Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencho View Post
    First problem, math. Assuming $8/hr and 32hr/week (a bit high here) 600x$13,000 = $7.9 million. As that's not financially possible, I have to call bull.

Second problem, organization. Assistant and store managers at Walmart are given annual bonuses only, they don't get quarterly ones.

So either your store's gossip is way out of line or this is being made up whole cloth.
    Read my second post.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2167213.html

So... apparently WalMart has a large majority of employees full-time. Didn't know that.

Apparently WalMart is one of the better places to work in retail. Didn't know that.

This is ludicrous and, at least in my area, is DEFINITELY not the case, here's a quote:

He also said that employees can get health insurance for roughly $17/week. Anyone know if that's true?

Quarterly bonuses? 82% of eligible employees got the bonus, according to him.

I especially loved this one:
    I worked as a truck unloader for them for 6 years, until I got myself fired for a facebook posting I made when I was intoxicated. I started out at minimum wage, and was at 10:30$ hr when I got fired. I can assure you the insurance isn't that cheap, not even close! I am a smoker so with all the new crap against smokers they added, my insurance the cheapest I could manage to get might I add was 57$ every 2 weeks" And most of the full-time people are long time employee's, or you have to get someone else's job that is leaving or stepping down that has a full time position. They don't just say "oh your a good employee here is a full time position bump for you!. And we did get bonuses every now and then, it was kind of out of the blue cause there really isn't anything you can do to lock it in...but it was based on how many hours you worked per year, and you had to be there for at least 1 year if I remember right. I got anywhere between 150-300$, and everyone I associated with hated the place. No matter how hard you tried it was never good enough, and people there had a tendancy to like to spy to try and find dirt to get you in trouble. Ive caught several managers peaking through the the steel racks or around the corner trying to get dirt lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Read my second post.
    Yes, and you're still claiming an astronomical figure awarded quarterly for a position ineligible for quarterly bonuses. And one at odds with the other tight-wad nature of Walmart's payment system.

I call bull shit on $12.40 an hour average. They are probably counting executives in that mean.

God, whenever I hear horror stories about walmart and target and such, it makes me glad I work at home depot. I may not be full time, I may not make a bunch of money or anything, but they actually treat us decently well. As part time I have the option of health insurance, dental insurance, and optical stuffs (not GREAT coverage, but better than nothing). Home Depot has actually been doing the 30 hours over x amount of time for full time benefits thing before the health care initiative ever did, so I won't even be affected by that at all.

Anyway, OT, the $12.40 average is probably including higher up people that make a ton of money to boost the average. I don't believe for a minute (without seeing the actual numbers) that average employees (not managers and such) make that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its best to think of Wal-Mart like a politician. "Exaggerate and fabricate" is pretty much built in to their DNA, so to speak. I've known a number of managers on the tech side of employment that were almost like clones of Dilbert's pointy haired boss. Compare them to the management at Wal-Mart and they look like Mother Theresa. After experiencing Wal-Mart for a year at close range I now hear "Old Ben" every time I see one. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

. I saw a guy clock in, work for 30 mins, clock out and quit. I mean granted, it was the middle of the summer and he was unloading the trucks (Think of 102 degrees outside, no A/C, now put yourself in a metal trailer with broken open dog food, laundry detergent, and assorted automotive fluids, mix, and subtract heavily from your life span) All for $7 and change an hour.
    Wow. Really? This is what kids complain about these days?

I've had jobs like that. But I did them anyways, and learned how to overcome the challenges they presented, and moved on and moved up in life.

I didn't run away after 30 minutes and go cry about it on the internet.

EDIT: Also, to the people talking about retail managers making millions of dollars, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Retail managers make chump change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencho View Post
    Yes, and you're still claiming an astronomical figure awarded quarterly for a position ineligible for quarterly bonuses. And one at odds with the other tight-wad nature of Walmart's payment system.
    Since you're so insistent on arguing semantics, at no point did I say that it was a quarterly bonus, just that he received it last quarter.
    In all honesty, the man is a slimeball. His wife has FF implants, his daughter drives an Aston Martin, and he's always got a huge grin on his face that shows he's thinking "I'm superior to all these plebians. Maybe its time to fire everyone and hire small asian children at 1/16 the cost?"

