Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Global "trade" channel

Think RIFT or w/e other game with this feature.

I've played RIFT, and since the uh 40-50 or 49-50 channel(whatever it's called) applied to wherever, you could have some sort of overview of what's happening. The current pugs, trade's, invasions, whatever.
    Atleast in RIFT I wasn't cramped up in some city unless there was a guild raid coming on within 20 minutes.
    I was out doing dailies, farming stuff, invasions.

The second you leave a city in WoW, you're totally isolated from everything, aren't you? Unless we're talking Sha, Galleon, rare's or the rare occasion that someone in your guild actually informs you of some social event.

So, what's the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    There used to be a global LFG channel and it was a mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Really? When? and how?

I would love a global / CRZ chat, it would make achievement/Mog runs so much easier (yes i know you can solo just about everything now)

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    Really? When? and how?

I would love a global / CRZ chat, it would make achievement/Mog runs so much easier (yes i know you can solo just about everything now)

it was in vanilla and i think TBC, and it really was a mess. it was ok sometimes for finding people for a group. there should be some optional channels though, a transmog channel would be cool to look for people cross server for old raids.

This. Times a million.

It doesn't work, it becomes a pointless spammy chat channel, especially on big servers, to the point that the channel doesn't have a point anymore, unless the point is literally just "troll and chat nonsense here."

Deleted
    People keep complaining about being stuck waiting inside cities for shit to happen - this would logcially be a step out of that grave.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an addon that lets you see trade from anywhere in Azeroth
    but I'm pretty sure someone else within City Limits has to be using it too...

TradeForwarder but as I read through the comments it's not updated for 5.1
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

It was actually the best tool Blizzard ever implemented. I was forming groups faster than LFD. It also made the game feel more like a community, you knew everything that was happening in the world. Raids, world PvP, etc.
    It was spammie, that is true, but if you had it in a separate chat window like I did, it was no problem. Sadly idiots whined once again and ruined it for everyone once again.
    Then Blizzard had the genius idea of implementing the LFG interface that nobody used anyway, and we all started spamming Trade once again.

Global Channel works just fine in Private WoW servers. The reason they discontinued it on retail servers is and was that Blizzard is unable or unwilling to terminate the goldselling/levelling/bg rating/arena carriage/gametime selling bots, scammers and what not.

So, while a Global Channel works well on Private Server WoW because there are no bots, it could not possibly function properly on retail due to the huge amount of bots, hackers and spammers spamming every day.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    it was in vanilla and i think TBC, and it really was a mess. it was ok sometimes for finding people for a group. there should be some optional channels though, a transmog channel would be cool to look for people cross server for old raids.
    They kept removing and adding it while they played with the LFG window and Raid Browsers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    So, while a Global Channel works well on Private Server WoW because there are no bots, it could not possibly function properly on retail due to the huge amount of bots, hackers and spammers spamming every day.
    Because ignoring users/adding filters is so fucking hard?

They're either lazy or out of ideas, there's no way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Because ignoring users/adding filters is so fucking hard?

They're either lazy or out of ideas, there's no way around it.
    Adding filters to do what? Filter out trade? Ignore all the bots with a limited amount of ignore slots? Great idea. Global trade will do nothing but give trolls and gold spammers another venue to waste space in. City trade channels are good enough. Stop making comparisons to Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    It was actually the best tool Blizzard ever implemented. I was forming groups faster than LFD. It also made the game feel more like a community, you knew everything that was happening in the world. Raids, world PvP, etc.
    It was spammie, that is true, but if you had it in a separate chat window like I did, it was no problem. Sadly idiots whined once again and ruined it for everyone once again.
    Then Blizzard had the genius idea of implementing the LFG interface that nobody used anyway, and we all started spamming Trade once again.
    Your server was lucky then. On my server it was just a giant barrens chat. Posting for a group was pointless because no one would see it through all the spam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    It was actually the best tool Blizzard ever implemented.
    No it was NOT stop being nostalgic... go to OG on Kazzak turn trade on and imagine you have that chan on no matter where you are = no fucking thank you!
    Global Chan = Spam Chan...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    There's an addon that lets you see trade from anywhere in Azeroth
    but I'm pretty sure someone else within City Limits has to be using it too...

TradeForwarder but as I read through the comments it's not updated for 5.1
    But it's still working fine. I can only recommend it.

On my server LFG was good back in the day... of course there was some spam, and guild recruits/trade posts, but if you actually asked for people for a dungeon, you would get replies instantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    They tried it out and it was annoying as hell. Barrens chat everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Was in wrath as well till LFD. Trolls loved it. Was usefull but for finding groups. Hell the old Lfd where you used to list your name and what you could do was also usefull. (That still exists which not many people know)
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-01-04 at 09:39 AM.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    No it was NOT stop being nostalgic... go to OG on Kazzak turn trade on and imagine you have that chan on no matter where you are = no fucking thank you!
    Global Chan = Spam Chan...
    Yes it was. In all those 8 years no matter how many systems Blizzard put in the game, there is ALWAYS a chat channel that get's all the attention. Because in social games like MMOs people feel the need to communicate.
    If you find great game design to have that channel named Trade (not to mention that the only time the Trade channel was actually used for trading was when the global LFG was in place) that's ok. I personally find it stupid.
    Global channel could be improved, like put filtering to make it less spammie, or put it in a separate chat window by default because apparently there are way too many idiots that run into forums to whine instead of just turn the freaking channel off or put it in a tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please no.... Trade is a mess as it is when in the city, don't want that outside the city really...