Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    The past few years have been marred with a lot of really shocking news reports regarding gun related deaths in the United States. Because of those stories, I do wholeheartedly believe that gun owners in America have gotten a pretty bad rap across the board. From what I've gleamed via forums, facebook, youtube, and anywhere else people can freely comment, the majority of disgust and negative stereotypes seem to come from Canada, the UK, and or other parts of Europe.

As a gun owner I've gotten really depressed by this. While I understand that some peoples opinions will never change, I do feel that there is a responsibility to be had of gun owners to actively reach out, discuss, educate, and listen to non gun owners.

There are a great deal of gun owners in this country who recognize that it is THEIR responsibility to protect their home, family, and self. It is not the responsibility of the police, and as the popular saying goes "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

In the United States, the belief is that Firearms are an equalizer and a right held in the ability for protection. It's really difficult even when you want to be realistic, to think of balanced ways to "fix" the system because it isn't a light switch and it isn't easy.

Now, I could waste more time but I'd like to do this. I'm fairly level headed and I do choose things out of principle rather than personal belief, so if you're someone who has an opinion you'd like to express to me or a question, I invite you to do so. I would, for once, like to see someone be proactive in this subject, even if it flops.

Thanks.

It's sort of a catch 22 to be honest. If other people have guns around their house, I sure as shit would want to have a gun aswell. In most of Europe (Sweden where I live for example), guns are only used by criminals, and being caught by the cops with a firearm is some serious shit.

So, if having a gun is the norm, then I'd get a gun. I would prefer it if guns weren't allowed at all, because people shoot people.

What I REALLY want is that nobody but me had a gun. I fucking love guns, they are fun, but at the same time people die around them.

Deleted
    I don't get the claim, that

robbery = murder

Not every person that wants your wallet is a bloodthirsty killer. Not every car thief is a trained terrorist with russian firearms.

Maybe they'll take your television. Now what? Were you raped and tortured by them? Did they liquidate your family and friends? Probably not. Does it give you the right to KILL them? Criminal persons are also human beings, most of the time with sad and cruel background stories. I believe that most of these criminals don't do their robberies "for fun", but to get some sort of income.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post

robbery = murder

Not every person that wants your wallet is a bloodthirsty killer. Not every car thief is a trained terrorist with russian firearms.

Maybe they'll take your television. Now what? Were you raped and tortured by them? Did they liquidate your family and friends? Probably not. Does it give you the right to KILL them? Criminal persons are also human beings, most of the time with sad and cruel background stories. I believe that most of these criminals don't do their robberies "for fun", but to get some sort of income.
    The problem is that in the US, thanks to the escalation of violence (a "civilian weapon race" of sorts), most criminals are going to be heavily weaponized and very proficient users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post

robbery = murder

Maybe they'll take your television. Now what?
    Now they're going to go steal your neighbor's television. And they'll be back next week for the house across the street.
    Criminals like these have made a choice to leave the order of society, and are actively working towards breaking down the progress of civilization. If we let them act uninhibited, then they are our new masters. We fight back so that they will know that order and justice will prevail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Now they're going to go steal your neighbor's television. And they'll be back next week for the house across the street.
    Criminals like these have made a choice to leave the order of society, and are actively working towards breaking down the progress of civilization. If we let them act uninhibited, then they are our new masters. We fight back so that they will know that order and justice will prevail.
    Law enforcement is the best way to fight back, not taking justice on your own hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I didn't know Indiana was like that. I forget to lock my front door half the time, and I live in a rather large city.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    The problem is that in the US, thanks to the escalation of violence (a "civilian weapon race" of sorts), most criminals are going to be heavily weaponized and very proficient users.
    lol, what? No. Your average thug or gang banger is not "very proficient."
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I don't own a gun.

I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

I have never needed to use a gun, never been broken into etc.

I do not know anyone who has needed to use a gun, or ever been broken into etc.

I REALLY don't understand how anyone can say they "need" a gun. You must live in a really bad place of the world and should take your whole family elsewhere.

Also what's this about needing a gun if your house is broken in to? Don't you people have insurance? Let them take your stuff and just get it all brand new on an insurance claim ffs. Chance of living greatly increases if you do NOT pull a gun on the guy robbing you!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddolf View Post
    Chance of living greatly increases if you do NOT pull a gun on the guy robbing you!!!!!!
    [Citation Needed]

Insurance also costs money, isn't free, and many things cannot be replaced.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    [Citation Needed]

Insurance also costs money, isn't free, and many things cannot be replaced.
    Guns and ammo are free? *most* things that someone might steal (phone, tv, laptop etc) are easily replaced...I don't think your family photos rank high on a burglar's list

I've also never heard of a case where someone was innocently shot in their home who was unarmed and posed no threat to the attacked...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddolf View Post
    Guns and ammo are free?
    Considerably cheaper than renter's or homeowner's insurance.

I've also never heard of a case where someone was innocently shot in their home who was unarmed and posed no threat to the attacked...
    You probably don't read any US news than what's posted here, then. It's a pretty common occurrence in low-income areas of major cities, particularly where gang activity is common.

then I go with my original post and say you should just pack up and leave

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying you don't understand gun safety or how guns actually work. You aren't American, so that's not really unexpected... other countries don't have gun culture like we do, except for maybe Sweden I think it is

When you're using a gun in self-defense or in the defense of another, you shoot and keep shooting until the target isn't a threat anymore. That doesn't mean you're intentionally trying to kill them, but if they die while you're defending yourself, so be it.
    You're right. I'm not from America. And maybe I don't understand your laws. But guess what? I'm from Croatia where guns are absolutely prohibited. And guess what again, we don't have nearly as many shit per capita as you americans do. I mean, shit happens here, too. But not with guns. And I'm quite thankful for that. Because, when I go out, and get in trouble, I know I won't get a bullet in my chest. So God bless Croatia, not America, I guess.

