Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmry View Post
    I've been raiding with a guild pretty much since MOP launched. Everything has gone pretty smoothly, they've treated me well and I pull my weight. However I recently started a new job that interferes with my raiding schedule some evenings and was unable to make the past two raid nights. I was over my boyfriend's doing LFR at the time, and was told by my GM the guild was going to be raiding tonight, even though we do not normally raid on Tuesday. However, he said the raid had already filled and asked me which boss I needed, and that he would get me in. I continued to do LFR until the guild downed a boss close to the one I needed.

My boyfriend sighed at me because I left LFR which we didn't finish up to go to my other raid. When I got home I signed on and whispered my GM that I'm ready for whenever they need me. No reply. 40 minutes later 2 players I never saw the names of before got the achievement for the one boss I was suppose to be in for. The item I needed dropped and was given to the new recruit, who is the same spec and class as me. I feel like they grabbed him to gear up and get ready to replace me. They never got back to me at all through whispers, and continues to clear the next raid.

I can't help but feel I'm no longer needed. Should I try to ask why they ignored me? Or is it time to pack my bags and look for a different guild?
    Couple of questions:
    Did your GM say they would get you in or that they would try to get you in?
    Is your GM the raid leader?

As a raid leader I would never tell someone I will get them in, I will often say I will try but there are a huge number of reasons not to let someone in. For example if at the appropriate time for them to come in they aren't on vent with their character sat outside the instance i'm not going to break the flow of the instance waiting for them to get their ass over. Also if a replacement shows great skill, focus and attentiveness they may get rewarded by being kept in for the boss they really need. Its also possible that most of the loot you want would be better off going to someone else and it was just bad luck that the one piece you wanted and would be considered for actually dropped, your replacement might have wanted 3 pieces of loot 2 of which would get disenchanted.

As for your GM not replying to a whisper, its very easy especially if they appear during a boss fight to miss whispers. If you said "I'm ready for whenever you need me" that implies that you are happy to sit out if they don't need you, and they obviously didn't need you.

In all honesty if you are questioning leaving the guild due to not getting a reply from one whisper and not being taken in for one boss then as a raid leader I'd start looking for a replacement for you. Raiding teams work because they are a team not because one person feels entitled to a spot. If your schedule is going to make you unreliable then they are going to want to gear up someone on the bench if they are likely to stand in for you. If you feel you are no longer needed then you are hopefully correct, in a good raid team no one person is needed. If you are going to get upset about being sat for a 1 farm boss then you are going to have problems and its probably better that you leave now.

To OP: Real life is more important than WoW. If you can't make the raid nights due to your odd shifts, then they'll just find someone who doesn't have a job and can make all the raid nights.

With heroic progression guilds, it's usually 100% or you're out.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    To OP: Real life is more important than WoW. If you can't make the raid nights due to your odd shifts, then they'll just find someone who doesn't have a job and can make all the raid nights.

With heroic progression guilds, it's usually 100% or you're out.
    Don't be a douche. I know plenty of people that work and manage to raid just fine. A raiding guild wants someone reliable, just like an employer does.

I was working 3rd shift this past summer and had to leave for work in the middle of my old guild's raid slot. My inability to be present for a full raid most nights made me decide to voluntarily bench myself and I only came in as needed when someone else was late or unable to raid. I didn't get pissed when I'd be called in to help with Ultraxion, knowing that they just finished bosses I could still use tier from.

So to OP: You need to find a guild that better matches your schedule. It is not fair to your current guild or yourself with the current situation. In order to bring you in for a fight, someone has to sit and it's likely that all the other people there are wanting a shot at loot and are able to participate every night so it is kind of crappy for the Raid Leader to ask someone to leave so that you can come in despite not being able to raid other nights. Your guild needs a stable roster and you need a guild that has a different schedule that you can meet more easily.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

I see a lot of people saying they wouldn't blame the GM.

I would, not for replacing, but being douchey enough to not tell the person. If you are gonna replace someone man the eff up and tell them. I would drop that guild like a bad habit and I would be sure to tell him why I was leaving in guild chat so other guildies can see why the GM needs to man up. Nothing like letting people get away with bad behavior to reinforce bad behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    Welcome to the world of "if you have a life/job/child, we don't want you in our guild".

Find a guild that isn't full of assholes because trust me, it only gets more stupid from here.
    You must have tried to get into some crappy guilds. My guild pretty much EVERYONE fits the bill of "life/job/child." We only raid 2 days a week but we are a endgame progression oriented raiding guild.

