Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's gypsies and bears. It's also somewhere close to Europe.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Romania is a country that is popularily portrayed in my country as some undemocratic shithole filled with poor people. I've also heard it's a country that seems like it's untouched by the social revolutions of the 20th century.

I'd like to think differently, but I'm still not sure what Romania can offer me that other EU-states can't.
    Romania is actually democratic, as democratic as any other EU state. Sure, when people don't like how the democracy plays out they start to yell there's no democracy. That's not the reason why Romania is a shithole full of poor people, the main reason it's the incompetent leaders, but I hear that from Irish people saying about their leaders for example, and Ireland is nowhere near "shithole full of poor people"

And there is something that Romania can offer and other EU states can't: a place where EU money has much more value. Minimum wage is under 200 euros per month, so yeah... If I were an old dude struggling with my last years in London, I would certainly move to Romania and live like a king with that pension

I prefer Green Leaf for sandwiches, but I do enjoy Caesar Salads too.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

They grow some bitchin' lettuce.
    Oh aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Bucharest, Vlad Tepes, vampires, Dacia, gypsies, beggars, Ceausescu, Gheorghe Hagi.
    I thought vlad was hungarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    at the time it was Hungary, but now it's in Romania.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Big tech region there somewhere? Maybe not a Silicon Valley but something like it?
    Well I heard Nokia phones were known from their durability and quality until they moved production to Romania, then they become equivalent of "made in China" clothes. And I heard in the end they sold the brand completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has dragons.
    It is one of the newest members of NATO and the EU, and a former member of the Warsaw Pact.
    It uses standard gauge railroads.
    It has a large portion of the Carpathian Mountains, and it has large swaths of forests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Vlad was actually the ruler of Wallachia, which is now southern Romania. He was born in Transylvania in the Saxon town of Sighisoara (very well preserved and a great tourist location). You probably think that he was hungarian because back then Transylvania was part of Hungary but the majority of the population were romanians.

He was 100% romanian and is a national hero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Romania is actually democratic, as democratic as any other EU state. Sure, when people don't like how the democracy plays out they start to yell there's no democracy. That's not the reason why Romania is a shithole full of poor people, the main reason it's the incompetent leaders, but I hear that from Irish people saying about their leaders for example, and Ireland is nowhere near "shithole full of poor people"

And there is something that Romania can offer and other EU states can't: a place where EU money has much more value. Minimum wage is under 200 euros per month, so yeah... If I were an old dude struggling with my last years in London, I would certainly move to Romania and live like a king with that pension
    I know I'm gonna be a bitch now but isn't stuff the cheapest in Bulgaria?

gypsies, gypsies everywhere.
    Oh, and corruption.

That Vlad Dracula was actually a vampire hunter, and there is a group of gypsies known as the Draculesti that carry on the vampire hunting tradition.

That the Soviet Union conducted experiments on vampires there, in an attempt to create super soldiers. They were also experimenting with inter-dimensional travel, and were training a group of specialized cosmonauts there for such a purpose.

Also contains giant mutant fungi, and troll like creatures that can apparently consume Filth without mutating.

May also house a few research sites for a certain international corporation, one being a breach in time and space leading to the prison of some ancient, eldritch being and the other being a place where horrific, supernatural experiments were done on children, the fruit of which was the creation of a child of pure life force energy.

Or at least that's what playing The Secret World has taught me. Any of this even remotely true?
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

It's all true.

Deleted
    I know they had the chance to become a big player in eastern Europe and corruption prevented that from happening.
    I lost 50k in Romania.

Apart from that the usual stuff. I know about different regions a bit more as I worked with a good few Romanians at some stage. Bistrita (is it spelled this way?) And the mountains, arad and the universities...
    Beautiful country. Very bad image due to idiots...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I know they had the chance to become a big player in eastern Europe and corruption prevented that from happening.
    I lost 50k in Romania.

Apart from that the usual stuff. I know about different regions a bit more as I worked with a good few Romanians at some stage. Bistrita (is it spelled this way?) And the mountains, arad and the universities...
    Beautiful country. Very bad image due to idiots...
    Pretty much.Despite this life has been slowly getting better here since the Soviet Union fell, peaking in 2008, before the recession.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I know they had the chance to become a big player in eastern Europe
    How? When?

Interested in reading more about a Romanian great power lol.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Named after Rome? Was on the border of the empire?

Big tech region there somewhere? Maybe not a Silicon Valley but something like it?
    Insane connections at VERY low price turned Romania in Europe's cheapest server farm. As a result the number of programmers skyrocketed last decade

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    How? When?

Interested in reading more about a Romanian great power lol.
    They had the chance to become something like Poland. Cheap country in europe ready to host industries of all kind.
    There's nothing to "lol" about. It's actually pretty sad.

15+ Year Old Account
    The flag of Romania is the same to a Buddhism organisation in Japan.

Deleted
    It's the homeland of our lord Kripparrian