Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Okay, I'll give you the Recent items/documents is rather annoying, but so far i've managed to work round it without even really thinking about it, other than a "darn, I could have done with a jump list right about now" The upside is that the jump list is now part of the launch for each application.
    For example, if you pin MS Word to your taskbar and right click it, it shows you your recent word docs. and so far for me, that's been plenty fine.
    Let me pose a more difficult task to you then: How do you close a full screen Metro App without Alt+F4? Fully close, not just switch to something else.

Under the hood, Windows 8 is great. The main problem lies within its UI because it was rushed.

The 3 main problems with Windows 8 UI are:
    1) Ugly
    - Removal of Aero

2) Hidden
    - Hidden features require you to search or know that its there
    - Advanced Settings are hidden and require mouse gestures to access
    - For example in the IE app, the address bar is hidden unless you right click
    - In contrast, Windows Phone 7 always has a telltale icon that leads you to hidden functions
    - Shut down button is hidden behind 3 layers 1) Mouse to lower right corner, 2) Click settings, 3) Right click power icon

3) Start Menu
    - Why full screen?
    - Start menu could have easily been a 2-3 column menu that peeks out from the left side
    - Why hide the new 'App Taskbar'? Why not just merge it with the existing task bar. Lets face it, Metro Apps are just full screen programs, no different than full screen games.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-07 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would have to say my biggest complaint is that it is unstable, very unstable, it crashes about 10 times a day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Let me pose a more difficult task to you then: How do you close a full screen Metro App without Alt+F4? Fully close, not just switch to something else.
    mouse into the top left corner, right click, click close. Or drag the top to the bottom of the screen.

The 3 main problems with Windows 8 UI are:
    1) Ugly
    - Removal of Aero
    Actually I kinda like this, no more do I have half my programs trying to disable Aero to free up memory it doesn't need, or constantly being told I have to turn off Aero for this reason or that reason. And windows and taskbars are still semi=transparent. So the Aero idea isn't completely gone.
    2) Hidden
    - Hidden features require you to search or know that its there
    - Advanced Settings are hidden and require mouse gestures to access
    - For example in the IE app, the address bar is hidden unless you right click
    - In contrast, Windows Phone 7 always has a telltale icon that leads you to hidden functions
    - Shut down button is hidden behind 3 layers 1) Mouse to lower right corner, 2) Click settings, 3) Right click power icon
    What hidden features?
    Advanced Settings? You mean Control Panel or "Change PC Settings"? Not something even a power user would use every day.
    Okay, you got me on that one, I have always agree'd that it could do with some indication of open apps and hotspots. But once you learn the hotspots they're quite easy to use actually. But to be honest if your web browsing in a metro app, on a desktop pc, your doing it wrong.
    Some would argue you don't need a shut down. But then again we all complained that you had to press start to shut down, so pick your poison. Again though, it's not something you'r likely to use EVERYTIME you open the start menu.
    3) Start Menu
    - Why full screen?
    - Start menu could have easily been a 2-3 column menu that peeks out from the left side
    - Why hide the new 'App Taskbar'? Why not just merge it with the existing task bar. Lets face it, Metro Apps are just full screen programs, no different than full screen games.
    Tiles, can't think of any other reason..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i would have to say my biggest complaint is that it is unstable, very unstable, it crashes about 10 times a day
    Really? Mine's crashed twice in 4 months. Both times due to NVIDIA's drivers.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-11-07 at 11:27 PM.

mouse into the top left corner, right click, click close. Or drag the top to the bottom of the screen.
    Inconvenient right?

Actually I kinda like this, no more do I have half my programs trying to disable Aero to free up memory it doesn't need, or constantly being told I have to turn off Aero for this reason or that reason.
    I have never had this problem. Your computer might not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7. In that case, the cut down 'Tabletized' Windows 8 would be a great fit.

What hidden features?
    Advanced Settings? You mean Control Panel or "Change PC Settings"? Not something even a power user would use every day.
    Okay, you got me on that one, I have always agree'd that it could do with some indication of open apps and hotspots. But once you learn the hotspots they're quite easy to use actually.
    First off, the 'Close Apps without Alt+F4' that was hidden. You had to mouse over in the correct area to find it. Anywhere you have to mouse over is considered hidden, including the lower left corner mouse over. In the start menu, there is actually a settings bar at the bottom but you must first right click an icon to activate it. While you could argue that its more like a right-click context menu, there are a couple of important 'non context menu' buttons in that bar: primarily the 'All Programs' button.

