Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    I could have sworn scientists were working on a method to travel through space faster than light (well technically the space around the ship would be traveling faster than light, the ship itself would not).
    It requires materials that might not exist, or we might never find and energy beyond our capabilities.

from hence forth it shall be named. Reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Best thing would be to move people there that would want to live there. A much bigger waste to use it as storage or harvesting it's resources which would take many trips, instead of just one trip there to drop people off instead. Hell, if we had the ability to go faster than the speed of light, even by 2 times as fast, I'd be willing to make that 21 year trip for the experience of being a founding member of a new planet.

Who wouldnt. But what ive been thinking is that then we would become a different kind of human? Because we have taken out certian factors about what we are know and we will prob evolve at different rates...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Everyone is talking about moving there. Have you thought that the planet could be billions of years old, and it has been enough to have life in it evolve, just like every other earth like planet may have? And all life certainly won't be nice to humans, especially if it's base compenents are different than ours

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Wow. Everyone is talking about moving there. Have you thought that the planet could be billions of years old, and it has been enough to have life in it evolve, just like every other earth like planet may have? And all life certainly won't be nice to humans, especially if it's base compenents are different than ours
    Well yes that might be true... But we could like in co-existance?
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I think jumping to the conclusion that there is EVIL ALIENS on this planet is a bigger leap than suggesting maybe we should move there waaay in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    That's why we bring guns. Big ones, and lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    42 light years.

its probably not there anymore and if it is it is probably not habitable.
    42 light years is right next door, actually...our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years wide so...yeah. It would probably be a few thousand years but it seems very well possible that humans will one day be able to travel at least at around 99% of light speed for sure.

Either way, this is nothing to get too excited about yet....they make discoveries all the time and we are really in the early stages of truly exploring and understanding the universe around us. Despite all the negative crap about how evil humans can be to one another, Earth really is an amazing phenomenon when you think about it. I don't doubt there are other advanced life forms out there *somewhere* but IMO I don't expect it to be this close to home.

It's a shame we'll all be dead most likely by the time any of this ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycon View Post
    Indeed - looking at ways of applying a theory suggested in the 90s involving contracting space in front of the craft and expanding it behind it.
    Yo: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ive-plausible/

15+ Year Old Account
    This is actually pretty interesting stuff, what fascinates me is the images we'll see of it are from before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye, so to speak.

I hope we get to hear more about it over the next years.

Deleted
    Warp 6 - Engage!

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall reading an article recently about a group that constructed a miniature scale proof-of-concept for one of these. The ring design required vast amounts of energy impossible to create with current technology. However, they realized that it became more realistic when they changed the ring to more of a donut-shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It requires materials that might not exist, or we might never find and energy beyond our capabilities.
    Currently yes. That's where science kicks in! After all if anyone expects to get there on fossil fuel is delusional at best.

o_O Mr Douglas Adams was on to something...

Deleted
    Future telescopes could see 42 lightyears away? That's pretty amazing. Talk about oogling far into space.

Isn't this the fourth possibly habitable planet by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    I think jumping to the conclusion that there is EVIL ALIENS on this planet is a bigger leap than suggesting maybe we should move there waaay in the future.
    Well there doesn't need to be "evil aliens" on the planet. There could just be life that would tear us apart similar to the dinosaurs or maybe something 10x larger and nastier. Or maybe there is intelligent life there that just wouldn't want us to move in.

Obviously there is no way to know that but if we are talking about a planet that might have life you never know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by syio View Post
    o_o mr douglas adams was on to something...
    dun dun duuuun!

NASA has found potential habitable planet to ruin, and then destroy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    42 light years.

its probably not there anymore and if it is it is probably not habitable.
    you do realize 42 light years makes the light we see 42 year old right? how much bad shit do you think could hapen in 42 years?
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P