Poll: How much a month would you pay for a Blizzard hosted expansion server?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I know these polls are very rarely an accurate estimation of the full communities desires, but damn, is this skewed.

I wouldn't pay them a cent for it. Least of all a monthly subscription. The server population would be much lower than a regular realm. The community would be worse. The grinding would be worse, and the bugs would be worse.

Deleted
    I played through TBC, Wrath, Cata and I'm still here in MoP.

I once was a little curious about Vanilla end-game (I was lvl 53 when TBC launched) so I looked up the talent trees and some raiding videos; after that my interest in vanilla disappeared. How anyone could think standing still as a Rogue pressing Sinister Strike once every 5 seconds is interesting is beyond me.

That said, if I could go back to the way Prot Warriors were in TBC I would. I probably wouldn't pay for it, but if they opened a server for free I'd never leave it.

How shocking. Another poll on MMO champ with results telling us what we already knew.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a lot of players get bored fast and quit when there is no new content.
    Last edited by ablib; 2012-12-16 at 11:18 PM.

Personally i would pay any price, just to see that people who are still longing for Vanilla play on such a server, only to realize how crappy the game itself was back then.

Voted 0 $ because I wouldn't do it for nostalgic reasons. Nostalgia is a sickness along with political correctness, pity and things like that.

Deleted
    Absolutely zero, and I hope Blizzard doesn't waste any production time on this either.

it's not a great as you remember it
    regardless, at least the pvp aspect still exists on AT

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Blizzard seriously needs to make and old expac server. Any will do.

Just so they can point at it and say "look, see? We told you so", and then close it because there are so few people really playing on it.
    Because fuck minorities. We might as well get rid of raiding too since only like 5% of the player base actually raids right? If they did this they are actually re-adding content back into the game, and enough people, especially newer players are bitching about lack of content that this could actually be a good thing. Perhaps even allowing you to get those old removed achievements for raids and such by playing on certain expansion servers. They could even add a possibility to advance your character from a vanilla server to a TBC to a Wrath to a Cata one as you decide you are finished with each content tier and have all the specialized achievements and/or titles from each thing.

I severely doubt many people would have an issue with someone getting a Plagued Proto-drake, The Immortal, or Hand of Adal as long as they went back to that time frame the game was in at the time and did it themselves. At least they still earned it then unlike the thousands upon thousands of Light of Dawn titles that people got by killing 25 H-LK with a handful of 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably would pay for a TBC server and play it for a while and then cancel the sub since I would eventually get bored.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were offered for free or as some perk in a new Annual Pass, I'd poke around in it probably. Otherwise, no.

Which is why this will never happen of course.

I'm one of those that think the game mechanics are just that much better now and wouldn't want to go back. Besides, I think the only attraction of a Vanilla/BC sort of thing is simply nostalgia in that people think that if they opened one of these up it would be like it were all new again. It wouldn't of course. It would be like playing an 8-year-old game. Fine for an hour or so but after that there wouldn't be enough interest to justify the cost.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    You'd have to pay me to ever touch Vanilla or TBC again. A lot.

But as Splatter said, old AV would be priceless.

Been there, played that. Far too many mechanical flaws that have been fixed since then. Wouldn't want to relive it.

It would be nothing more than a fad for a few months, tops. People would get bored of it, and move on/stop playing it.

This is why old console video games/single-player games work well, and old online-games don't. When you are dependent on others to have fun with something that is outdated and stagnant, you can't expect them to keep playing for your sake.
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2012-12-17 at 01:10 AM.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

I'm one of those that think the game mechanics are just that much better now and wouldn't want to go back. Besides, I think the only attraction of a Vanilla/BC sort of thing is simply nostalgia in that people think that if they opened one of these up it would be like it were all new again. It wouldn't of course. It would be like playing an 8-year-old game. Fine for an hour or so but after that there wouldn't be enough interest to justify the cost.
    Pretty much this. My raiding experience as a paladin in vanilla was standing looking at the wall of a cave spamming Cleanse and refreshing my assigned Blessing every 5-15 minutes, and then running back because the idiot hunter shot the wrong mob that wasn't picked up in time and we all died. The only reason I enjoyed that was because I didn't know any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I severely doubt many people would have an issue with someone getting a Plagued Proto-drake, The Immortal, or Hand of Adal as long as they went back to that time frame the game was in at the time and did it themselves. At least they still earned it then unlike the thousands upon thousands of Light of Dawn titles that people got by killing 25 H-LK with a handful of 90's.
    Especially if they missed out on most of the expansion. Didn't reach 80 in WotLK until May, 2010, and ICC was already out for 6 months.

I'd pay to play on a WotLK expansion only server, as 1 year of that expansion would actually be new to me (didn't start until early Dec, 2009).

If they reopen the expansion realm like EQ did (which was a success - which proves it can be successful) more the better.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I think the reason they don't put out an expansion limited server is largely technical. Even if they still had the old code base for Vanilla or BC, I doubt they'd be able to re-release the expansion as it was. There's a massive amount of bug fixes and exploits that were patched up over the years that I suspect would have to be ported to the older version of the code. Like massive server crashing, teleporting around the world, kind of exploits.

If you just released the original version of an expansion then all the existing exploits would start working again. At that point its just not worth having multiple versions of the game being developed at the same time for a small number of players.

The closest thing could probably do is release a current version of the game without certain expansions enabled. Which is not what people want at all.

No, then again I wouldn't really pay for the retail MoP sub if I didn't get it paid by playing.
    Hi

Good thing these types of servers have existed for free for the last 5 years.

Not legally of course.

Okay guys this is getting off topic, let's see if we can get back on topic before this thread is closed again. Personally I'd pay $25 for a Burning Crusade server because Burning Crusade was my favorite expansion and I would like to have done more than I did. I had only played as a retribution paladin and only made it to T5 before WotLK, so I would have liked to made a paladin tank and raid to T6 as that. That's why I'd pay $25 a month for a BC server.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not voting because I wouldn't play it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'd considering paying an additional 5 to 10 bucks per month for access servers that were snapshots of older periods of WoW.