Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Nearly half of the 6,280 people diagnosed last year were men who had sex with other men.
    I'm not quite sure why this is heavily directed to homosexuals then? This clearly states that there are more straight people with HIV than there are than gay people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    Probably something to do with all the multiple partner bumming.
    Not a great argument, considering it isn't true for the majority of homosexual couples. But you're right that there is a certain culture that contributes to the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    I'm not quite sure why this is heavily directed to homosexuals then? This clearly states that there are more straight people with HIV than there are than gay people.
    Proportions of population. More straight people have HIV, but a much higher percentage of gay people have HIV.

Deleted
    Probably something to do with all the multiple partner bumming.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 03:41 AM ----------

Something along the lines of men being (generally) more promiscuous than women. Google it.

Ultimately it's down to lots of people bumming each other without protection, on the regular.
    Heh, funny that seems to be your opinion (which is your right to have) but i'd of thought gay men wouldnt be as sexually promiscus as hetrosexual couples... I guess as a straight guy i never thought to er... research? upon these things.

But you know, no need. Not when you dismiss people with the usual *Gay men are more promiscuous than women google it* I could say the same about... Lesbian women! There more likely to go about than a straight women, what you dont belive me? WELL GOOGLE IT?!?!

Not the best attiude to be honuest mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, funny that seems to be your opinion (which is your right to have) but i'd of thought gay men wouldnt be as sexually promiscus as hetrosexual couples... I guess as a straight guy i never thought to er... research? upon these things.

But you know, no need. Not when you dismiss people with the usual *Gay men are more promiscuous than women google it* I could say the same about... Lesbian women! There more likely to go about than a straight women, what you dont belive me? WELL GOOGLE IT?!?!

To be fair, there is some basis for his argument (a bunch of sociological studies), but these differences are due to cultural influences rather than the innate quality of being "gay" (which is a social construct anyway so it's a strange loopy argument).

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Something I've always wondered, is why HIV seems to be more prevalent in the gay community. Or the black community for that matter.

Besides the obvious, are they doing something secret or crazy in bed that other couples are not?
    Sraight couples use condoms for more than just prevention of STDs. They also use condoms as a form of birth control. Gays do not have to worry about birth control. The threat of possible kids (everyone was a baby. everyone knows someone with kids) is far more real and obvious than a disease they have never seen the affects of and they personally dont know anyone who has.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-29 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    What evidence do you have that being homosexual automatically equates more partners? That's a very facetious argument.
    Obviously not all gay men are promiscuous, but I would be surprised if the gay demographic wasn't proportionately the most promiscuous one. We have a very sexual culture. It's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, but it makes sense that we'd have higher STD infections as a result.

From my experience, education isn't the problem, it's that STDs aren't really feared in the community (you take some pills and get over it), even HIV, and lack of a condom isn't going to stop some guys from gettin' busy. Or, considering the party culture, some men aren't even in the frame of mind to consider safe sex (drunk, high, etc). There's a lot of variables, but the one constant is a high libido.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-11-29 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by urameshi View Post
    1. Anal sex has a higher risk of passing HIV
    2. I would say that gay men on average have about 5 times as much sex as straight people, and with more partners. (ie: bath house)
    3. Condom use is a lot lower, you can't get another dude pregnant and when you are young its easy to think you are invincible
    Holy shit, I wish I was having 5 times more sex than my straight buddies. As it stands (being a decent looking fellow who has had offers to work at strip joints and such in the past), I have had far less sex, with far fewer partners than all but one of my friends, who had a baby with the first girl he dated and has been in that relationship since. Hell I haven't had sex in about 2 years now mainly because I have no problems holding off my libido for the guy I really want to do it with again who is thousands of miles away. (Previous LTR until he moved )

