Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes

the RIAA and MPAA even go as far considering letting your friend listen to your CD or watch your movie piracy, to them, your friend needs to buy his own copy

it comes down to licensing rights, they don't believe you own a DVD/CD when you buy it, you just own a license to enjoy the media, consequently, they also don't believe you are allowed to resell they DVD/CD either

anyway, this is OT
    added on to do list for summer : make library fully deniable encrypted. (knowing dutch police it would insta imply being either a pedophile or alike)

OT: in order for tablets to advance more, the battery is still the weakest link in all current portable tech.

Depends on your country. In Sweden, it's completely legal to take a CD you own, burn a copy for a friend and let them listen to it.

I still want to see (at least) FullHD <10" tablets, non-x86 for a cheap price, just good enough hardware to play music, movies in fullHD and browse. Preferrably with a great built-in DAC.
    EDIT: 16:9 or at the very worst 16:10
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-28 at 02:36 PM.
    &nbsp;

Still one of the main reasons I don't like Apple is that they are very specific about what you can and can't do.

Android/Windows is more free. I like to have Flash on my phone, just because if I ever come across a video I want to watch in the internet(other than youtube), chances are that I wouldn't be able to run it on iOS.

Also Apple products have horrendous prices, I was at a hardware store a few weeks back, there were 2 earphones(for music listening), both were exact same product, but other was for iPad/iPhone/iPod only, it literally costed double of the normal one. Where is the logic in that? Also afaik, Apple doesn't use mini-usb(for charging) unlike Android and I think Windows does. This makes it much easier to buy new charger if you lose it. Apple chargers for iPhone/iPad cost about 70€ where mini-usb chargers cost around 20€.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Specs actually DO mean shit, it's just that developers aren't utilizing any of them. You are experiencing FPS drops because most apps are just iOS ports for Android. If it were developed specifically for Android it would be smoother than iOS.
    To a hardcore minority, maybe they do - but most people just want something that "works". Which is why millions of people buy Apple products, combined with it currently being somewhat of a status symbol.

I've worked as a system administrator for the past 10 years and had the same mindset towards Macs as most of the haters in this thread. That stopped when my employer got me a Macbook Pro as a Christmas bonus and the demand for iPad/iPhone versions of the product we developer skyrocketed. Didn't take very long to switch completely from a Unix / Windows setup to 100% OS X. It might not be the absolute best Unix variant but it is the only one that combines great userfriendliness with a solid OS, plus the hardware itself is just pretty

It's easy to write off the Mac line as crap because they don't run <random favorite game>, but they make fantastic workstations (because some people use their PC for more than playing games).

Also - nobody in their right mind would buy a Mac Pro currently, the specs on those things are horribly outdated

Quote Originally Posted by Kibba View Post
    It's easy to write off the Mac line as crap because they don't run <random favorite game>, but they make fantastic workstations (because some people use their PC for more than playing games).

Also - nobody in their right mind would buy a Mac Pro currently, the specs on those things are horribly outdated
    This feels a little like... what's the word? Paradox? Oxymoron? "Fantastic workstations" indeed, heh...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    This feels a little like... what's the word? Paradox? Oxymoron? "Fantastic workstations" indeed, heh...
    the problem is that their workstations are not any better than most PC workstations, in fact nothing in their line up matches my brother's, and i doubt they will ever make anything near it

most content creators prefer apple because:

1, it's trendy
    2, it comes with easy and free software

thinking about it, this may be why mac and pc fans tend to argue a lot, most in the PC crowd are the more nerdy logical type, most in the Mac crowd are the more artsy type, aka engineers vs hippies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the problem is that their workstations are not any better than most PC workstations, in fact nothing in their line up matches my brother's, and i doubt they will ever make anything near it

most content creators prefer apple because:

1, it's trendy
    2, it comes with easy and free software

thinking about it, this may be why mac and pc fans tend to argue a lot, most in the PC crowd are the more nerdy logical type, most in the Mac crowd are the more artsy type, aka engineers vs hippies
    or common sense vs people not caring about money/performance