You best bet is to talk your raid leader and see if he missed the tells. I had a similar situation where I was literally sat for half the raids within a 3 week span, so only going to every other raid and only the nights where we were banging our heads on heroics so I had not seen any fight more than once and was severely behind on gear. I talked to our raid officer with my concerns and he looked up and confirmed that me and about 3-4 other raids had been being sat way more often than normal. For some reason, I was just getting the crap end of the stick being picked to sit out. It had nothing to do with my performance or anything else (we were having performance reviews for each raider all over again to be fair this expansion). As soon as I mentioned it, they fixed the situation.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    Ever since I joined wow I made a personal decision to never be part of a guild with leadership like this, and to this day have stuck to it. I now run my own guild playing by this philosophy.
    About half of the raiding guilds ive been in have the rank of GM assigned to a level 1 alt.

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple things after re-reading the OP's initial post...

It seems many other people who responded didn't read it closely enough as it's clearly stated that the OP was already on and in LFR before they were informed that the guild was raiding on a night there was no raid scheduled because they do not usually raid. The GM asked what boss and said they'd get the OP in for the boss they needed.

If the OP only logged off for 5 minutes to drive home and were waiting 40 minutes after they whispered the raid leader before the guild killed the boss OP needed, I kind of doubt that the GM was looking/waiting for the OP to go to the boss during that 5 minutes.

To the OP: If you simply whispered the GM saying you were ready for whenever they need you, sure they could have just not seen it but it's equally as likely that they saw it and didn't respond because a simple statement like that didn't warrant a response. If he did indeed see your whisper and chose to keep the other player in instead of you after promising to get you in (seriously, if he promised he should have at least checked to see if you were online), and they weren't working on downing that boss for 40 minutes, then you'd have something to worry about.

As I said before, in the very least you should talk to them and find out what is going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmry View Post
    I've been raiding with a guild pretty much since MOP launched. Everything has gone pretty smoothly, they've treated me well and I pull my weight. However I recently started a new job that interferes with my raiding schedule some evenings and was unable to make the past two raid nights. I was over my boyfriend's doing LFR at the time, and was told by my GM the guild was going to be raiding tonight, even though we do not normally raid on Tuesday. However, he said the raid had already filled and asked me which boss I needed, and that he would get me in. I continued to do LFR until the guild downed a boss close to the one I needed.

My boyfriend sighed at me because I left LFR which we didn't finish up to go to my other raid. When I got home I signed on and whispered my GM that I'm ready for whenever they need me. No reply. 40 minutes later 2 players I never saw the names of before got the achievement for the one boss I was suppose to be in for. The item I needed dropped and was given to the new recruit, who is the same spec and class as me. I feel like they grabbed him to gear up and get ready to replace me. They never got back to me at all through whispers, and continues to clear the next raid.

I can't help but feel I'm no longer needed. Should I try to ask why they ignored me? Or is it time to pack my bags and look for a different guild?
    you were probably ignored because they were in the middle of a raid did you not think of that? hell theres even addons that block whispers getting through when raid is in progress so you dont get interruptions etc, sounds to me like you take this way to personally.

Did you try whispering any other raid members? Or hop on vent? Or send a couple of whispers to your GM? Sometimes, whispers can be missed when in a raid. If your GM was not watching his whispers channel, he may have just missed your request.

Or, your GM may not have a backbone, and felt too guilty kicking out the new folks for a specific oss just because you wanted loot from it. Of course, if that was the case, he should never have offered the suggestion to you.

Either way - not enough info to really go on. Just talk to your GM about it, and go from there. Forum speculation with lack of details is not really a good thing to go on.

I didn't know so many people were okay with not telling anyone anything when they get replaced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    I didn't know so many people were okay with not telling anyone anything when they get replaced.
    I dont know how you can only hear one side of a story and accept it as the honest truth. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tearrs View Post
    Honestly, from a GM perspective you need the same core raiders each week. Part-time raiders don't work for anything other than a bench for fill ins for a serious progression oriented guild. It sucks that he either forgot or chose not to bring you in, but honestly, I'd be moving to replace you as well.
    This. You've been raiding with them since MOP launched, so, uh, two months? So you missed a couple of raids, and were doing something else when they raided this time. The GM specifically called on you to come in, but it sounds like you didn't get there in time, and then he was too busy running a raid to respond to you. Now you're mad that you didn't get loot.

Raiding guilds are for raiding. They don't revolve around you; you revolve around them. There are plenty of players out there as good as you, probably many even better. So if you aren't there, or you are doing something else, it's okay for them to bring someone else.

Your raiding guild owes you nothing if you don't show up and perform. If you do, then they owe you the chance at a raid slot until you quit or they find someone better. Welcome to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    I dont know how you can only hear one side of a story and accept it as the honest truth. :P
    It's the only information we have. You can't just assume there's a side that is better than hers because you think there should be. Replacing someone without confronting them or anything goes without excuse. They could have sent her a mail, had someone else whisper her, or anything. But they didn't do any of that. They trolled her and replaced her.