I might be a bit bitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Since you're so insistent on arguing semantics, at no point did I say that it was a quarterly bonus, just that he received it last quarter.
    In all honesty, the man is a slimeball. His wife has FF implants, his daughter drives an Aston Martin, and he's always got a huge grin on his face that shows he's thinking "I'm superior to all these plebians. Maybe its time to fire everyone and hire small asian children at 1/16 the cost?"

I might be a bit bitter.
    And how do you know all of this? It sounds like you're just making shit up now.

Food for thought: Stores wouldn't be open on holidays if people didn't shop on those days. Everyone hates working those days but it makes you wonder who's driving the demand for them to be open those days?

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 04:45 PM ----------

I might be a bit bitter.
    1. Assign fabricated qualities and thoughts to a person.

2. Criticize assigned qualities and thoughts.

3. Victimhood achieved!

Do you write a social justice blog that I could have a link to?

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...%2c_Inc/Salary

Here you go. Actual numbers produced by actual research.

A Walmart store manager makes roughly 60K a year. They are just chumps like anybody else working in the actual store. It's the execs that nobody ever sees that make all the money.

In all honesty, as far as pay is concerned, Walmart probably is the best retail job out there. I've been all over retail and I never came close to what I made at Walmart ($13/hour after 2 years)

That said I was an overnight employee. Every overnight position was full time, at the store I worked in at least. I started at $9.50 and got good raises. That said I'm someone who works as good as I can regardless of the job/pay so I quickly got burned out doing the work of three people by myself (I was the only guy for handling receiving nights).

The insurance I don't remember, I just got the $60 a month (if I remember right) which gave fair coverage of basic preventative care. I had pnumonia and a bad absess that I had to go to the doctor for and I didn't get bankrupt so the insurance was good enough.

There are lot of problems with walmart, but pay isn't one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Sad that people think if you have a job that doesn't allow you to have a pimped out house and car and basically buy whatever your heart desires that you're some kind of victim of corporate greed.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:24 PM ----------

Companies do not exist to make sure their employees are happy, pay for employees' sons' braces, or health care.

Also, a huge lol @ you coming up with braces as the first example of healthcare companies should pay for
    oh for crying out loud. stop your white knight attitude in favor of Walmart right there...
    Walmart... We are talking about the richest family on earth.
    List of Walton's family fortune as of 2012 published by Forbes.

Christy Walton and family US$25.3 billion
    Jim Walton US$23.7 billion
    Alice Walton US$23.3 billion
    S. Robson Walton US$23.1 billion
    Ann Walton Kroenke US$3.9 billion
    Nancy Walton Laurie US$3.4 billion

Total: US$102.7 billion

That's their "Family income"..

And...... your entire post is invalid...
    Companies have long realized that making your employees happy is the best way to maximize productivity.
    Thankfully there are other companies who prove it..... i.E. Google..
    Check how they treat their employees.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-11-21 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

A Walmart store manager makes roughly 60K a year. They are just chumps like anybody else working in the actual store. It's the execs that nobody ever sees that make all the money.
    I work with a guy who used to be an assistant store manager for Wal-Mart. Says he used to make reasonably good money doing that, but the actual store managers made $100k/year with extremely large bonuses.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Sad that people think if you have a job that doesn't allow you to have a pimped out house and car and basically buy whatever your heart desires that you're some kind of victim of corporate greed.
    But people should expect to actually be able to GET a house and car with their job... Walmart isn't the worst but it's still not good. The executives make a gross amount of money while the people actually doing the work struggle with bills. That is corporate greed, these people will get laid off just so these guys can take home more money each year.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I work with a guy who used to be an assistant store manager for Wal-Mart. Says he used to make reasonably good money doing that, but the actual store managers made $100k/year with extremely large bonuses.
    My store did very well (far above every other store in the district), it was rumored the store manager got bonuses exceeding $50k.