Moreover, you have a problem with multiple mapping due to mouseover. If I put an icon in the upper right, lower left or even on the right or left side of my screen, my motion to click it will sometimes be misconstrued as trying to open this 'hidden' menu. All in all, its not good design.

Some would argue you don't need a shut down. But then again we all complained that you had to press start to shut down, so pick your poison. Again though, it's not something you'r likely to use EVERYTIME you open the start menu.
    A desktop computer at the very minimum (assuming Ivy Bridge) consumes 50W of power. Older computers consume 100W of power. Thats 2-4 light bulbs worth of power you're wasting for no reason.

Shutdown fixes many many problems with Windows. Especially since on and off is so fast, why not shut down?

And I don't think anyone complained that we had to hit Start to shut down. I much rather press 1 button than 3 on Windows 8. Moreover, you have to search for it and its location is quite unintuitive.

All in all, when we get new stuff, we expect it to be better. At the very least, not worse. When we went from the 'shut down menu' back in XP to the '1-click shut down' in Vista, everyone was ecstatic. Why did we regress with Windows 8? The same argument can be made with a lot of the UI changes made in Windows 8.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-07 at 11:35 PM.

I've been using windows 8 for about a year now and i've kinda gotten accustomed to the metro screen. I found myself missing it when i tried 7.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    Who really cares about Win8? I'd be using my windows XP still if it weren't for the RAM issues. 99% of the people just open their browser or whatever game they want to play and that's it. You don't need to upgrade your OS for that.

Deleted
    Okay, I'll give you the Recent items/documents is rather annoying, but so far i've managed to work round it without even really thinking about it, other than a "darn, I could have done with a jump list right about now" The upside is that the jump list is now part of the launch for each application.
    It has been part of pinned applications in Windows 7 all along, which brings us back to square one: the (desktop) user interface of windows 7 is superior to the one in W8, which is why I'm not too happy with MS. They come up with an improved windows under the hood plus some nice features and then spoil it with stupid UI decisions based on the policy to push for the tablet market.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2012-11-08 at 12:17 AM.

Irrelevant, you use X79 and didn't install it properly. This is known with Windows and X79 since before.

Deleted
    My dad installed it on some laptop. He got it for free before it was launched due to some work thing and I have to say no way. The UI is just BAD and ugly. Maybe if they release windows classic look as an update but before they do, Im sticking with Win 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Irrelevant, you use X79 and didn't install it properly. This is known with Windows and X79 since before.
    multiplatform stability is irrelevent? especially considering 2k12 and C606

and how do you incorrectly install an OS?

multiplatform stability is irrelevent? especially considering 2k12 and C606

and how do you incorrectly install an OS?
    X79 and the s-ATA ports have funky interaction with Windows. I don't have first-hand experience with this, but I know that Sweclockers can't use the same image file and they can't use different partitions; They have to clean install it every time for X79 to work at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    X79 and the s-ATA ports have funky interaction with Windows. I don't have first-hand experience with this, but I know that Sweclockers can't use the same image file and they can't use different partitions; They have to clean install it every time for X79 to work at all.
    what board are they using, i haven't heard this at all with the RIVE, and W7 is beyond enterprise stable on x79, unless maybe they are using the launch day bios

what board are they using, i haven't heard this at all with the RIVE, and W7 is beyond enterprise stable on x79, unless maybe they are using the launch day bios
    All of them? :P And they get really wonky performance unless they clean install it.

I installed it on my laptop as a test, i loved it so much i purchased a second copy for my desktop. Im amazed. it fixed the issue my laptop has had from day 1 an run fast as hell, my desktop has even started to run better. sadly i still get bsod on my desktop but that happened in W7 too but thats because its about 5yrs old, getting dodgy and has a faulty gfx card... I have no desire to go back. i just wish WMP could play DVDs
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2012-11-08 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    All of them? :P And they get really wonky performance unless they clean install it.
    thats not the first time i've seen/heard of problems with imaging, it's not exclusive to x79, but most of the time it's resolved with a bios update (it's one of the big reasons enterprise is pushing towards VDI with thin clients, no more imaging)

but i've always done a clean install on my desktop anyway, but i've noticed that a majority of my crashes occur when using silverlight or flash, and having a 3d game running, so im assuming that its an issue with hardware acceleration and the w8 drivers, shutting off hardware acceleration in both and then doing a clean reinstall of the 306 drivers seems to have helped, about 20 hours and no crashes

10+ Year Old Account
    Inconvenient right?
    Sure, for the first couple of days, then you get used to it.

I have never had this problem. Your computer might not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7. In that case, the cut down 'Tabletized' Windows 8 would be a great fit.
    You can see my signature right? I promise you, I have never run a computer that is anything but mid-to-high performance.