Deleted
    Apple does not need a response to ANY tablet. iPads will remain a dominant force in the tablet market simply because they're a desirable product, that 50 year olds buy to show off to friends because said 50 year olds just think 'iPad? It's famous, gotta be the best one!'. My grandparents haven't even heard of the surface yet they know of the iPad. Whether you like it or not Apple is here to stay. For a lot of people, they simply prefer the iOS ecosystem, and Apple products because it gives them bragging rights. Think, do any family members who are over 45+ have an android or windows phone in your family? Chances are, they'll have an iPhone. As long as that market is there, Apple will continue to thrive as a technology manufacturer.
    Lately, I've seen lots of these types of threads. Why does every company need to 'counter' one another? IT IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE! Would you rather have a £500 iPhone, or a £250 Nexus 4 which, imo, is much better? People will continue to pick iPhone because it's Apple. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but no one will push Apple off of it's throne. Me? I have a Windows phone. I have a Windows computer. Every device I have is either Windows or Linux. But my tablet? That's an iPad. Simply because I prefer it, even though there are many other tablets which are better. But I prefer that one.
    /rant/ramble/pile of shit over
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2012-12-30 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    Apple does not need a response to ANY tablet. iPads will remain a dominant force in the tablet market simply because they're a desirable product, that 50 year olds buy to show off to friends because said 50 year olds just think 'iPad? It's famous, gotta be the best one!'. My grandparents haven't even heard of the surface yet they know of the iPad. Whether you like it or not Apple is here to stay. For a lot of people, they simply prefer the iOS ecosystem, and Apple products because it gives them bragging rights. Think, do any family members who are over 45+ have an android or windows phone in your family? Chances are, they'll have an iPhone. As long as that market is there, Apple will continue to thrive as a technology manufacturer.
    Lately, I've seen lots of these types of threads. Why does every company need to 'counter' one another? IT IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE! Would you rather have a £500 iPhone, or a £250 Nexus 4 which, imo, is much better? People will continue to pick iPhone because it's Apple. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but no one will push Apple off of it's throne. Me? I have a Windows phone. I have a Windows computer. Every device I have is either Windows or Linux. But my tablet? That's an iPad. Simply because I prefer it, even though there are many other tablets which are better. But I prefer that one.
    exact reason why idiocracy might be true for the future.........
    just because something is known does not make it good by default. (nor gives a reason to steal patents and claim them as your own and sue the crap out of anyone who dares to say something about it)

Actually, my mum got herself a Galaxy III rather than an iPhone. Though her boyfriend has an iPad. My dad is tempted, but he's too much of a cheapskate nowadays to actually buy things like that. And he's got the eyesight of a mole to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    No seriously, aside from Google's own benchmark the iPad 4 wins out everywhere. On GPU-specific benchmarks the Nexus 10 and Nexus One aren't even close. That latter part is very important, because a large amount of tasks and computations are done with the GPU because of how natural parallelization is for its architecture. The term "GPU-acceleration" is for a lot more than just the browser.

And no, the OS is not nearly as optimized for Google's tablets. It's an open-source OS distributed on tablets that are manufactured by another company.
    Wrong actually, the Samsung Exynos 5250 SOC out preforms the Ipad 4's right now. Nothing can beat the A15 processor in the Nexus 10 right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holes View Post
    If people cared about specs or performance/$, Apple wouldn't be as successful as they are.

People pay more for the customer service or software, not the specs. So I don't think Apple is worried about another new tablet/laptop.

I also don't think anything original will come out of Apple for a while.
    This, a big part of ipad users (atleast around here) have it because it looks "nice" and the appstore has alot to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko93 View Post
    This, a big part of ipad users (atleast around here) have it because it looks "nice" and the appstore has alot to offer.
    That's why my Mum insisted on getting one, it looks nice, its control works well, it is an all round good package.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    You destroy your argument by bringing phones into it. Android dominates the smart phone arena by a large margin. Apple was dethroned in that marketplace a long time ago. Now with the advent of the Google Nexus tablets which do everything an iPad does for a much lower cost, they will be losing market share there as well. I really don't expect the Surface to have much of an impact and wouldn't be surprised to soon see it being outsold by Windows 8 tablets from other makers like Samsung and the rest. It is another overpriced offering.