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I agree with you that it shoudnt be made out to seem like its a gay-only problem. But the representation is skewed heavily (10% pop gay//40%HIV) (90% hetero//60% HIV). So that's what the BBC and a lot of others are pointing out.
    This is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Sraight couples use condoms for more than just prevention of STDs. They also use condoms as a form of birth control. Gays do not have to worry about birth control. The threat of possible kids (everyone was a baby. everyone knows someone with kids) is far more real and obvious than a disease they have never seen the affects of and they personally dont know anyone who has.
    This is also fact. Every new partner I have been with (granted not a lot) I require a recent test, especially since testing for HIV is free at multiple locations. Provided they are clean I have no issues going bare, otherwise they can suffer the rubber. If every female was unable to have children I guarantee HIV numbers would skyrocket and the rates for hetero transitions would easily match homo regardless of "easier to catch through anal" and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    Holy shit, I wish I was having 5 times more sex than my straight buddies. As it stands (being a decent looking fellow who has had offers to work at strip joints and such in the past), I have had far less sex, with far fewer partners than all but one of my friends, who had a baby with the first girl he dated and has been in that relationship since. Hell I haven't had sex in about 2 years now mainly because I have no problems holding off my libido for the guy I really want to do it with again who is thousands of miles away. (Previous LTR until he moved )

That's cool.. now I guess we should hear from the other end of the spectrum?

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    That's cool.. now I guess we should hear from the other end of the spectrum?
    I mean I don't know about the average because I'm fairly conservative living, and live in a small town in the country, and don't go out trying to pick up guys... but I still find it hard to believe that the average gay guy gets 5 times as much booty as the average straight guy.

It's true though.

That's not even my point. The reason there is an explosion of HIV in homosexual males is because of all the bumming.

It's pretty simple, not even being negative about it. Chill.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 04:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I mean I don't know about the average because I'm fairly conservative living, and live in a small town in the country, and don't go out trying to pick up guys... but I still find it hard to believe that the average gay guy gets 5 times as much booty as the average straight guy.
    Try Brighton.

Deleted
    It's true though.

That's not even my point. The reason there is an explosion of HIV in homosexual males is because of all the bumming.

It's pretty simple, not even being negative about it. Chill.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 04:56 AM ----------

Try Brighton.
    Like i said, its your opinion. Im not angry, just dismayed you came in here with a skewed viewpoint agaisnt a sexual minority and instead chose the easy option of... hurr durr they bone each other dere fault yo.

And as for you saying your explanation is simple, maybe its very er... smart for yourself but for the rest of us nope.

P.S Brighton is just about the same as amsterdam minus the legal prositution for gay men, i see no problem. But please, stay out of this thread unless your going to actually debate/ offer constructive posts

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 05:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    To be fair, there is some basis for his argument (a bunch of sociological studies), but these differences are due to cultural influences rather than the innate quality of being "gay" (which is a social construct anyway so it's a strange loopy argument).
    sociological studies Oh man, i stopped there haha. I'll take your word for it i hate the things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urameshi View Post
    1. Anal sex has a higher risk of passing HIV
    2. I would say that gay men on average have about 5 times as much sex as straight people, and with more partners. (ie: bath house)
    3. Condom use is a lot lower, you can't get another dude pregnant and when you are young its easy to think you are invincible
    Where do you get such a made-up and inflated statistic from?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Not saying that its a "fact" but in my experience and people that I've talked to I can assure you that gay men have dramatically more sex than straight men if they choose to and have the looks/body to do it. If you want to have sex have fun jumping though all the hoops that women will throw at you. A good looking gay guy on the other hand could have sex on a moments notice at say a bath house with as many men as he wants, go to a bar and literally pick up another guy with a look and be on their way home 5 minutes later, etc. In the gay community, well in an urban area it comes down to I'm hot, you're hot, lets f#ck, a large part of the time. And yes I am aware that there are women who can be picked up very easily but its not anywhere near as common as it is in the gay community. You are a guy, think about it...

