Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    about the xeons , would a true octo-core actually yield a better performance in games compared to a similar clocked quad-core?
    no, hyperthreads are 98% effective as a real core, so look at the performance of a 3770k to see that, the main issue is that games are not coded to be multi threaded optimal, mainly because most are console ports

about the xeons , would a true octo-core actually yield a better performance in games compared to a similar clocked quad-core?
    If you specifically mean in game performance probably not. If you are talking about having a million things doing on while still playing that game then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    See a lot of people miss a lot of things when they see a server CPU when in actuality the CPU can do a bit more than simple gaming benchs show, do not forget that benchs are done on fresh windows installed machines w/ nothing else but the benchmark running so those #'s are not realistic, it could be said the tech on a server cpu can handle some functions a bit better, and then we have the dual CPU boards and etc but no I get your meaning still this is the real world in the real world, a dodge viper is 90k~ USD and is a terror to be contested in the same fashion the next vehicle capable of competing against it is near 210k USD, not even the 90-180k Euro supercars are on the level, still if you want fast and sexy would you be wrong to buy a ferrari? If we went by clear and common sense everything would be identical w/ no variation.
    In a straight line a Viper might outperform a Ferrari, but show the two cars some corners, maybe a mountain pass, and the ferrari will win that round. If you get your hands on a le mans SRT-10 it might be equal. But the same goes for xeon versus i5/i7: the Xeon blitzes them when it comes to computation - encryption, compression, calculations. But show a game a 2.8GHz octo-core and a 4.6GHz OC'd 3570k and the i5 will win or at worst play comparably well, because games need fewer high-power cores instead of lots of slightly slower threads. Xeon processors are not designed to be used for gaming, just like a muscle car on steroids like a Viper or a Mercedes SL65 AMG Black is not designed for a road with multiple corners and hairpins.

Two different jobs, two different tools. The trick is knowing which one to get to do the job at hand.

inux94, with all due respect, posting all the screenshot seems a bit... "kiddie"... we also don't know what were your comments, we only know what you are posting here... and even if he was a douche, just get over it, people who support him will continue supporting him, and people that hate him, will continue hating him, no matter what the messages he sent those guys were.

so, if you don't like the guy, it's ok, but this thread has turned into a "he told me this, I told him that, blah blah" that was common between the kids at elementary schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    no, hyperthreads are 98% effective as a real core, so look at the performance of a 3770k to see that, the main issue is that games are not coded to be multi threaded optimal, mainly because most are console ports
    Well, if you look @ BF3 which is probably the best PC/Console game to exist, then you'll note it does not have Aim assist where as the Medal of Honor Warfighter game does feature aim assist and complete Xbox 360 controller functionality. This in turn makes controller users have a severe edge over mouse/keyboard as Auto Aim is terrible on mouse/keyboard and will cause more jitters off target than keeping you on. More over the basic differences are graphics and controls. Which basically means more and more PC games are just rebranded Xbox or ps3 games, and honestly as a developer you pray for console money.

Deleted
    If you specifically mean in game performance probably not. If you are talking about having a million things doing on while still playing that game then yes.
    well it was about the ultimate gaming rig right?
    also who would dare to OC a chip of 2grand? (or even 2 )

10+ Year Old Account
    it's about the same as overclocking a 1 grand chip, but the xeons cant be overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In a straight line a Viper might outperform a Ferrari, but show the two cars some corners, maybe a mountain pass, and the ferrari will win that round. If you get your hands on a le mans SRT-10 it might be equal. But the same goes for xeon versus i5/i7: the Xeon blitzes them when it comes to computation - encryption, compression, calculations. But show a game a 2.8GHz octo-core and a 4.6GHz OC'd 3570k and the i5 will win or at worst play comparably well, because games need fewer high-power cores instead of lots of slightly slower threads. Xeon processors are not designed to be used for gaming, just like a muscle car on steroids like a Viper or a Mercedes SL65 AMG Black is not designed for a road with multiple corners and hairpins.

Two different jobs, two different tools. The trick is knowing which one to get to do the job at hand.
    Actually the viper will dust the ferrari in everything, ferrari is not all wheel drive and does not have the 40~ years of differential tweaks since the inception of posi-rear. The viper is the epitomy of $ to performance in the car world, nothing has touched it in the price segment except 1 car and it is not legal in the U.S. for anything but racing and that is the skyline. Then you factor in Nissan is the Japanese rebirth of Dodge, (only in performance domination). Now i'd agree stepping into the $300,000+ area could net better overall performance but not 100% performance increase like the cost would be near or higher than 100%.

Deleted
    it's about the same as overclocking a 1 grand chip, but the xeons cant be overclocked
    not even with custom bios?
    also if not oc'able wouldn't an oc'ed quad win hands down with ingame performance?
    also i understand price won't influence the process but it would certainly trigger "lets not fuck up this expensive piece of tech" in ones mind :P

well it was about the ultimate gaming rig right?
    Don't forget the average gamer does more on his PC at any given time than your average PC user. Then we have the gamer mentality well I want the best, and if i can do it why dont I atleast try? Which leads to more youtube videos being made, more sony vegas purchases, and flat out in most cases more people learning. So if a cpu can offer more than just FPS in the game im playing and the FPS im looking for then we have a winner. I'd also say if I was idk being funded by a company, like a software or game developer Id go for broke.

Now to point #2 if you have that kind of money to blow on entertainment you probably care less than the person trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of $1000 total. Basically meaning if you cant just throw away money and your afraid to O.C why would you even think to O.C a $200 chip?

Never heard of motherboard.org before, but I definitely won't be looking at it anytime soon now!

