Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You don't have a legal protection from people being jerks. If you can prove it's harassment, that's different. But a single instance of someone mocking a disability is not harassment.
    Looks like the Judge in the case disagrees. Unless you are somehow going to contradict yourself and still try to act like you are still in the right.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

You don't have a legal protection from people being jerks. If you can prove it's harassment, that's different. But a single instance of someone mocking a disability is not harassment.
    There are laws against hate speech here and i see nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Looks like the Judge in the case disagrees. Unless you are somehow going to contradict yourself and still try to act like you are still in the right.
    Judges aren't always right. That's what the appeals process is for. I doubt he'll appeal over 29 days, but that doesn't make the Judge right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    In the US? Laws against hate speech are illegal.

Are you serious?

You are an adult and have a stressful job full with assholes, this is normal.
    So it is unsettling because it happens to a child. How was that equality crap again ?

Deleted
    He deserved it. That's all. And no, I don't care that there wasn't a strong basis for him being charged, because he deserved it. Plus 30 days is not that much.

Are you serious?

You are an adult and have a stressful job full with assholes, this is normal.

The girl is a child with a disability that she has to deal with every day.
    Treating her special because she's different is the opposite of treating everyone 'the same.' Maybe I deserve more rights because I'm a white male. As I said (I think on page 3) jail time is way too much. A fine, court-ordered therapy, and/or community service at most. A better solution is expelling the son for bullying. (which seems way more appropriate to me) Police don't belong in this situation.

This is incorrect BTW. There are limitations, but 'hate speech' is a protected right.

Deleted
    Wish I'd have some pityworth condition so i could sue everyone that looks at me funny... not because EVERYONE does it, but apparently that's what this world is coming to. And to all those who are supporting judge's decision, stay in your houses and don't make contact with other human beings, that's what's best you can do for society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some small time judge in a common law system. That stuff happens. Higher courts overturn judges all the time. I wouldn't settle on anything from one ruling by one small town judge.

I got a trespassing ticket in a small town once when I was using a phone booth. The police just gave me a ticket and never asked me to leave. Small town judge and a kangaroo court. I easily appealed and won.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-11-30 at 10:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Some small time judge in a common law system. That stuff happens. Higher courts overturn judges all the time. I wouldn't settle on anything from one ruling by one small town judge.
    Maybe, maybe not. The more he fights it, the more attention will be drawn to his actions, which while not strictly legally wrong are definitely wrong according to the views of most in society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judges aren't always right. That's what the appeals process is for. I doubt he'll appeal over 29 days, but that doesn't make the Judge right.
    Are we sure it was a single incident?
    Seems like it was probably a recurring incident since they were able to catch what he was doing on camera. They probably new he'd do it. If it happened multiple times then it's harassment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    That's not freedom of speech though... Freedom of speech doesn't cover everything, you're still not allowed to threaten, mock or otherwise insult other people...
    So making fun of people in any context according to you should be illegal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    I'm surprised you're bringing up the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Round about no-one pays the slightest bit of attention to it legally.
    True that. One look at this thread confirms it, which sickens me, frankly.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    And we shouldn't.
    Why not? Who is it that defines "hate group"?

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

The girl? That got mocked? You missed that part?
    I'm not sure that being mocked is an abrogation of someone's rights. Unpleasant, it can be. Insulting, it can be. Denial of rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    I'm surprised you're bringing up the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Round about no-one pays the slightest bit of attention to it legally.
    The UN Declaration on Human Rights was never intended to be a legal code. It was meant to be a secular codification of morality, one that could be used by the international system to determine rights and wrongs in the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except he didn't swing his fist.

As I said, he's a fucking asshole but you don't get to be arrested for freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech doesnt give you the right to bully people, you cant see the forest for the trees. Thats the problem with society

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, if i was him i'd make sure i did enough to earn this 29 days in jail.
    unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Freedom of speech doesnt give you the right to bully people, you cant see the forest for the trees. Thats the problem with society
    Sure it does. I can say whatever I want as long as it doesn't incite violence. Making fun of people is not something that should be punishable by jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    So it is unsettling because it happens to a child. How was that equality crap again ?
    Equality in courts is nonexistent. In this case however you have a 10 year old girl with a disability and a grown fucking man(!) who harasses her. This goes far beyond free speech, this is psychological harassment. He induces pain in a girl by mocking her disability, he deserves the jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Disorderly Conduct and Aggravated Menacing is what he was charged with, and both are very vague crimes but what he did falls under either/or. Usually when you are charged with one of these you show up for court, plead no contest and pay a fine. But I imagine the Judge - rightfully so - wanted to impress upon this forty-three fucking year old child that this is not how you behave in society.
    This pretty much sums it up.