Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

[Music] The current state of musical genres

I've recently noticed a lot of hate for the band Breaking Shaquan on these forums. Breaking Shaquan is an indie band that's trying to get their start on Youtube. They use their own original style that mixes dubstep/techno/rock in a way that I've never heard before. Here's a good example of one of their songs:

I was thinking about the hate towards this band, and came to the conclusion that people are too reluctant to listen to music outside of what they normally listen to. Breaking Shaquan's style is too big a change from most mainstream music. I personally find their style innovative, but I guess most people are very closed minded. If bands like Breaking Shaquan can't get a start because people are too closed minded to even give their music a chance, how will new bands trying to break the mold ever succeed? I'm afraid music will have trouble evolving.

What do you all think of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedigimon View Post
    I've recently noticed a lot of hate for the band Breaking Shaquan on these forums. Breaking Shaquan is an indie band that's trying to get their start on Youtube. They use their own original style that mixes dubstep/techno/rock in a way that I've never heard before. Here's a good example of one of their songs:

I was thinking about the hate towards this band, and came to the conclusion that people are too reluctant to listen to music outside of what they normally listen to. Breaking Shaquan's style is too big a change from most mainstream music. I personally find their style innovative, but I guess most people are very closed minded. If bands like Breaking Shaquan can't get a start because people are too closed minded to even give their music a chance, how will new bands trying to break the mold ever succeed? I'm afraid music will have trouble evolving.

What do you all think of this?
    Exactly! They have been recieveing negative feedback on many music themed discussions on this site and many people have mentioned them or even voted for them on polls. People let Dubstep into their hearts when that new genre hit yet no one seems to be cutting this brave band any slack!

I think their problem was adding dubstep, since ya know...that isn't music. Also I have no idea who these people are. Just because somebody chooses to not listen to somebody because they happen to hate a certain genre, like dubstep for me, doesn't mean they're close-minded. Nobody has to like every fucking thing ever made just because.

that song just sounds bad to me, sorry.

Deleted
    Stupidly autotuned voices, there was at no point any singing or anything that required talent to do (Other than the guitar in the background, which was decent) It's just that everything else was, in my opinion, awful. I could make a "Song" as good as that in five minutes with autotune and some video editing stuff, it's original, but not in the good way. There's a reason people don't make things like that, and that's because it sounds bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobakanushe View Post
    I think their problem was adding dubstep, since ya know...that isn't music. Also I have no idea who these people are. Just because somebody chooses to not listen to somebody because they happen to hate a certain genre, like dubstep for me, doesn't mean they're close-minded. Nobody has to like every fucking thing ever made just because.
    I don't like dubstep either, but I do admire that it was able to break the mold and grow. I actually find this band quite good though. I don't mind that you don't like the genre, it just depresses me how many people just say "this band is bad." No need to put down a band just because you personally don't like their sound.

Well first off, it's probably not the genre people hate, This band is just bad. I've never heard them till now and it was displeasing and uneventful. Music is evolving slowly but surely, but it needs to be directed to some sort of audience, this bands audience isn't clear at all because it mixes genres of completely conflicting ideas and styles, if you mix styles you need to have some sort of synergy between the genres being mixed. I would also like to point out that combining genres is not evolution, but simply integration. Evolution should be a completely new genre, not a mix of other existing genres and claiming it to be innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    Stupidly autotuned voices, there was at no point any singing or anything that required talent to do (Other than the guitar in the background, which was decent) It's just that everything else was, in my opinion, awful. I could make a "Song" as good as that in five minutes with autotune and some video editing stuff, it's original, but not in the good way. There's a reason people don't make things like that, and that's because it sounds bad.
    I have spoken to atleast 699 people that think this song is the start of a whole new breed of rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    Sure, it doesn't take a lot of talent to do that, but there are a lot of things anyone could have done, but only one person was smart enough to. Anyone could have made this music, but only this band had the idea to. And it sounding "bad" is totally subjective. I think it sounds good.

Deleted
    I've never heard of it, but if that song is a good sample of their music, I'm not very interested. Just sounds too chaotic and random for me, I prefer a bit of order, progression and harmony in the music I listen to. I don't think that makes me close minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffocatingsight View Post
    Well first off, it's probably not the genre people hate, This band is just bad. I've never heard them till now and it was displeasing and uneventful. Music is evolving slowly but surely, but it needs to be directed to some sort of audience, this bands audience isn't clear at all because it mixes genres of completely conflicting ideas and styles, if you mix styles you need to have some sort of synergy between the genres being mixed. I would also like to point out that combining genres is not evolution, but simply integration. Evolution should be a completely new genre, not a mix of other existing genres and claiming it to be innovative.
    They have a targeted audience, I remember reading somewhere that their album is tribute to kids who find suicide necessary at such a young age and their song spikes in my face is an ironic take on the inner thoughts of their mind, the album cover demonstrates this, kids depressed just sitting around

Deleted
    Sounds like small kids getting their hand on pro tools or logic playing around just adding a bunch of stuff and using effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokedigimon View Post
    I don't like dubstep either, but I do admire that it was able to break the mold and grow. I actually find this band quite good though. I don't mind that you don't like the genre, it just depresses me how many people just say "this band is bad." No need to put down a band just because you personally don't like their sound.
    I can't even dislike their sounds, as it makes no sense in my head when I listen to it. And I don't even know why the words "dubstep" or "techno" are in there, the baseline of that song is so subtle (let's just not say near to non existant) that you can't even tell if there are characteristics to define them to a genre. The only 2 things you can actually identify are the voices (which I don't like because the don't follow a distinct pattern so it's hard to listen to it, atleast for me, autotuned is not a deal, when it's done right, but for me most of it sounds like "let's just do it!") and the guitar, which is ok done, but then it's not the hardest play for background.

Long story short: why should I listen to it? It doesn't do anything when I listen to it, it's even more enjoyable to listen to a person speak, atleast their voice have a pattern.

check the post histories of the first two posters in this thread, they're either trying to promote the band or trolling

I consider it a new genre. I just find it easy to explain as sounding similar to mixing dubstep/techno/rock. I could go deeper into the explanation of it, but I think it's easy to understand if I explain in like that. As I've said to others, what music just "sounds bad" is totally up to the individual. I find this music quite good, and others hate it. I just don't like the people that just say "this band is bad."
    I think the audience Breaking Shaquan is trying to reach are the people that have no order in their lives, who don't know what to do and sometimes think they have no reason to live. That's why their music has such dark lyrics and sounds so chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylera View Post
    check the post histories of the first two posters in this thread, they're either trying to promote the band or trolling

It is just that everyone has been messing with them and bringing them down.

I find it humorous when people say dubstep isn't music, but apparently rap is. I'd rather listen to something wubwub than someone tossing out crappy lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomenommer View Post
    It is just that everyone has been messing with them and bringing them down.
    yeahh, sure. google them and the first hit is this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    I find it humorous when people say dubstep isn't music, but apparently rap is. I'd rather listen to something wubwub than someone tossing out crappy lyrics.
    I totally agree man

Deleted
    Not to be an ass. But this makes more sense to me then the band in the OP