Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    It wouldn't work, because nobody fucking cares about what happens on the streets. People only care and cry "DO SOMETHING" when some middle or upper-middle class people die. Everyone knows that the drug war, gang culture, mental health issues, and poverty are the causes. Yet people want to blame inanimate objects.
    Increased mental health resources and research and research into the causes of violence won't help?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The same can be said for a lot of things, what will folks give up because it might possibly save someone maybe.
    I've given up walking across 8 lane highways. Sometimes the small restriction on freedom is worth it.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyrro View Post
    That's what familiarization and a small amount of training accomplish, if you know the safety rules of firearms no one ever gets hurt without someone meaning to do it. Contrary to popular belief no gun goes off by its self unless it has been modified, I could literally throw my Glock off mount Everest loaded and it would not fire unless the trigger was pulled.
    Training and informing doesn't compensate plain stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Why would you pay $600 for a used glock 19 on armslist when you can buy one new for $550 from an ffl?

Maybe because you can't pass the background check for the ffl? Could that be why?

Maybe we should, ya know, do something to stop that from occurring?
    I'd buy a used Glock 19 for $600 if I couldn't find one at an FFL and I was to impatient to wait, I could go to every gun store within 50 miles of me and not find one Glock or M&P or SIG or H&K or small frame revolver or 22 pistol etc etc. Keep digging your hole, maybe you will get to china where the government can control you like you want it to.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Increased mental health resources and research and research into the causes of violence won't help?
    Were any of these proposed in todays most recent killed bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Were any of these proposed in todays most recent killed bills?
    They were part of the bill voted on today, yes.

That's what familiarization and a small amount of training accomplish, if you know the safety rules of firearms no one ever gets hurt without someone meaning to do it. Contrary to popular belief no gun goes off by its self unless it has been modified, I could literally throw my Glock off mount Everest loaded and it would not fire unless the trigger was pulled.
    That is asking me to put far more faith in my fellow citizen than I am willing to do. Just this week a 9 yo girl in my area was accidentally shot and killed by her mom's boyfriend who was practicing holstering and unholstering his weapon for the armed security job he was just hired for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Exactly as predicted. Thing is, Obama (et al) knew this bill had only a TINY chance of getting out of the Senate and a -1,000,000% chance of passing in the house. All the crocodile tears gushing from the eyes of disappointed left wingers like Obama have been warmed up at sitting on a shelf waiting for today. Nothing of value was said during Obama's faux outrage parade. Yawn. At this point his only goal is to try and milk whatever he thinks he can get out of the defeat for purely political reasons- namely the mid-terms.

Gotta wonder how he thinks this is a winner for him though. Poll after poll shows the public is against more regulation, and would prefer him to enforce the current laws instead. His record on enforcing is abysmal, and only 4% of the pubic consider gun control to be the most important issue facing America. If he thinks this is going to be a problem for anyone but his own party then he's mistaken.
    Something like 90% of the public supports more background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Yes they are banned from manufacturing. You can buy one if you want to go through the paper work and the cost of buying one and your state allows it.
    Please go away, You do not know a thing about firearms. Almost every manufacturer that makes AR-15s makes full auto ones for government contracts or police agencies, PMC's, and other security agencies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Machine gun laws
    Registration in 34
    Banned from importation in 68
    banned from manufacture in 86

They are expensive since 86 because they cannot be made anymore. They have been used in a miniscule amount of crimes since 34, their banning was just pointless. Before 86, you could buy a machinegun for a couple hundred $ + 200 transfer tax.

They've targeted Grenade Launchers and Silencers also, though neither is used in crimes that I've seen numberswise. It just sounds mean to the press, so they score brownie points for it.
    They were expensive before 86. A Thompson cost $250-$300 in 1945. Which translates to between $3,000 and $4,000 today. This was probably the most mass-produced automatic weapon until the AK-47. The BAR cost $800, $10,000 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    I've given up walking across 8 lane highways. Sometimes the small restriction on freedom is worth it.
    I guess we should give up cars since more people are killed with them then guns. It's only a small restriction on freedom and convenience.

Please go away, You do not know a thing about firearms. Almost every manufacturer that makes AR-15s makes full auto ones for government contracts or police agencies, PMC's, and other security agencies.
    want to guess how many people who own these guns understand exactly how to convert it to full auto but choose not too?

I guess we should give up cars since more people are killed with them then guns. It's only a small restriction on freedom and convenience.
    No, its a major restriction. And cars serve a critical importance beyond killing people.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 02:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thephayul View Post
    want to guess how many people who own these guns understand exactly how to convert it to full auto but choose not too?
    Given that that's impossible to measure I'd love to know what you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They were part of the bill voted on today, yes.
    Funny since I don't remember anything about mental health in any of the votes today. The research part was executive ordered back in the start so keep blowing smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    That is asking me to put far more faith in my fellow citizen than I am willing to do. Just this week a 9 yo girl in my area was accidentally shot and killed by her mom's boyfriend who was practicing holstering and unholstering his weapon for the armed security job he was just hired for.
    So he put his finger on the trigger and pulled it, the gun shouldn't have been loaded unless he was at the range practicing holstering, but a small amount of training will keep you from doing that.

Comparing the convenience of cars to the extra couple of second to reload a smaller magazine... that's not a strawman argument at all. Since when can we only address the problems the kill the most people? That is like saying "you know heart disease kills more people than cancer or AIDS. So lets end all cancer and AIDS research."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd buy a used Glock 19 for $600 if I couldn't find one at an FFL and I was to impatient to wait, I could go to every gun store within 50 miles of me and not find one Glock or M&P or SIG or H&K or small frame revolver or 22 pistol etc etc.
    I got a used glock 19 to sell you...

The point is its incredibly easy for a criminal to purchase a firearm through private sale. A background check will make it much harder. Why are you against that?

Keep digging your hole, maybe you will get to china where the government can control you like you want it to.
    You've been fairly unpleasant to discuss this issue with. Maybe less snark and we can actually further the discussion.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

So he put his finger on the trigger and pulled it, the gun shouldn't have been loaded unless he was at the range practicing holstering, but a small amount of training will keep you from doing that.
    I agree completely, but the point is people suck, accidental shootings aren't going away and the person killed is usually not the person who was negligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Machine gun laws
    Registration in 34
    Banned from importation in 68
    banned from manufacture in 86

They are expensive since 86 because they cannot be made anymore. They have been used in a miniscule amount of crimes since 34, their banning was just pointless. Before 86, you could buy a machinegun for a couple hundred $ + 200 transfer tax.

They've targeted Grenade Launchers and Silencers also, though neither is used in crimes that I've seen numberswise. It just sounds mean to the press, so they score brownie points for it.
    They were expensive before 86. A Thompson cost $250-$300 in 1945. Which translates to between $3,000 and $4,000 today. This was probably the most mass-produced automatic weapon until the AK-47. The BAR cost $800, $10,000 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No, its a major restriction. And cars serve a critical importance beyond killing people.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 02:05 AM ----------

Given that that's impossible to measure I'd love to know what you think it is.
    given that most who own such guns understand the inner workings the number would be quite high. Just my own experience here, but pretty much anyone who devotes the time and money customizing one has that knowledge