First off, the 'Close Apps without Alt+F4' that was hidden. You had to mouse over in the correct area to find it. Anywhere you have to mouse over is considered hidden, including the lower left corner mouse over. In the start menu, there is actually a settings bar at the bottom but you must first right click an icon to activate it. While you could argue that its more like a right-click context menu, there are a couple of important 'non context menu' buttons in that bar: primarily the 'All Programs' button.
    Okay, I'm not really sure I'd count that as a feature, but okay. It's pretty much second nature to me now. and personally I actually do kind of like the interface now I know where stuff is.

Moreover, you have a problem with multiple mapping due to mouseover. If I put an icon in the upper right, lower left or even on the right or left side of my screen, my motion to click it will sometimes be misconstrued as trying to open this 'hidden' menu. All in all, its not good design.
    I can honestly say, I've never had this problem, so unless your running some insanely huge resolution (800x600, or lower) I can't see this being an issue, (maybe you just need more practice with your hand-eye co-ordination. (No offence) But you do have to get right into the corner, before the hotspot activates.

A desktop computer at the very minimum (assuming Ivy Bridge) consumes 50W of power. Older computers consume 100W of power. Thats 2-4 light bulbs worth of power you're wasting for no reason.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a number of posts on these forums, suggesting you hibernate, or just plain hit the off switch and not go through the whole windows shutdown procedure.

Shutdown fixes many many problems with Windows. Especially since on and off is so fast, why not shut down?

And I don't think anyone complained that we had to hit Start to shut down. I much rather press 1 button than 3 on Windows 8. Moreover, you have to search for it and its location is quite unintuitive.
    I do. I wasn't suggesting you didn't shut down. Personally I have never liked sleep or hibernate, they create more issues than they solve (for me anyway).
    and Oh please, it's only been the running joke about Windows/Microsoft ever since they introduced a start menu. The fact it isn't right in your face is actually a good thing, It's not really something you need pinned to the desktop for example, or placed in a menu you used 500+ times a day when you only use that option once MAYBE twice a day, and the majority of people use it (on purpose) a lot less than that, with a huge number of accidental shutdowns/restarts.

All in all, when we get new stuff, we expect it to be better. At the very least, not worse. When we went from the 'shut down menu' back in XP to the '1-click shut down' in Vista, everyone was ecstatic. Why did we regress with Windows 8? The same argument can be made with a lot of the UI changes made in Windows 8.
    Sure okay, I'd agree with you on that.

I'd also like to point out that chances are if your posting here, discussing features of Win8 and making decent comparisons with something to back your claims up, you aren't really part of Microsoft's MAIN target audience which is usually mostly (computer)illiterate.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Who really cares about Win8? I'd be using my windows XP still if it weren't for the RAM issues. 99% of the people just open their browser or whatever game they want to play and that's it. You don't need to upgrade your OS for that.
    Most "modern" motherboards have this option with their own built in thin OS specifically for browsing the net and checking email. (I've never tried using it, but I've definitely been seeing the option to for a while now.

Deleted
    I don't have time so I'll keep it short.

The backend is a huge improvement over Windows 7. Filehandling, Process/Resourcemanagement, Downloading/Copying, native ISO Mounting etc.

The native frontend is a bother. But It's very easy to fix and never see Metro again. I've been using Windows 8 for a few months now, after a hardware failure I had to revert to Windows 7 for a while and boy. The installation and setup was such a chore compared to 8. The startup speed also really starts to bother me now I'm used to 8.

Sidenote:

The Surface Pro with the typecover seems absolutely amazing. (I'll be waiting for a Haswell/Broadwell based Surface 2 though).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I installed it on my laptop as a test, i loved it so much i purchased a second copy for my desktop. Im amazed. it fixed the issue my laptop has had from day 1 an run fast as hell, my desktop has even started to run better. sadly i still get bsod on my desktop but that happened in W7 too but thats because its about 5yrs old, getting dodgy and has a faulty gfx card... I have no desire to go back. i just wish WMP could play DVDs
    I have never had this problem, but for those of you who do, check out this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...o-Media-Centre

10+ Year Old Account
    a bit of irony i do see with W8:

with W7, tweeking the UI by removing the start orb and adding a full screen overlay menu is seen as incredibly cool and geeky

it comes by default in W8 and everybody hates it

10+ Year Old Account
    a bit of irony i do see with W8:

with W7, tweeking the UI by removing the start orb and adding a full screen overlay menu is seen as incredibly cool and geeky

it comes by default in W8 and everybody hates it
    Lol, yeah I had seen this too...