Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Windows 7 or 8 does it matter?

I'm new to windows and bought windows 7 since 8 just came out. Should I upgrade now? Or should I wait a little while?

You're new to windows? Oo

If you like the interface of Windows 8 and it suits you, go for Windows 8

If you dislike the interface just stay with Win7

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen anything positive about win 8, no one seems to like it. From business environments, to power users to novices no one seems to be able to figure out how to use it efficiently. My understanding is that even after a decent amount of time spent acclimating to it folks are still finding it really difficult to do the things they want to do, and find the things they want to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Don't really matter. Personally I'd take the cheap upgrade offer while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    My understanding is that even after a decent amount of time spent acclimating to it folks are still finding it really difficult to do the things they want to do, and find the things they want to find.
    Even the most obstinate luddites can instal one of the several tools that restores Win7 start menu to fix the so-called problems.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-24 at 11:20 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 > 8

15+ Year Old Account
    I am using Windows 8, for me that used Windows 7 in a specific way I don't notice any difference other than how I access the Control Panel and ofcourse the start menu is changed. Also I feel Windows 8 is a lot quicker than Windows 7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    Windows 7 > 8
    I think you will find that windows 8 > 7 in almost every OS advancement way. If by worse you are talking about metro, that can be removed if you so wish.

Deleted
    to be friendly to your wallet W8 is the choice, one of the smoothest new OS releases in history of MS for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    Windows 7 > 8
    Arghhhhh because Windows 8 is the upcoming number after 7?

Anywayz I tried to use Start8 from stardock and it wasn't working smooth enough for me. Sometimes it was loading the half of the bar and while gaming pressing the windows button you noticed a 2-3sec delay. I don't know if Stardock fixed this problem.

If you really don't mind the interface and not having the older start menu -> go for windows 8

It's all I can say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

Anywayz I tried to use Start8 from stardock and it wasn't working smooth enough for me. Sometimes it was loading the half of the bar and while gaming pressing the windows button you noticed a 2-3sec delay. I don't know if Stardock fixed this problem.

If you really don't mind the interface and not having the older start menu -> go for windows 8

It's all I can say.
    Start8 worked fine for me at least on the developer preview. There's also a way to remove the MetroUI.

I'm building a new PC soon and I have been thinking it over heavily and I just don't think it's too worth it. Sure it's faster. Id really love that clean slate thing. The constant forced tabbing of applications and being routed linearly through the Metro UI isn't my style. I'm sure there's some kind of tab switching thing but I was never too fond of that. I would really like it if the Metro UI was standalone alongside the desktop; Just something cool you can switch to with the side panel. Integration and or takeover yeah.. Id probably have to get rid of it. Probably not worth that little bit of speed.

10+ Year Old Account

It's all I can say.
    Start8 worked fine for me at least on the developer preview. There's also a way to remove the MetroUI.

I'm building a new PC soon and I have been thinking it over heavily and I just don't think it's too worth it. Sure it's faster. Id really love that clean slate thing. The constant forced tabbing of applications and being routed linearly through the Metro UI isn't my style. I'm sure there's some kind of tab switching thing but I was never too fond of that in Windows 7. I would really like it if the Metro UI was standalone alongside the desktop; Just something cool you can switch to with the side panel. Integration and/or takeover yeah.. It's not worth that speed boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Solemnity View Post
    The constant forced tabbing of applications and being routed linearly through the Metro UI isn't my style. I'm sure there's some kind of tab switching thing but I was never too fond of that in Windows 7.
    It works exactly same way as W7, having alt down and pressing tab-tab-tab... With the free Classic Shell and automatic login I never even see metro.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG WINDOWS 8 HAS A NEW AND DIFFERENT INTERFACE!!!!! CHANGE IS BAD!!! I just upgraded from vista 32 to win8 64. I have used 7, from what i can tell, other than the performance differences that 8 has over 7, the only difference from a quick glance is an extra step to getting to your desktop. "But doesn't Metro mean it's gay?" No. the amount of hate that this OS has gotten for the main window interface is ignorant. I have had an easier time getting accustomed to 8 faster than I did with 7, and the price for a full retail copy, not an upgrade, is the cheapest windows system I have seen in a long time. Value wise Windows 8 beats 7, from what I read, performance wise 8 is better as well, from what I experienced, I cannot tell the difference performance wise between the two. So an OS, being 8, that runs on the same level as 7, which should I buy? hmm, 7 full retail non upgrade-$99.00 usd, $139.00 for pro, or an OS on the same level if not better, only with an extra screen before the desktop-$69.99 which should I buy?

Edit: Here is a link with useful data on the performance of both OS's http://kotaku.com/5935337/lets-see-h...inst-windows-7
    Last edited by Sedon; 2012-11-25 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    I haven't seen anything positive about win 8, no one seems to like it. From business environments, to power users to novices no one seems to be able to figure out how to use it efficiently. My understanding is that even after a decent amount of time spent acclimating to it folks are still finding it really difficult to do the things they want to do, and find the things they want to find.
    On the opposite I've seen quite a few people around that actually like it, myself included. Once you find out that you dont HAVE to use the metroUI then you're set. At the moment I'm using it the same as windows 7 with classicShell, the only reason I use the metroUI is to play the mini game "apps" and stuff like that.

Edit: This is what win8 looks like for me:

Last edited by Evil Inside; 2012-11-25 at 01:03 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It works exactly same way as W7, having alt down and pressing tab-tab-tab... With the free Classic Shell and automatic login I never even see metro.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    On the opposite I've seen quite a few people around that actually like it, myself included. Once you find out that you dont HAVE to use the metroUI then you're set. At the moment I'm using it the same as windows 7 with classicShell, the only reason I use the metroUI is to play the mini game "apps" and stuff like that.
    Is this like a setting or something? Last time I used it everything from Chrome to games were being forced into the Metro. That would drastically change my opinion.

Is this like a setting or something? Last time I used it everything from Chrome to games were being forced into the Metro. That would drastically change my opinion.
    Classic shell is a program that adds back the start menu and booting to desktop, see above screenshot. You can still use all of those programs you've been using by installing them normally, ie downloading the installer from the internet and using it that way.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then I really don't see a reason not to get Windows 8. The site looks kinda sketchy though.

I noticed that too haha, its the real deal though.

You're new to windows? Oo

If you like the interface of Windows 8 and it suits you, go for Windows 8

If you dislike the interface just stay with Win7
    Yeah, just recently went from a mac to pc. I've been using macs for years.

Deleted
    Well then I really don't see a reason not to get Windows 8. The site looks kinda sketchy though.
    There are multiple 'Start Menu' fix programs out there. Do a search until you find something that you like, they all do the same thing, but some look better than others.

Start8 is the one I am using. You can create a mini Metro start menu, or you can make the start menu look exactly as W7.