10+ Year Old Account
    also if not oc'able wouldn't an oc'ed quad win hands down with ingame performance?
    also i understand price won't influence the process but it would certainly trigger "lets not fuck up this expensive piece of tech" in ones mind :P
    they are like a non-k model chip, the multiplier is locked

Its not this is expensive I dont want to break it, it is Im not able to afford another one lets not break it. Who is more likely to be afraid? The guy who scrounged $1000 up to build a new machine or the guy who was like screw it and drops $8000 on a new build? Im going with the guy who pinched pennies is more afraid cuz it is all he has and it was harder for him to get.

Snip
    I've seen other people compare computers/computer components to cars and I've never really understood the comparison for a couple of reasons:

1. A high-end sports car can be an investment. Properly maintained they can last decades (and remain viable). No matter how well you maintain a computer, it will be outdated within a few years.
    2. Cars really only serve one purpose, ultimately: transportation. They were all built to be a vehicle. Sure, some might do it faster than others, or look better while doing it, but their ultimate purpose is: transportation. CPUs, on the other hand, are built to tailor to a specific function. Xeons were not designed for gaming PCs, they were designed for enterprise level servers. To quote the Xeon Wikipedia page:
      The Xeon ( /ˈziːɒn/) is a brand of multiprocessing- or multi-socket-capable x86 microprocessors from Intel Corporation targeted at the non-consumer workstation, server, and embedded system markets.
      Intel never intended for them to be used as gaming CPUs.

But really, my first point is my most important one. Why, on Earth, would you spend 1333% more on a pair of processors that will not last any longer nor perform any better than a single 3770K (or even a 3570K)?

Calling something "ULTIMATE!" does not give anyone the excuse to waste money like they just won the lottery, in my opinion, and that was the point I made in the comments of the YouTube video. What if someone who might not have $4000 to spend on CPUs went out and did it anyway because "Elric said it was the Ultimate Gaming PC!"? He should have, at the very least, explained that the performance gain was minuscule to nonexistent.

But really, this is neither here nor there. The thread is about Elric and him losing motherboards.org, I was just sharing my bad experience with him. Even if I had been the biggest douchebag in the world (I wasn't, I was quite constructive), it wouldn't justify a "professional" reviewer responding like that.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-09 at 03:19 PM.

they are like a non-k model chip, the multiplier is locked
    If im not mistaked older Xeons could and were heavily O.Ced but the brand new ivy arch is set for reliability and stability, and apparently you can hit 4.0Ghz w/ Bclk OC however it is a hit or miss situation on stability.

As far as the car analogies go, I'll just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

You can not, and will never be able to, overclock a 2011 Xeon processor other than messing with the bCLK, which can make the system incredibly unstable, just like with the Core i5 and i7 series processors.
    That's kinda what we've been saying

10+ Year Old Account
    If im not mistaked older Xeons could and were heavily O.Ced but the brand new ivy arch is set for reliability and stability, and apparently you can hit 4.0Ghz w/ Bclk OC however it is a hit or miss situation on stability.
    yes, the older non SB-E chips could be overclocked, the SB-E ones cant, making boards like the SR-X pointless, which is very evident in it's design, EVGA started out with the idea to make the greatest MB you could get, and when intel announced that xeons would be locked, it tore their heart out and they just cobbled the rest together to not waste research and put something on the market

Never liked this guy. His replies to constructive comments were always immature and sometimes racist

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I've seen other people compare computers/computer components to cars and I've never really understood the comparison for a couple of reasons:

1. A high-end sports car can be an investment. Properly maintained they can last decades (and remain viable). No matter how well you maintain a computer, it will be outdated within a few years.
    2. Cars really only serve one purpose, ultimately: transportation. They were all built to be a vehicle. Sure, some might do it faster than others, or look better while doing it, but their ultimate purpose is: transportation. CPUs, on the other hand, are built to tailor to a specific function. Xeons were not designed for gaming PCs, they were designed for enterprise level servers. To quote the Xeon Wikipedia page:

Intel never intended for them to be used as gaming CPUs.

But really, my first point is my most important one. Why, on Earth, would you spend 1333% more on a pair of processors that will not last any longer nor perform any better than a single 3770K (or even a 3570K)? Calling something "ULTIMATE!" does not give anyone the excuse to throw away money, in my opinion, and that was the point I made in the comments of the YouTube video.
    No such thing as a gaming CPU period, none of them are intended for gaming. The internet is the information "superhighway" this is where the whole car concept comes from. At a professional level a pc can be a better investment than a car, especially considering how far you can project yourself into a conference via Video streaming etc. Yes the word "ultimate" does give the excuse when left just as is to throw money away, maybe you yourself could not justify spending it but that is not the point stop trying to impose your opinion which quite honestly isnt even on track to the concept. People pay for insanely overpriced apple products, if you are not spending it do not worry about it. This is seriously like giving a review of a video game or movie thats is supposed to be unbiased yet you spit only opinion based thoughts, you cannot say this sucked I hated the story, for instance halo 4 I love but I can point out the problems right away with control/hit detection/odd glitches etc which are not too bad currently but should be fixed imo, again opinion on some things, it is definitely required that they fix the hosting/hit detection issues very very soon. However If I wasnt going in to detail with specific issues and was just love halo clearly halo 4 will be awesome then Id just not be constructive to the topic, which is reviewing the product from all aspects, if its a non budgeted computer build meant to not only play every game out but also just be that behemoth look at my Epeen rig then any and all opinions are price to performance are completely null and devoid of any constructiveness at all. This is all it really comes down to.

Also the entire point of a car and a computer is convenience, they both make a ton of things convenient or more convenient. Ontop of that your muscle car or tricked out rice burner is something people would tinker with mod etc, I think I have one of those sitting on my desk...

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    As far as the car analogies go, I'll just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
    Hey whoa whoa whoa, no posting CAR benchmarks thats crazy talk bringing relevance to this!