10+ Year Old Account

sociological studies Oh man, i stopped there haha. I'll take your word for it i hate the things
    And you are rejecting the validity of the field of sociology.... why exactly?

Deleted
    And you are rejecting the validity of the field of sociology.... why exactly?
    Because i know english is not your main language i'll let you off on this one!

But no i am not rejecting the validity of the field of sociology as you so finely put it, I think if you re-read what i said "I hate the things". I have not discredited it in any way...

I think the many marxist literary criticisms i was forced to read feed that hate into the being i am now

10+ Year Old Account
    Because i know english is not your main language i'll let you off on this one!

But no i am not rejecting the validity of the field of sociology as you so finely put it, I think if you re-read what i said "I hate the things". I have not discredited it in any way...

I think the many marxist literary criticisms i was forced to read feed that hate into the being i am now
    Before you criticize the literary ability of others, perhaps you should double check your own works so that you can maintain logical consistency.

If you stop reading someone's position because he is referencing sociological studies, than the logical assumption is that you are rejecting their validity.

I wish I was at work so I had access to my APA database. While some studies have found "higher degrees" of promiscuity among gay males, there are a few points that need to be understood:

1.) The gay sexual culture is a product of the gay psychological culture. What I mean is that the societal pressures and prejudices against gay men lead to a greater likelihood of problems with self-esteem and self-image. When those problems are seated within a person it is not uncommon for them to seek validation from other sources. In this case one of those sources may be unsafe sexual practices. Gay men and lesbians are also more likely to suffer from an Axis I disorder, and have higher rates of incidence of substance use problems. Gay men don't have more partners because they are gay, but because of low self-esteem and poor self image.

2.) Gay men with appropriate self images who are able to sustain healthy relationships have far, far lower sexual partners.
    Last edited by Beenie; 2012-11-29 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Clarification

Deleted
    Before you criticize the literary ability of others, perhaps you should double check your own works so that you can maintain logical consistency.

If you stop reading someone's position because he is referencing sociological studies, than the logical assumption is that you are rejecting their validity.
    Perhaps im not interested as how i come across via my puncuation and structuring of a sentance at this late hour? Or perhaps i simply dont care full stop. (+1for the cheap shot though)

Eitherway, you seem to be a little peeved at the thought i am rejecting sociological studies as a whole. Yes they have a place, do i care for them? No, and i doubt i ever will. But if this little tirade is to try and berate me into feeling bad about this, well it isnt working. My belief is this,

A person may have a view, it does not harm me, it will not offend me. I will look through all aspects of there agurment/ view and then respond without dismissing it as total claptrap.

Yes i may of given the wrong impression on my stance of sociological studies... But do i care? no. Do you? Yes i guess if this twists you the wrong way.

And the criticism of your english capabilities was there because i thought my fine sense of humour eluded you (and you being russian may not of picked up the er... subtle markers?), i guess you saw it and just tried to raise a few points.

Well they failed in my eyes, feel free to fire away at me. You wont gain much of a response

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Its not like it sounds totally off though. I think its fairly safe to say a guys sex drive on average is quite high.
    Doesen't it make sense at all that when the sex drive of males are higher
    And guys are attracted to the same gender, Sex probably occurs more often as if it was with male and female? Not that there arent any females with a high sex drive.

^If that made any sense

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Its not like it sounds totally off though. I think its fairly safe to say a guys sex drive on average is quite high.
    Doesen't it make sense at all that when the sex drive of males are higher
    And guys are attracted to the same gender, Sex probably occurs more often as if it was with male and female? Not that there arent any females with a high sex drive.

^If that made any sense
    I'd actually agree in part to what you say, there are some people that have a very high libido irrespective of sex. As for it being higher than men rather than women, i'd need to read more on the matter to comment.

But obviously in highly populated areas (London, Brighton ect) i can imagine what you say is infact true more so because of the avaibility of partners and the lifestyle led in said areas.