Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    That's not the point. I don't want to discuss whether they have the right to do whatever they do, I'm trying to find the logic in their behaviour.
    If you mentioned it, I seem to have missed it: why did you join this guild? It sounds like you joined a guild with a lot of jerks in it. Since it's new, you don't lose much by cutting your losses. If you were looking for a friendly, respectful guild, it's time to move on. If you were looking for a solid raiding or PVP guild, and these guys can do that, then you either deal with it or move on.

In my time playing this game, my experience is that most guilds, even the scrub guilds most of us find ourselves in initially(I dont mean that in a condescending way, but remember that first raiding guild you joined, the one that raided 4 nights a week and only downed three bosses in Naxx? Them.) usually have strict rules about how you treat other players.

If your guild is no better than trade chat, or is worse, then go find a guild where the people are at least respectful of each other, and don't waste the trying to analyze why people are jerks. You can go get a PhD in psychology and get paid to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Todays generation is a lot worse than the 60's/70's/80's/90's, it's pretty obvious. I was raised in the 90's and I'm so glad I was, kids today are spoiled and lazy little brats. Back then we actually went to each others houses or played in the street to socialize, now people do it all over Facebook.
    People need to quit pretending like the problems with youth today have not always been prevalent. It is just more visible now because everybody is wired into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Todays generation is a lot worse than the 60's/70's/80's/90's, it's pretty obvious. I was raised in the 90's and I'm so glad I was, kids today are spoiled and lazy little brats. Back then we actually went to each others houses or played in the street to socialize, now people do it all over Facebook.
    So what? You didn't use the internet because you didn't have the internet? Good job, I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    People need to quit pretending like the problems with youth today have not always been prevalent. It is just more visible now because everybody is wired into the system.
    Let's look at the facts.

When I was in high school in the early 80s:

1. No metal detectors.
    2. No guns (at most were knives used for defense, but the prime weapon of choice was baseball bats).
    3. Kids did not fight teachers, as a coach would knock their lights out.
    4. If you talked back to a teacher, the kid was sent to the principle. How he was disciplined was related to what the parents addressed on their corporal punishment form (many parents wrote on it to contact them if any of their child misbehaved...as Johnny would get his hide tanned when he got home).
    5. Smart Alec kids literally washed their own mouths out with soap (I kid you not, that happened).

And yes, that's public school.

Yeah, kids were kids in those days. The students had a sit in protesting the close of open campus lunch. Principle with bull horn gave them 5 minutes to leave. Those who remained the county provided 3 buses along with scores of cops to arrest them on the spot. They knew they would face a steep punishment, and some were expelled (back then girls were expelled if they were pregnant too).

It was a very different world back then. It was stricter, and the kids acted accordingly. You didn't see kids crying and doing roach dances on the floor at stores, as the customers would scorn the parent(s) if they didn't discipline their kid. SOCIETY expected parents to promptly discipline their kids. Not raising undisciplined, spoiled and ill-mannered kids.

Today, this very forum is a reflection of what society has become now. It's nothing like it was when I was young. Heck, no.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    So what? You didn't use the internet because you didn't have the internet? Good job, I guess?
    In the 80s when we had the internet with $300 phone bills for using it, you didn't act like a jerk to be banned access (there was no other way to use the service otherwise...no 1000000001 forum alts, ya know?).

They policed the BBS boards like they policed the MUDs, and most there anyway worked because it cost a mint.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

It totally depends on what aspect you look into it. If the person been longer in guild for pvp/pve related reason, then you must also take players skill into consideration. If they are both equal then the one that stick to you longer will kinda be higher in the priority list. Because he is time checked and relyable, meanwhile the newbie might also be as good as the oldie, but why would you release an eagle that is already in your hand so you could try to catch one that is in the sky. It's a risk not alot of people may want to take.
    If the person stayed in guild due to social reasons, then the newbie should be as equal to oldie as he could be, because on the social level they are equal.

Now if this old versus new is related to player overall, then there really is no excuse to not do your homework on every aspeck of game even from start. Because there are curently way way more resources available then there were5 years ago, and they arent even as concealed as they were due to all the people trying to live of gaming. So if newbie = newbie, i wont be annoyed with him, i even try to help him as much as i can, but when newbie = ignorant idiot, sorry but nothing can be done about those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Let's look at the facts.

1. No metal detectors.
    2. No guns (at most were knives used for defense, but the prime weapon of choice was baseball bats).
    4. If you talked back to a teacher, the kid was sent to the principle. How he was disciplined was related to what the parents addressed on their corporal punishment form (many parents wrote on it to contact them if any of their child misbehaved...as Johnny would get his hide tanned when he got home).
    5. Smart Alec kids literally washed their own mouths out with soap (I kid you not, that happened).

