Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sorry, I shouldn't have used anecdotal evidence.

I have found evidence, however, that shows that most Democrats are opposed to nuclear power.
    About half of Republicans (49%) favor the expanded use of nuclear power compared with 41% of independents and 31% of Democrats. There were comparable partisan differences in these views last October.
    Source: http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1934/sup...l-gas-drilling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Sorry, I shouldn't have used anecdotal evidence.

I have found evidence, however, that shows that most Democrats are opposed to nuclear power.

Source: http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1934/sup...l-gas-drilling
    Careful there; you're attempting to extrapolate the response to a specific incident to overall viewpoints. Its perfectly valid in the face of a disaster to be more cautious about a specific area, and have a desire to see more safety protocols implemented before a resource is implemented rather than pretend it never happened. A lot was learned from being critical of the incidents at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    At the state level they're behind a lot of morality laws. At the federal level, idk Patriot act?
    That was bipartisan, and Obama has an even worse track-record than Bush does when it comes to violations of our civil liberties. Obama supports the NDAA, Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, Federal Assault Weapons Ban, the Anti-Protest Bill, extrajudicial killings of American citizens, and drone strikes in Pakistan that allegedly kill 49 civilians for every 1 terrorist.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2012-11-15 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you realize that not all liberals are against nuclear power? or can we infer that a few = all, and declare conservatives pro-rape?
    or.. you could fess up that pro-choice, actually means pro-abortion and pro-dead baby... But that wouldn't be fair at all, just like your comment isn't even remotely fair either...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Careful there; you're attempting to extrapolate the response to a specific incident to overall viewpoints. Its perfectly valid in the face of a disaster to be more cautious about a specific area, and have a desire to see more safety protocols implemented before a resource is implemented rather than pretend it never happened. A lot was learned from being critical of the incidents at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.
    The poll from 2010 (prior to the tsunami) also shows the majority of Democrats opposing nuclear power, though by a smaller margin:

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't Bloomberg Republican for quite a while before deciding that they didn't properly represent his personal conservative views?
    Mayor Ninny is one of those that sticks his finger in the wind and follows the path of least resistance... he's Republican, he's Democrat, he's whatever suits him.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

If you don't tell a 14 year old boy how STD's work and how to use a condom properly, when will he learn exactly? As for abstinence as the main line, that is a given, but he was specifically referring to groups advocating abstinence only education.
    Fair enough. However, I still wouldn't consider that to be "anti-science," just a different view point.

Democrats have been known to ignore statistics when they don't fit into their agenda as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to republicans trying to regulate it out of existence.
    Sure, as soon as y'all stop trying to make the taxpayer pay for them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough. However, I still wouldn't consider that to be "anti-science," just a different view point.

Democrats have been known to ignore statistics when they don't fit into their agenda as well.
    And Republicans don't?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account

Oh, of course. Ultimately it'll be hard to not find a politician willing to bend things to get what he wants done, no matter the side. But I've always found that the Republican party appears more willing to leap on this tactic, and the process of this latest election did little to disillusion this viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Mayor Ninny is one of those that sticks his finger in the wind and follows the path of least resistance... he's Republican, he's Democrat, he's whatever suits him.
    He was never a real Republican, he's always been a leftist at heart. He is perhaps the most vocal anti-gun rights person in the world. He also supports universal healthcare, amnesty for illegals, and abortion; plus he endorsed Obama.

He only ran as a Republican, because he thought he could become president someday. Eventually he realized that with such unpopular views, he would never become president. He then left the Republican Party and set himself up as Emperor of New York City.

That was bipartisan, and Obama has an even worse track-record than Bush does when it comes to violations of our civil liberties.
    Moving goalposts.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 05:39 AM ----------

Sure, as soon as y'all stop trying to make the taxpayer pay for them...
    tax payers don't pay for them. You're also moving goal posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like that argument. On another forum I go to, someone pointed out something very interesting. In other countries, the people (or at least, their representatives) decided for themselves whether or not they wanted abortion to be legal, and they did so in a democratic manner. In America, that never happened, instead we had a group of unelected bureaucrats deciding for us. There was no national conversation and there was no closure, hence why it's still a major issue today.
    Thing is... regardless of my personal view on abortion, of which I wont be sharing with you... its legal... if you had a vote for it, either way it would still be legal, because if you ended up 60-40 agaisnt it... and made a law about it based on the election, it would be overturned in the Supreme Court.

Good or Bad, its the law, if you want the law changed vote in a President and hope like hell that you get the chance to appoint enough Supreme Court Justices that will revisit Roe v Wade.

And I dont see the Supremes revisiting it anytime in our lifetimes.

This IS a case of stop beating your head on the bloody fucking wall... find something else to fight about... and there WAS a national conversation about it... 40 damn years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    And Republicans don't?
    Most politicians do, hence the "as well."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't tell a 14 year old boy how STD's work and how to use a condom properly, when will he learn exactly? As for abstinence as the main line, that is a given, but he was specifically referring to groups advocating abstinence only education.
    His PARENTS should take an active role in his education, and his health, instead of passing it to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Just want to throw this out there:

Seeing Indiana in the red list makes me sad, I live in Indiana I'm well educated and I wanted Obama :| Though I have to agree most of the people around here are morons. very few are .... intelligent.

His PARENTS should take an active role in his education, and his health, instead of passing it to the government.
    Yeah how dare the we want schools to teach things that kids need to function in the world.

Yeah how dare the we want schools to teach things that kids need to function in the world.
    To be fair, sex should be something the parents educate their children on, not the government. However, we don't live in an ideal world and there are some pretty pathetic parents out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    And Republicans don't?
    Both parties do it... even people that are not in any parties do it... its one of those universal things... if someone doesn't like the facts or statistics of something... they look for other facts or stats to back their claim.. cherry picking if you will. Its not a new thing, its an old thing with a new paint job.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 11:45 PM ----------

He was never a real Republican, he's always been a leftist at heart. He is perhaps the most vocal anti-gun rights person in the world. He also supports universal healthcare, amnesty for illegals, and abortion; plus he endorsed Obama.

He only ran as a Republican, because he thought he could become president someday. Eventually he realized that with such unpopular views, he would never become president. He then left the Republican Party and set himself up as Emperor of New York City.
    You know, you might be onto something here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Right now, they seem more inclined to double down. Many of them were living in a bubble when it came to information and truly believed Romney was going to get 300+ votes. As such, rather than adjust to the reality of what occurred, they simply have to deny that it's a result of their own policy positions.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 05:57 PM ----------

No, there are not.

No, they are not. For example, the opinion that women can't get pregnant when they're raped is not just as valid as my thoughts on the matter. The belief that evolution is a "lie from the pit of hell" is not just as valid as my thoughts. The idea that all opinions are equally valid is nonsense.

Those disgusting beliefs held by some republicans shouldn't be viewed as if all republicans agree with them. When statements like those you mentioned are said, especially on a nationwide level, it is irresponsible. I also think judging an entire group of people based on the opinions on some is irresponsible.

Based on the election results reported by the AP the President won my a mere 3.47 million votes. That really isn't that much, just under 3% of the vote. Just because the media and celebrities tend to endorse the democratic party doesn't mean that there are more dems then republicans, and that certainly doesn't make their beliefs more valid.

I don't identify myself as either party. I tend to lean more to the left on most issues. But after this election I don't know, a lot of the liberals and dems got a little out of hand on this one. Not that the right wing doesn't do their fair share of the cray.