Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cop shooting dog in "self defense"

Omaha Nebraska..

Topic in the news currently, just in last nights news again...

Unbelievable.. Look closely....

Owner gets thrown to the ground. That jerks the dog back, almost flipped it over..
    Dog supposedly showing it's teeth with a growl... Cop shoots, kills the dog. Really?

I mean. come on!!! What's to expect of that animal?
    It's owner gets attacked. Dog itself gets scared and mishandled by jerking it..
    Yet it only growled, didn't even bark, let alone charging into anyone..

Granted, the guy should have listened to the cops when they asked him to stop, and not proceed into that direction.. But it's still uncalled for..
    And then they wonder why people refer to the ACAB term..

thats why they call it bromaha
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yet it only growled, didn't even bark, let alone charging into anyone..
    If a dog growls and not barks - it's beyond barking - it's gonna charge next.

What did you expect that cop (who saw that dog for the first time in his life, right?) to do? Test it?

Absolutly disgusting.

The guy isn't the brightest for not listening to stop in the first place, but from what I can see that was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post

What did you expect that cop (who saw that dog for the first time in his life, right?) to do? Test it?
    Cop should have shot himself.

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-13 at 08:05 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

It's the dudes fault and this is why the police are portrayed as being bad. Dude is told to stop at a spot where they are looking for an armed suspect and he just walks away...gets taken down. As for the dog I probably would have done the same thing in their shoes. Who knows what could have happened if he didn't shoot the dog and waited for it to attack(why would he do that anyway). It sucks I know and I wish it didn't happen but I don't blame the police in the least.

Watched the other half of the video...the whole "it had a clean record and has never done anything bad and is the nicest dog" doesn't hold up at all. I have seen dogs that are "the nicest dogs ever" go off randomly and tear into someones arms. All you can see in the video is the dogs nose and if you know what a dog looks like when it's pissed and about to attack its snout definitely looked like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Get help
    Last edited by EyelessCrow; 2012-11-13 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoe View Post
    Absolutly disgusting.

The guy isn't the brightest for not listening to stop in the first place, but from what I can see that was unnecessary.
    I wouldn't say disgusting, the officer can and probably get off due to as it will be put "reasonable suspicion of danger to his and other police health" which even though caused by the police involved will technically be true.

Now, Should he have shot the dog? No, I can tell you with absolute certainty that they're only supposed to go lethal at a point where they are sure their lives are threatened, which means he should have tazed or pepper sprayed(I can't remember for sure but might not work on dogs) the dog and called animal control since they detained the man.

Also, they're searching the area for an armed suspect and the guy ignores them, this can be taken as suspicion.

Now, after reading my post, I'm in no way defending the officer for what he's done, He was definitely not in the right shooting the dog, I just wouldn't go so far as to say disgusting.

if you think this is bad look at these http://youtu.be/yF20qqIN7zs
    http://youtu.be/8mvIWFXbHNo
    Police are out of control
    Last edited by Ailerist; 2012-11-13 at 04:21 PM. Reason: bad link

Not really. Plenty of dogs growl and bark then just run away when confronted. This officer just furthered the growing stereotype that police officers are just brainless thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    I wouldn't say disgusting, the officer can and probably get off due to as it will be put "reasonable suspicion of danger to his and other police health" which even though caused by the police involved will technically be true.

Now, Should he have shot the dog? No, I can tell you with absolute certainty that they're only supposed to go lethal at a point where they are sure their lives are threatened, which means he should have tazed or pepper sprayed(I can't remember for sure but might not work on dogs) the dog and called animal control since they detained the man.

Also, they're searching the area for an armed suspect and the guy ignores them, this can be taken as suspicion.

Now, after reading my post, I'm in no way defending the officer for what he's done, He was definitely not in the right shooting the dog, I just wouldn't go so far as to say disgusting.
    I agree, I suppose my using the word "disgusting" wasn't the best choice. And don't worry your post didn't come off as a defense.

I was actually about to edit my post to ask the same thing you just brought up, about the tazer.

No matter what though I think we can all agree, the guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailerist View Post
    if you think this is bad look at these http://youtu.be/yF20qqIN7zs
    http://youtu.be/8mvIWFXbH
    Police are out of control
    First one, definitely shouldn't have happened especially since he had the dog restrained on the pole, it should have gone to the pound with an advisement that it was acting aggressively, wouldn't be surprised if that officer was released from duty.

second one doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoe View Post
    I agree, I suppose my using the word "disgusting" wasn't the best choice. And don't worry your post didn't come off as a defense.

I was actually about to edit my post to ask the same thing you just brought up, about the tazer.

No matter what though I think we can all agree, the guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Agreed, I train with the local police in their explorer program for 6 more months till i can attend the academy, and I know their policy on this sort of thing, which is non lethal all the way, avoid contact with animals until animal control arrives on scene to access the animals behavior, not just outright shoot a leashed dog because it growls.

and that sort of policy is one that's held nation wide as a security to the officer type thing.

Now if the dog had charged at the officer sure, shoot it, at that point you can and probably should say you're fearful for your health/life, but a leashed dog growling is in no way a threat to the officer.
    Last edited by KeirAdish; 2012-11-13 at 04:25 PM.

It was the guy's fault for not listening. He got the dog killed. Sorry but the cop was just protecting himself and his partner from a stranger and potentially dangerous dog.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not really. Plenty of dogs growl and bark then just run away when confronted.
    And plenty of dogs go for it. Whenever there's such a gamble - shoot the dog.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    It was the guy's fault for not listening. He got the dog killed. Sorry but the cop was just protecting himself and his partner from a stranger and potentially dangerous dog.
    Don't botter, people will take any reason to hate cops. I feel sorry for most cops who actually do a good job and get bashed for it.

I don't know weither it was the right thing to do or not...but I wasn't there and it's not my place to judge. People like to play internet heros pretending they could have handled it better...in wich I guess it would turn out even worse in most cases.

So a man who was drunk claimed the dog was not being threatening. I love dogs. Aside from my time in the Army I have lived with a dog or multiple dogs my entire life. But I know that if someone attacked me (even if I deserved it) my dog would threaten that person. I would be devastated if my dog was shot, but in this case that man's complete disobedience to the orders of the officers led to the death of the dog. He can sit there and blame the officers all he wants to, but it's his own damn fault. The dog was just protecting his friend, but that doesn't mean the dog was not taking a threatening posture.

Deleted
    great policemen you got over there, 'murrica.

i know why i hate this country.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-13 at 05:08 PM.

And plenty of dogs go for it. Whenever there's such a gamble - shoot the dog.
    If a dog was going to charge, it would have done it from the get-go. Any dog just standing around barking and/or growling isn't going to charge. In addition, only the very rare occasion the dog did enter the fray, his partner is there to help him. No reason to just "preventatively" gun down a dog. It's absolutely disgusting.

Watched the video and saw the guy get thrown on the floor, then the dog sat there next to it's owner as the other cop shoots it. Unjustified and a consequence once again of giving idiots guns and poor training/ability to operate good judgement under pressure.

The guy should have listened, that warrants his arrest, the dogs actions did not warrant it's shooting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Very good answer, as it effectively ends the conflict (the dog won't be intimidated by a wounded person).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    the response in this thread is stunning...
    the dog stood there for like 2 seconds, doing nothing but MAYBE looking dangerous??

and this is why he did a good job?...oh so edgy.