Yeah, kids were kids in those days. The students had a sit in protesting the close of open campus lunch. Principle with bull horn gave them 5 minutes to leave. Those who remained the county provided 3 buses along with scores of cops to arrest them on the spot. They knew they would face a steep punishment, and some were expelled (back then girls were expelled if they were pregnant too).

It was a very different world back then. It was stricter, and the kids acted accordingly. You didn't see kids crying and doing roach dances on the floor at stores, as the customers would scorn the parent(s) if they didn't discipline their kid. SOCIETY expected parents to promptly discipline their kids. Not raising undisciplined, spoiled and ill-mannered kids.

Today, this very forum is a reflection of what society has become now. It's nothing like it was when I was young. Heck, no.

In the 80s when we had the internet with $300 phone bills for using it, you didn't act like a jerk to be banned access (there was no other way to use the service otherwise...no 1000000001 forum alts, ya know?).

They policed the BBS boards like they policed the MUDs, and most there anyway worked because it cost a mint.
    I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah. And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's because people are insecure and think that because they've been playing a game longer, they have acquired a new form of elitism, when in fact, it does not make them any better. But we're playing a game that houses a lot of people. And like the real world, A LOT of those people are just too dumb to even be worth talking about.
    Yet those people do seem to always get ahead in life due to some weird thing no-one has never understood.

Just be kind to those around you and treat everyone like you'd want to be treaten yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Let's look at the facts.

1. No metal detectors.

all of the things you say happened in the 80s also happened in the 90s-early 00s when I was in school. I don't know why older people have the mindset that anyone under 30 went to school in the educational equivalent of thunderdome.

And yes, the prevalence of the internet has raised issues re: anonymity and civility. But frankly, none of your points really make any sense, nor are they founded on anything aside from your sensationalistic perception of today's youth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    all of the things you say happened in the 80s also happened in the 90s-early 00s when I was in school. I don't know why older people have the mindset that anyone under 30 went to school in the educational equivalent of thunderdome.
    You didn't actually read what I posted. Because by the 90s such events would've gotten the ACLU and DFACs out in force about "abuse". -_-

Can't even whip a kid these days without being charged with child abuse. Then people wonder why kids act like tyrants, let alone need metal detectors and more in schools?

It was truly different then, as society policed itself. Not asking teachers and police to do it for them.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

People nowadays are condescending in general it seems.

A lot of the questions people spam are easily found on Google though, so it's understandable to a degree, but on a whole it's still pretty bad.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been playing since Vanilla, and while I take pride in that I by no means am ever rude, or treat others as if they are beneath me. Idc if you have full heroic gear, or are decked out in greens, I treat all players the same.

People haven't changed. We have. One of my favorite movies of all times points that out.
    Dear Mr. Vernon: We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong. What we did WAS wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.
    Kids have always been indifferent to the ways of the adult, and vice versa. We have adults, of which I am one, playing a kid's game, and expecting kids, to act like adults. Something that we ourselves did not do in fact until we matured. That being said, yes. Social interaction was much more predominate before technology. I don't blame technology, I blame parents. No child should get an iPhone at age 7, they should have an imaginary friend or playmates. Parents who get tired of parenting use technology to avoid their responsibilities and the under-socialized children grow into adults and eventually become our burden.

Things are only bound to get worse with the progression of technology. I volunteer at Big Brother's to help kids out. If even ONE of them ever says thanks or holds a door open for someone, it may be a small success, but it still a win worth getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the last time, while I think this thread is interesting, the thread is located in the General Discussion forum for World of Warcraft. Please keep that in mind or it will either be closed or moved to the Off-Topic forum. Thanks.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    I actually really appreciate this post, mainly since I thought I was getting an infraction and instead was treated to a helpful tip on making these forums a nicer place.

So thank you!
    The mods here are one of the main reasons I still visit these forums. They are very fair and enforce the rules but let people have heated discussions as long as they keep some assemblance of control. I haven't found a forum with mods that come anywhere close to these guys and gals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayonel View Post
    If you mentioned it, I seem to have missed it: why did you join this guild? It sounds like you joined a guild with a lot of jerks in it. Since it's new, you don't lose much by cutting your losses. If you were looking for a friendly, respectful guild, it's time to move on. If you were looking for a solid raiding or PVP guild, and these guys can do that, then you either deal with it or move on.

In my time playing this game, my experience is that most guilds, even the scrub guilds most of us find ourselves in initially(I dont mean that in a condescending way, but remember that first raiding guild you joined, the one that raided 4 nights a week and only downed three bosses in Naxx? Them.) usually have strict rules about how you treat other players.

If your guild is no better than trade chat, or is worse, then go find a guild where the people are at least respectful of each other, and don't waste the trying to analyze why people are jerks. You can go get a PhD in psychology and get paid to do that.
    I didn't join for any particular reason, I was just looking for a guild for my alt. Most people there were actually pretty nice, it was just 2 or 3 people who took things a bit too seriously and then left. There were a few insults but they came from just one person. In the end I left because it was a little bit too much drama for me.