Older people are less influenced by status and trend than younger people are. Older people are much more price conscious and Apple is pricing themselves out of every market at this time. Actually in this household there are NO smartphones at all. My other family members that do have them have whatever they could get for the lowest price and none of them are Apple.

If I was to ever get a wireless phone, I wouldn't care how smart or dumb it was. I'd just want it to make and receive phone calls and messages. I wouldn't even care if it was unable to do email or access the internet. The screens are just too small and the sound is too poor to do anything else with them but use them as telephones. I'd probably go with Consumer Cellular and take the cheapest phone they had.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    4 gigs of ram, retina touch screen, i5 processor, 64-256 GB SSD, etc... the works. I think the normal Ipad and the Pro version will coexist similar to how the RT and the Surface Pro do.

what do you guys think?
    Uh. . .an i5 processor? Intel's mobile processors are the atom series, which they are reworking. Apple has burned basically every SOC bridge they had, and right now they only have their A6/A6x. On top of that those other specs are unlike Apple. 4 GB ram would be unlike them. (((This might be something Google/Samsung/Motorola may do but 2013 will bring some crazy specs.)))

Perhaps the iPad (5th generation) might have some of these higher specs. Even with the iPad 4 coming soon, the Nexus 10 and Note II have it blown out of the water in terms of specs.

Also, I'm tired of seeing the "Apple has a larger App store" argument. It is just not true. Android devices have MULTIPLE App stores to choose from.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2012-12-30 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Uh. . .an i5 processor? Intel's mobile processors are the atom series, which they are reworking. Apple has burned basically every SOC bridge they had, and right now they only have their A6/A6x. On top of that those other specs are unlike Apple. 4 GB ram would be unlike them. (((This might be something Google/Samsung/Motorola may do but 2013 will bring some crazy specs.)))

Perhaps the iPad (5th generation) might have some of these higher specs. Even with the iPad 4 coming soon, the Nexus 10 and Note II have it blown out of the water in terms of specs.

Also, I'm tired of seeing the "Apple has a larger App store" argument. It is just not true. Android devices have MULTIPLE App stores to choose from.
    Microsoft has said multiple times that the processor in the Surface Pro will be an Ivy Bridge i5. Intel has multiple mobile processor lines.

10+ Year Old Account

Unless I'm reading your statement wrong.
    Yes there are i5U processors for tablets and 4GB RAM.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215611
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131398

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...oose_US_CA.pdf
    PDF outlines it pretty well.
    However obviously, it is expensive as hell.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...help-me-choose
    Supposedly the Surface's battery suffers really badly for the Pro version compared to the RT (I did not read anything other than the last page! So I don't know if that was mentioned).
    Ivy Bridge processors however are battery / power consuming, and the Intel Clover Field are a 'remedy' for the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Microsoft has said multiple times that the processor in the Surface Pro will be an Ivy Bridge i5. Intel has multiple mobile processor lines.
    I wouldn't consider that a tablet anymore then. It's an entirely different form factor made to look like a tablet =/

The main culprit for the Pro's battery lifetime is the screen.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 12:11 AM ----------

I wouldn't consider that a tablet anymore then. It's an entirely different form factor made to look like a tablet =/
    It is a computer in a tablet form factor. It is therefore a tablet. I don't understand why this would be up for debate.

I just think that's a little wierd. It's not really the same thing as other tablets. Most tablets run on mobile processors (SOC) like exynos, snapdragon, tegra, etc. However the i5 isn't in that class of processors. It's one thing to compare the N10 to the iPad4 or 5, but comparing them to the surface is like Apples and Oranges. You can compare two things with similar underlying tech but the Surface is in another category.