Poll: How much a month would you pay for a Blizzard hosted expansion server?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gurv View Post
    The past is the past.
    No use trying to do it again.
    You'll only end up disappointed.
    Why is it then that I still enjoy playing Rollercoaster tycoon 1, or CoD1. Saying it's in the past so we shouldn't be playing it anymore is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling it would ruin my memories, so I wouldn't bother.

No. No real reason since you know all the content and once your done with your char your done, nothing new coming

No. Not enough people play the game as it is.

And ruined memories. Nothing can bring back the glory days, sadly.

Not feeling it. Really tired of games that you have to p2p

Deleted
    0dorrarmoney

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played since vanilla, done all raid content when it was current. and i'd not pay anything to be able to play anything of that again. the content that i am interested in (PvE) are so much better now than it was.

Just to point out, Vanilla and TBC was the time in WoW when i had the most fun, but the game is better now, it's just the community that is worse. since the social part of this game is the most important part, it may seem like the good old days this was a much better game, but it wasn't.

And yea the game was still fresh and not completely broken down with math in every part. (someone did the math back in the days as well, but it wasn't as widespread)

In vanilla, even the best pve players didn't have sims to print out the best gear and the best rotation, they had to use their gut, and that's where you could see the good players from the bad ones.

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a dedicated server for Vanilla... Only for PvP though... The game was different, but most of the stuff currently coming out is to "Balance/Improve" the game so... taking steps back would just cause old grievances to refester. Like OP shamans and useless paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    People play on private servers because they're cheap assholes and dont want to pay for anything, not because they're interested in old content.

The biggest poll I've seen so far for old junk servers got whopping 600 signatures for it. So I really doubt your 500k or 125k. Or even 5k.
    Cheap assholes... or smart people who know it's illogical to pay 15 dollars a month for an unbalanced... lack of content... game.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

If they stood up a Vanilla or BC server that was on the regular list of servers, I would probably maintain a toon there. Dunno whether I'd want to pay extra for it, though. If anything, Blizzard should do this to provide more "content" for people who desire to consume their content on version 1.9 or 2.4.3, or whatever.

There might be enough interest in taking on old bosses "at level" when they were tuned for progression, or fighting in classic AV or doing arenas with Season 4 mechanics & gear.

On the other hand, a lot of people might check it out and then go back to LFG/LFR and appreciate how casual-friendly the game has become. Whatever floats your boat.

15+ Year Old Account
    The second you people realized how bad attunement quests were for Onyxia, Naxxramas as well as running the FULL class mount quests for locks and paladins complete with gold sinks and time wasters, the impossibly limited bag space, fears that don't break with damage, oh and walking to level 40. The second you realized how much this game improved since vanilla you'd quit this fantasy server. I'd give the majority of ADD addled WoW subscribers 10 minutes.

What? No BOA's? I have to walk until I'm level 40? Screw you Ghostcrawler, this isn't how I wanted my vanilla/BC server!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    I'd buy a lifetime sub for vanilla right away.
    See you back in a few weeks. lol
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    The only real people who really really want this to happen are mainly those who didn't get to experience vanilla... and let me remind you, it was by far the most fun times this game ever had... followed by TBC and wotlk, everything after that is just failure... Would I pay money just to play a vanilla? TBC? WOTLK? Nope. There wouldn't be any updates, there wouldn't be any new content... now if it was free, hell YEA... I'd go back and fill my my nostalgia tank until it couldn't be filled anymore.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I love how many people jumped in this thread to tell other people what they would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    I have wondered why game companies are so against this and I can't figure it out.

Ultima Online, for example, could get $12 a month from me if they were to create an old pre-patch server..

If I worked for or managed one of these companies I would have them create a new server with the previous level of content each time a new expansion was introduced. Not like it could hurt anything. Bugs could still be fixed, minor tweaks and changes could still be done.. The servers could get the same maintenance and support as the rest of them. And it's not like those servers would be dead.. If you had just one single "Vanilla" server for all of WoW-NA to play on it would definitely get used. I would bet that 80% of current subscribers would at least goof around with an alt on it. Though, very few would use it as their main server. If the server gets used and it keeps subscribers I don't see why options like these are a bad thing.

Besides, it's not like they couldn't remove the server later if it wasn't generating any revenue.
    It could be a lot of work including bug fixes on these old servers, and who knows how many bug/exploit/security fixes they'd need to add in to the old game. Also, you'd probably be lucky if 50% of the subscribers even knew these realms existed.

Addons could be an issue as well. It may be difficult to find the appropriate version of addons used in that time period, and how much work would be done by the community to work on addons and distribute them?

And the big question is what patch exactly do they use for the classic/TBC/WotLK server? Do they use the final patch? Start at the beginning and patch the servers with the next major patch every X months? How do players respond to knowing that a class will be buffed/nerfed a certain way in 2 months? And for the patch process, what about "extra" things done on Blizzard's end, like if something unexpected had happened during a patch and they had to do x, y and z to get it to work, but never really wrote that down?