Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    MM spec is not viable. Not yet.

MM scaling is the best among all specs, and if things remain unchanged, in next content patch well see all top hunters changing to MM soon. Also, MM requires you to spend some time trying to get the best stat combo - and it is not this clear as in SV or BM. Both Mastery and Haste are pretty good, but Mastery doesn't need to go very high, and Haste has nice DPS plateaus you may consider reaching.

Anyway, I suggest to try this spec, even now. You will be below BM and SV (not far below tho), but you will graps the quite complicated concept and won't have trouble swapping specs soon. MM is always a winner, whatever happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people are misusing the word viable, and are referencing skewed data to support it.

Look at this: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...11100000000000

Pay attention to mages. Do you really think Arcane was buffed so much in 5.1 that their DPS doubled in two weeks?

No, all it takes is a 2-5% theoretical advantage for one spec, and all the good players will switch to that spec, leaving bads to play the other spec.

Unless you're in the 95th percentile of raiders, your DPS will almost always be best with the spec you're most comfortable playing.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    I think people are misusing the word viable, and are referencing skewed data to support it.

Look at this: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...11100000000000

Pay attention to mages. Do you really think Arcane was buffed so much in 5.1 that their DPS doubled in two weeks?

No, all it takes is a 2-5% theoretical advantage for one spec, and all the good players will switch to that spec, leaving bads to play the other spec.

Unless you're in the 95th percentile of raiders, your DPS will almost always be best with the spec you're most comfortable playing.
    Most of us are above the 95th percentile. Which is why I mentioned two categories. Heroic progression and casual/farm. 95th percentile hunters will see results closer to the actual theoretical difference between specs because they can play each spec equally well while min/maxing each aspect. But you are right, if you're an avg hunter, and you can't play all specs with equal precision then yes you'll do best with the spec you're most comfortable with. That doesn't mean stick to it. If the difference is big enough, take the time to learn the other spec. Do your job as a 'DPS', and maximize your damage and pull your own weight in raids.

But all that is irrelevant. No one here is looking at 'avg' logs and going 'ah that spec must be amazing and that one must be shit'. That would be stupid. We're looking at theoretical max dps that we get through sims with bis gear and a patchwerk style fight.

Anyways though, sims are kind of wonky atm (BM got dropped by ~4k dps for some reason), the coders are getting some more data soon and it should be more accurate in the near future.

But regardless of all this though, no one can force you to do anything. But, if you're progressing on heroics where damage matters, go with the 'optimal' spec. If you're raiding casually, or have heroics on farm, do w/e you want. It won't make the slightest difference.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    You just summed it all up for everyone XD. Be good and play the best spec, and don't be bad lulz.