Registered gun owners don't generally commit crimes with their guns, they do however generally fail to properly secure those guns which leads to them ending up in the hands of children/criminals

In any case I am all for the banning of handguns simply because their far more dangerous than any other gun due to how easy they are to conceal.
    Then again seeing as why the 2nd amendment was created I think it was out of utter retardation that we allowed a ban on assault rifles.

Being from Alaska myself our gun laws are pretty lax compared to some states. Example would be as an adult over 21 I can carry a firearm concealed in a lot of places. I do carry concealed from time to time and I own quite a few guns. As of today I own a .45 pistol, .22 pistol, .45 pistol, 20 gauge and 410 shotgun, .338 rifle and a .308 assault rifle. The kicker is I have never pointed a gun at a person for any reason. I was raised thankfully by a father who taught me right and wrong and I am capable of understanding the difference.

Do I think I should be able to own most types of guns... yes... I see no reason why a normal citizen needs a fully automatic weapon as it is generally a waste of ammo personally but if your into that as a hobby then more power too you. Though it is a TON of paperwork you need to fill out and get approval from the Chief of Police where I live.

Do I think some people should not own guns? Yes, I 100% believe people who do not shoot their gun at least ONCE a year, have not had a safety course, have shown bad judgement, don't have the mental capacity to understand that an action with a gun can not only kill another person but have consequences far exceeding the ending of just one life.

Things I wish the United States would put in effect for gun ownership is:
    Mandatory class where you receive a license from an instructor that certifies you know how to handle a firearm.
    Yearly renewal of the license where your record is checked to make sure you're not a felon etc.

I would love to see some type of virtual trainer where you would be placed in situations to make judgement calls about if you should use a weapon or not. An example in the Navy we have a course called Ship reaction force (advanced) where you are taught how to make entry into spaces, violent individuals, drunk people, etc... Well I had one classmate that when they started to get shot at (plastic pellet with some paint in it, hurts more then paintball lol) this person literally turned their head away and started to shot "blind" with no regard where the "bullet" was going. They got kicked out of the class and currently can not carry a weapon on watch on the ship! People like that should not own a firearm!

You ask how will we pay for all this training... easy... with the renewal of the license fee.

That is my quick rant after reading the first and last page
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You're right. I'm not from America. And maybe I don't understand your laws. But guess what? I'm from Croatia where guns are absolutely prohibited. And guess what again, we don't have nearly as many shit per capita as you americans do. I mean, shit happens here, too. But not with guns. And I'm quite thankful for that. Because, when I go out, and get in trouble, I know I won't get a bullet in my chest. So God bless Croatia, not America, I guess.
    Do you mean violent crimes or gun crimes? Because the way "violent crime," is defined and how it's reported varies from city to city and even district to district, let alone country to country. Gun crime is irrelevant because America - having the most guns - will always lead in that.

And if you get in trouble, you're more likely to get stuck like a pig with a knife than get shot. Knives are nasty, at least guns are clean.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    In any case I am all for the banning of handguns simply because their far more dangerous than any other gun due to how easy they are to conceal.
    Funny story here... I was out on my ATV having a great day in the wilderness and I had to stop for gas... I pulled up at a gas pump, got gas and then went inside to pay and buy a soda...I checked the door of course to make sure there was no posted sign against bringing a firearm on the property..there was no sign so went inside. My .45 pistol sitting in the holster on my hip clear as day. The attendant immediately stopped me as I walked inside and asked me to remove the weapon and put it in my car. I informed him I was on a ATV and had no place to lock it up. His solution was to hand over my firearm while I was inside or not come in... we meet in the middle where I handed over my magazine because I am not handing over my pistol to anybody other then law enforcement for due cause... luckily I always have a round chamber just in case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpeddakota View Post
    Funny story here... I was out on my ATV having a great day in the wilderness and I had to stop for gas... I pulled up at a gas pump, got gas and then went inside to pay and buy a soda...I checked the door of course to make sure there was no posted sign against bringing a firearm on the property..there was no sign so went inside. My .45 pistol sitting in the holster on my hip clear as day. The attendant immediately stopped me as I walked inside and asked me to remove the weapon and put it in my car. I informed him I was on a ATV and had no place to lock it up. His solution was to hand over my firearm while I was inside or not come in... we meet in the middle where I handed over my magazine because I am not handing over my pistol to anybody other then law enforcement for due cause... luckily I always have a round chamber just in case.
    You'd think in open carry areas, people would be more used to seeing them. Do most people not carry openly even though it's allowed?

You'd think in open carry areas, people would be more used to seeing them. Do most people not carry openly even though it's allowed?
    I had never seen anybody inside the store with them but plenty while out and about on the ATV. I was shocked that they had an issue since the pistol was holstered in the open... I generally would think that would tell a person don't worry not here to hold you up compared to a puffy jacket where you see a gun in a belt because you caught a perfect angle /shrug lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpeddakota View Post
    Things I wish the United States would put in effect for gun ownership is:
    Mandatory class where you receive a license from an instructor that certifies you know how to handle a firearm.
    Yearly renewal of the license where your record is checked to make sure you're not a felon etc.
    This a hundred times, and I'm amazed as to why you need to do a course for driving a car but not owning and operating a gun.