Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People do not help humanity by taking flu shots; it is purely to avoid getting ill for a few days. There is really no need for anyone who are not in (any significant) danger of dying to take these vaccines, as it promotes, the allready frequent, mutation of the virus.

Personally, I think people should be careful with the medication (mainly the pre-emptive, but also many prescription pills) the take. Most (not all) are really not necessary and just change your biology in ways we have no control over.

I am not saying you should avoid medicine in general, just think about what you do/take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    That goes both ways.

It's a stupid argument on your part to make me want to "admit defeat".

Why are you doing that... for the same reason that you just claimed I did, you are no better than I am.

Why don't doctors recommend that normal healthy adults get a flu shot if it's potentially deadly?
    I'm going to guess they don't because there is always a shortage of flu shots and they want the people most at risk to get it first. This isn't to say that normal healthy adults are not at risk, just less at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    That goes both ways.
    It sure does. The difference is that I have a reasonable basis for asserting that I know what I'm talking about. I work with vaccines and basic immunology for a living.

It's a stupid argument on your part to make me want to "admit defeat".
    Well, admitting wrongness when someone demonstrates that you're wrong is a decent thing to do. It's a great way to learn things about the world.

Why don't doctors recommend that normal healthy adults get a flu shot if it's potentially deadly?
    They do, if those people are around at risk people. If they're not, it's a cost-benefit issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Also, doctors DO recommend that normal, healthy adults get flu shots. They just don't recommend it as strongly as they do those more at risk so as not to lessen the impact of those recommendations.
    Maybe in America? My doctors Discourage it unless the see you as being in the "danger-zone"

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    I never had a flu shot because i'm against it, I rather get sick and let my body handle it. Perhaps when i am of old age i shall consider it, but atm i'm young and my body needs to create anti-bodies.
    That's what vaccines do - cause your body to produce antibodies and produce memory B cells that crank up rapid antibody responses when exposed to the targeted pathogen. If you desire antibodies, go get the vaccine!

Quote Originally Posted by guff View Post
    Maybe in America? My doctors Discourage it unless the see you as being in the "danger-zone"
    It is probably regionally dependent because many doctors don't like to recommend things that cost a lot of money, and the vaccinations are less effective in areas with a lot of people who aren't at as high a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    I don't get them cause our bodies already fight off these illnesses, things like smallpox i can understand but its the flu I've gone 23 years and had the flu maybe 4 times.
    No, you haven't had the flu four times. How many times do people in the thread have to say, "a cold is not the flu"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, you haven't had the flu four times. How many times do people in the thread have to say, "a cold is not the flu"?
    Probably many more times.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

What exactly is a "partially dead" germ?

I'm sure.
    Umm apparently you have no idea what vaccines are, so move along.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    Dead is a binary status. You can't be partially dead. You can be weakened.

But you can be mostly dead as long as your goal is to bluff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why people are so content with suffering through the flu for a week to two weeks. You don't have to. Get the vaccine.

Having a fever, bodyaches, headaches, stuffy nose...that shit sucks. There's really no reason why you should compromise your immune system when you don't have to.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    This whole thread is a massive demonstration of the Dunning-Kruger effect, but there's no better example than this one.

Deleted
    I've never had any medicine other than paracetamol, which is weak as fuck. With that said, I don't really believe people should get flu shots all the time, as (afaik) it weakens their immune system if you always get a shot, as you dont build anything to fight off other strands of the virus/disease etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I've never had any medicine other than paracetamol, which is weak as fuck. With that said, I don't really believe people should get flu shots all the time, as (afaik) it weakens their immune system if you always get a shot, as you dont build anything to fight off other strands of the virus/disease etc.
    I'm not really sure where people get these ideas from. It sure isn't from any sort of biology classes. It's amazing how many things people just hear somewhere then repeat as truth to others.

This whole thread is a massive demonstration of the Dunning-Kruger effect, but there's no better example than this one.
    Though I am sure you have an education in this field (or I hope you do, based on this topic and others like it), this comment is just too good to let fly by without a comment.

Oh, the irony!

Deleted
    I'm not really sure where people get these ideas from. It sure isn't from any sort of biology classes. It's amazing how many things people just hear somewhere then repeat as truth to others.
    Well, if you know its wrong, can't you elaborate instead? I'm not saying I'm a master of biology (far from, lol) but it would kinda make sense you're weaker without antibodies than with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are these ideas so prevalent? Is this a failure of the cdc?

Let's all get sick so we can strengthen our immune system!!! Don't use vaccines they weaken your immune system!!! The flu shot actually gives you the flu!!! I got the flu shot and then I immediately got the flu seven times!!!

People who say they get the flu when they get the shot...they're injecting a strand of the flu into you in hopes you become immune to it, you will get symptoms if not the full thing. All that said, screw getting a flu shot. I ain't havin that shit. I haven't got the flu since I haven't got the shot. Coincedence? maybe. But I dun care.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

no this whole thread is a example of the medical community and the companies behind them peddling there goods, and shoving them down our throats. got the sniffles heres a antibiotic, got a scratchy throat heres a antibiotic, and then wonder why peoples bodies have lost the ability to fight off infections, and are building immunities to the antibiotics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    People who say they get the flu when they get the shot...they're injecting a strand of the flu into you in hopes you become immune to it, you will get symptoms if not the full thing. All that said, screw getting a flu shot. I ain't havin that shit. I haven't got the flu since I haven't got the shot. Coincedence? maybe. But I dun care.
    You cannot get the flu from the flu shot. Not even a little.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by beuwulf View Post
    and then wonder why peoples bodies have lost the ability to fight off infections, and are building immunities to the antibiotics.
    What? This isn't happening. Peoples bodies are still perfectly capable of fighting off infections. Probably more so today than ever, and that's because of medicine and vaccines.