Deleted
    It's the only information we have. You can't just assume there's a side that is better than hers because you think there should be. Replacing someone without confronting them or anything goes without excuse. They could have sent her a mail, had someone else whisper her, or anything. But they didn't do any of that. They trolled her and replaced her.
    What I mean is you hear a `story` on the internet and assume its true, I dont talk bad about anyone without hearing thier side so im not going to blame her gm for anything based on her story alone lol

anyway shes shown a lack of respect for her guild by posting on the mmo forum, this is guild drama it should be kept in guild, Id be pretty pissed off as her guild mates if I found out shed been dragging our affairs out in public in such a way.

Deleted
    It was 90% sure not trolling. If my raid leader told me to be ready for a boss and I just stayed inside LFR to finish it followed by going offline for x amounts of minutes I wouldnt expect him to get me in.

The op said she needed to get home but did she ever tell that to her raid leader and did she tell her raid leader she was going to finish up LFR because they were far away from the boss she needed? If she didnt then she might aswell have said fuck you to the raid leader.

Another thing to take into account is that she might have been online for 40 minutes before they killed the boss she needed but what if that guild had been wiping on that boss for 41+.
    Last edited by mmocaa84e3d5fa; 2012-11-21 at 06:54 PM.

What I mean is you hear a `story` on the internet and assume its true, I dont talk bad about anyone without hearing thier side so im not going to blame her gm for anything based on her story alone lol

anyway shes shown a lack of respect for her guild by posting on the mmo forum, this is guild drama it should be kept in guild, Id be pretty pissed off as her guild mates if I found out shed been dragging our affairs out in public in such a way.
    She's not dragging guild affairs onto mmo champ, she's dragging her own issues and asking advice, which has always been okay. The guild is ignoring her, so she can't really bring it up to anyone else. I agree you can't believe infallibly in one side of a story, but assuming hers is wrong compared to one that you don't even know just sounds like bias.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    It was 90% sure not trolling. If my raid leader told me to be ready for a boss and I just stayed inside LFR to finish it followed by going offline for x amounts of minutes I wouldnt expect him to get me in.

The op said she needed to get home but did she ever tell that to her raid leader and did she tell her raid leader she was going to finish up LFR because they were far away from the boss she needed? If she didnt then she might aswell have said fuck you to the raid leader.

Another thing to take into account is that she might have been online for 40 minutes before they killed the boss she needed but what if that guild had been wiping on that boss for 41+.
    Did you read her post? It wasn't a planned raid, the raid leader didn't tell her to be ready or anything like that. The raid leader asked what boss she needed and proceeded to replace her with someone of the same class and spec when she was online.

She dropped lfr to join the raid group but didn't get an invite. Read the post.

Deleted
    She's not dragging guild affairs onto mmo champ, she's dragging her own issues and asking advice, which has always been okay. The guild is ignoring her, so she can't really bring it up to anyone else. I agree you can't believe infallibly in one side of a story, but assuming hers is wrong compared to one that you don't even know just sounds like bias.
    its biased to want to hear both sides of an argument before judging? not that im aware lol, im not taking anyones side im just stating without the opposite side of the argument who knows whats gone on, so these posts slagging off the guild leader etc are completly moronic

Why don't you just ask these questions to your guild leader? It is better to just be direct with these things so everyone knows where they stand. The responsibility falls on both you and your guild's shoulders and it seems like both of you are failing.

Communication, communication, communication.

Deleted
    Did you read her post? It wasn't a planned raid, the raid leader didn't tell her to be ready or anything like that. The raid leader asked what boss she needed and proceeded to replace her with someone of the same class and spec when she was online.

She dropped lfr to join the raid group but didn't get an invite. Read the post.
    It wasnt a planned raid no but she still got a warning that it was going to happen (this is what we call being told to be ready). She was most likely replaced because she 1. did not move her ass out of LFR asap and 2. because she went offline. No one said she got replaced while being online, just that the kill was 40 mins after (they could have been wiping).

She did not drop lfr imediatly. Read the post.

its biased to want to hear both sides of an argument before judging? not that im aware lol, im not taking anyones side im just stating without the opposite side of the argument who knows whats gone on, so these posts slagging off the guild leader etc are completly moronic
    We don't know everything, you're right, but guild leaders aren't flawless individuals, they do tend to treat raiders like game pieces the better they get, so to assume this entire story was a lie is just seeing through a lens. The guild replaced her without telling her anything. That is something we know for a fact. What could justify not telling someone they're getting replaced before, after, or even a day after the raid?

I'm in a progression guild and I've often changed my role to suit the raid group as a whole, so I wouldn't be against being seated in favor of progression, but if the guild doesn't even respect their members enough to tell them they're getting replaced, why should she stay in that kind of atmosphere?