Deleted

Microsoft patenting "Content Distribution Regulation by Viewing User"

Here's the full article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-films-at-home

Well, microsoft just patented the ability to monitor and regulate the amount of people watching licensed content by monitoring them through Kinect. Pretty ridiculous but luckily I'm not planning on buying a kinect or its next version either.

This seems...like a very bad idea. Good for the bottom line, of course, but they may run into privacy issues.

Yeah, that isn't getting past the EU regulators.

Deleted
    Pretty crazy that they can patent something like this in the first place.

Deleted
    "Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content ... The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."
    What the absolute fucking hell man?

Is this 1984?

Which idiot comes up with this shit?

This patent isn't specifically tied to Kinect, more to the entire process of licensing content to viewers and monitoring them - even on mobile devices using their built-in camera.
    Great, that's just fan fucking tastic. Soon we won't own anything anymore, everything will be on a license and once the fuckers of a stockholders decide they need a new boat they'll hold the world at ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Pretty crazy that they can patent something like this in the first place.
    There is no issue with them patenting it, but they'll have to freeze Hell over to get it past the privacy folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put a piece of tape over your kinect lens when it's not in use.

Check-mate, Microsoft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Put a piece of tape over your kinect lens when it's not in use.

Check-mate, Microsoft.
    But what if you're watching a movie through your xbox and say, a guest enters the room and it freezes and if you try to block the camera it won't play it at all? :P
    They are looking to integrate kinect into the next gen xbox afterall.

Heh, what a jerk move. Hope this gets killed ASAP.

Deleted
    I wonder how they plan to monitor viewer age aswell. It can't be so simple as to do it on a height basis can it? But the kinects camera aint that good either so what else could they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, Microsoft cares how many people are watching videos on Kinect? I'm not sure what the point of this is, except to fish for ways to sue customers.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    It's so they can get more money out of you obviously. Want to have a group movie night? Then you're gona have to buy enough "tickets" so everyone can watch.

It could, in theory, be used to prevent people from watching videos. But I don't honestly see it being used like that. I don't see how it COULD be used but it's ludicrous to think they could regulate what you watch with the kinect or a similar technology.

If people do not agree with licenser terms, they are free to find other content with suitable license. Simple as that.

This is just about the dumbest thing I've heard of today.

Although, it's only 6:30 AM. The rest of the day still has ample time to sock me with stupid.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Oh just fuck off microsoft. Like you don't make enough money already. Assholes.

No But seriously, I'd be surprised if this went through.
    Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2012-11-29 at 12:02 PM.

Just because they patented it, doesn't mean they will implement it.
    RETH

I was using W8 through bizspark, and planned on buying the 39.99 dollar upgrade anyways since I liked the OS.

What a great way to ensure I never do that.