The conditions are horrible at walmart. They work you like a dog and if you were to complain about it, to management, they fire you. Everyone hates working there. That $12 figure he quoted also takes into account the higher price min wage where it at it's peak is $9.04/h, in Washington. Their health insurance plan is nothing more than a pure ripoff as "one of their competitors" offers a full suite of coverage(70/30 +500deduct) after a year for $7 per week. And this is just covering their floor jobs.

Warehouse workers are subject to a lot more. Let's not get into that, though.

Bet you walked to school uphill both ways and in the snow too huh?

I was an unloader at Wal Mart as well in the summer time. Only it was 105-107 that summer for about three months straight. That's OUTSIDE of the truck. The trucks are metal. Metal gets hot from the sun. It is basically a giant oven inside the truck. It was EASILY 115 degrees inside the trucks. We aren't talking just 30 minutes here either. When you have over 4,000 pieces of freight, you are in a truck by yourself for a MINIMUM of two hours PER TRUCK. 4,000 pieces of freight means more than one truck. They didn't even give us water. The unloaders are treated a lot different than the rest of the employees. You don't get any resemblance of a break until those trucks are done, whether it takes 30 minutes or five hours. If you are behind, then your lunch break gets cut in half to make up for lost time. If you are short a few guys, they don't send any kind of help your way and still expect the job to get done on time, even though the management couldn't even BEGIN to keep up with the guys back there without having a stroke.

You can call it whiny new generation bullshit all you want. Working anywhere from 9 to 13 hour shifts in these conditions for 7.65 an hour is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when the cashiers up front make more than us, and the overnight stockers make close to 2 dollars more an hour, whom we were expected to help do THEIR job if they were lagging behind. I did this for six months before I found something better, and I can say without a doubt that the ONLY way I would EVER go back there is if I were literally STARVING and HOMELESS. It's not the work that is a problem. It's the complete lack of respect and human decency that is experienced by the upper management that makes the job unbearable. I would also be willing to bet at about 80% of the members of this forum wouldn't have been able to do the work either. Although, I would pay good money to see some of them try. Pull 500+ pounds behind your back for 2000 feet about twenty times after unloading trucks for six hours straight. Go ahead! I wanna see some heart attacks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theKarn View Post
    The conditions are horrible at walmart. They work you like a dog and if you were to complain about it, to management, they fire you. Everyone hates working there. That $12 figure he quoted also takes into account the higher price min wage where it at it's peak is $9.04/h, in Washington. Their health insurance plan is nothing more than a pure ripoff as "one of their competitors" offers a full suite of coverage(70/30 +500deduct) after a year for $7 per week. And this is just covering their floor jobs.

Warehouse workers are subject to a lot more. Let's not get into that, though.
    Whom you talking about? don't be shy giving names.
    We here have no reason to hide anything or protect names..

you know Google picks up MMO pages Information spreads, and the farther it does, the better in that/such case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

One could say that they are even bigger chumps since just about everyone under them can do their jobs just as well as they can. Seriously, the reason most the managers I knew were so scheming and conniving was because that's how they managed to get that far up in the first place. Most everything comes down from above, even what goes on what shelves, so its not like there is any sort of serious educational requirement involved. I do have a couple of cute memories though from my time in that piss pot.

Like the manager complaining about me missing some time. Me telling him that sorry but my family needed me home at the time. Then his reply that he, "cares more about Walmart than my family." Oh the look on his face when I replied with, "and I don't." Hehe... Or the one saying I couldn't leave because the team wasn't done, even though my condition for moving had been that I got off at midnight. Oh the look on his face when I opened his office door and asked if I needed to sign anything because "it's midnight and I'm leaving."

These were not people who could readily grasp the concept of employees having things like "options" or self-respect.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-21 at 05:08 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

You know i just had this brilliant Idea
    . If you don't like Walmart don't shop there and if you don't like working for Walmart quit. If enough stop shopping there and or quit working there maybe they will get the message, but guess what more people shop at Wal-Mart then any other store in America and Walmart never had a problem finding people who wants to work there so they are doing more that is right then they do that is wrong