Poll: Preferred Video Game Setting

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Fantasy or Sci-Fi

Simple question: Do you tend to prefer Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or "Other" when it comes to you video game background? Do you prefer the idea of living in advanced technology or to adventure in a medieval style world? You can list your reasons based past experiences, media influence (movies/books) etc.

Oh and by "other" that can relate to other settings such as historical, modern, or abstract setting (such as Mario and Little Big Planet). And note this is based on all video game genres.

Me personally, I am near equally torn between the 2. I might come to a decision later on.
    Last edited by kail; 2012-12-08 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantasy most of the time.
    Mainly cause of the beauty and elegance that generally comes with the environment. Games like Tera exemplifies it and why I love these settings. It doesn't have to be all fluff or all dark. Just make the settings fit the situation.
    Sci-fi just doesn't appeal to me so much as in terms of environment, I'm not fond of machines, metals, and what not around. Not to say it's bad, but just if I had a preference, it'd be Fantasy.

i like both in equal measure tbh - fantasy books/films(lotr and such) and sci-fi programs/films etc(star wars/star trek and the like), although i have recently started reading sci-fi books as well - pity u didnt have "both" as an option

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a hard one. But I'll have to say sci-fi wins just slightly due to the grand idea of exploring the vastness of the universe.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by btf View Post
    i like both in equal measure tbh - fantasy books/films(lotr and such) and sci-fi programs/films etc(star wars/star trek and the like), although i have recently started reading sci-fi books as well - pity u didnt have "both" as an option
    "Both" is just too easy, least for me as I'm still undecided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantasy. I like space in movies and books usually, but for some strange reason not so much in video games. Might be because most SciFi games tend to end up as shooters, of which I'm not really a fan.

Deleted
    Usually I prefer fantasy, but I won't say no to sci-fi either.

Deleted
    I really don't know...

I like both a lot, but I think I usually prefer the alien stuff, so I guess Sci Fiction.

I guess I like low-scifi and low-fantasy equally much, while high fantasy beats high scifi in most cases.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Guess I'm the only one that voted ''other'', I'm more into ''modern time games'' that takes place around the time we currently live in :P

Its very hard for me to say which I like better, fantasy or Sci-fi. Its pretty much 50/50 for me.

I can't get enough scifi. Its too bad most the best scifi was done in the 80s. : /
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I love both, but I lean more towards sci fi.

Fantasy. Sci-fi involves too much various soulless mechanical stuff (machines, robots, etc.). I prefer dealing with living creatures more + sci-fi is less "believable" than fantasy, so for me it breaks immersion. We can assume that there are various magic creatures living in world as in some fairy tale. But we can't really "believe" a lot of sci-fi things which contradict real science or otherwise look just too funny to be "believed".

People are associating sci fi with cliches in this thread. Sci fi is more than just robots and space, which is what makes it so interesting; it can be anything really. Fantasy too. I can't pick between the two, it really depends on what it is. Both can be equally as amazing and equally as shitty.

I used to be hardcore fantasy. Now it's becoming more sci-fi. I feel that with sci-fi there are way less limitations.

I like a fantasy sci-fi, but not like in the sense of Star Wars. I personally like alternate realities with advanced tech, but not necessarily space travel. That being said, steam-punk and cyber-punk really resonates with me. I guess that's not "fantasy" in the sense of high-fantasy (though, I really would like a high-fantasy settings where other world tech is discovered, which changes the course of history, and actually allow me to see how it changes everything. This might be kinda like another alternate reality, though.) But, what I really want to find, are stories that have both a magic and scientific tech. Yes...I want both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Both, even better when they are together.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

I prefer fantasy between the two (I'm a huge fan of both), but I love to see the two worked together.

Sci-Fi every time although I really do enjoy both. I just love space and the ideas of possible future tech so much. I enjoy the various views on how it can change us. I remember back when Mass Effect 1 came out and I started playing it. I've never been more into a game then that. It's like they took the perfect game out of my head and made a series out of it. The only other time I've been that into a game was KOTOR 1 which I felt the exact same about until ME came out. Star Wars in more like fantasy in space though.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-08 at 04:15 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Most "Sci-Fi" offers so far were looking so profoundly stupid... Medieval settings look more organic.