Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a dude, and I play a female avatar probably 80% of the time. It's just more enjoyable to look at, I think. I generally think of it as I play my character, I don't play AS my character. I also never try to misrepresent my gender in game. It's pretty clear to people that I'm male. I don't know why there would be anything wrong with that.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I got a story for you, I'm male and I was playing a female NE hunter in Vanilla. The Hunter class leader apparently thought I was a girl in real life, but this information didn't surface until late AQ. I had no idea, and neither did he. It got awkward pretty quick, we didn't chat as much and he found another girl in the guild (that actually was a girl irl).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I find it funny a lot of people in Vanilla and BC assumed that your Character matched your IRL gender. It always amused me when server forums would get QQ posts because so and so was not female. And oh hey the lead tank had a girly voice on vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kannaaashi View Post
    It is true that posing / being a girl / female in-game have perks and bonus.. but for real girls, posing / playing as bioys / dudes / male in-game is well.. safer, and a peaceful. plus not to mention it's more likely to find in-game real buddies..
    lets not talk about OP --(which sadly is.. me), but the general fact that this is happening.

i've got tons to type, but internet blew them away..

what triggered this thread?
    an in-game buddy on Dragon Saga confessed to my manly character in-game. he's straight btw. (just to make the story short)
    thanks for re-phrasing this thread -- idrk how to describe this thread anyways =))

but if ever someone does care -- (well, if not, they you will be forced to read this since it's already posted)

I always get caught whenever I pose / pretend to be a 'dude' in-game.. might be the lingo? or the gameplay? or anything -- but it's a bit strange since i don't really give out clues.
    I want to know since, I don't want annoying 14-year-olds following my character around..

I haven't read the whole thread yet -- but this one caught my attention:
    As a girl, I think it's quite the opposite.. I find them creepy, strange and usually damage the reputation of real women in mmo's. It's because of that I always declare that Im a female when called a "dude" or "mate" etc. I just don't want to be associated with them.
    //static2.fjcdn.com/comments/it+s+not+a+meme+just+a+reaction+picture+_5ae5a7f31282ef43d5642a0333118938.jpg
    tell us more about it, okay go on.

---------
    SOMEONE QUOTE ME AND ADD THE IMAGE PLS. /beg
    =))

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-26 at 03:09 AM.

hmm strange, I thought I saw a notification that my post needs to be 'approved first'

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 12:35 PM ----------

hmm strange, I thought I saw a notification that my post needs to be 'approved first'
    ------

It is true that posing / being a girl / female in-game have perks and bonus.. but for real girls, posing / playing as bioys / dudes / male in-game is well.. safer, and a peaceful. plus not to mention it's more likely to find in-game real buddies..
    lets not talk about OP --(which sadly is.. me), but the general fact that this is happening.

i've got tons to type, but internet blew them away..

what triggered this thread?
    an in-game buddy on Dragon Saga confessed to my manly character in-game. he's straight btw. (just to make the story short)
    thanks for re-phrasing this thread, idrk how to describe this topic anyways.

but i ever someone cares -- (well atleast you'll be forced to read this since it's already posted)

I always get caught whenever I post / pretend to be a dude in-game
    might be the lingo? game strategy? mannerism? idk.. but I'm pretty sure I'm not giving away clues. -- so it's a bit strange for me that I always get caught.

and I want to improve on this to repel annoying 14-year-olds

i haven't read this whole thread yet but:

As a girl, I think it's quite the opposite.. I find them creepy, strange and usually damage the reputation of real women in mmo's. It's because of that I always declare that Im a female when called a "dude" or "mate" etc. I just don't want to be associated with them.
    real women? as if it matters in-game O,o
    but mkei. you can have all those annoying kids.

15+ Year Old Account
    In ye olden days of MMO gaming, before WoW, more often than not it was assumed you were the gender of your character. At first the stories started cropping up about how this person was actually a dude, and that all of the players we thought were chicks suddenly... weren't. There was this desperate crowd of awkward internet going males who pined for any kind of female attention since... back in ye olden days, internet females rarely existed, but they were there. It was just like finding the diamond ring in the box of cracker jacks.

When females began venturing into the untamed wilds of the desperate throngs of male recluses, relatively quiet, simple and plain girls found themselves revered as goddesses.

I think the negative attitude towards female gamers comes more from how guys would treat them special than any attention they solicit. Now it's downright common to see girls on the internet and most don't want the special attention but still get it... and there's still a fringe group of males that actually pretend to be females.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Are people seriously suggesting don't use vent as a solution to hide that you're a girl?

Good luck getting into any guild then.

I don't think I've ever been in a guild where the few girls that were there, were ever treated worse than guys. Everyone was hated and yelled at equally during a wipe. If you could even call it yelling, it was usually just raw unmitigated rage filtering out through a microphone. Man I miss Amalyth and Jay and Runn*, but not lucente, fuck that guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Terrible thread title.

Also I don't understand the fascination with someone's gender in a game. It's a roleplaying game, who cares really? Unless you're actually looking for someone to date, in which case there's probably better places to find other prospective singles.
    I had a few people lose interest in arenaing with me after finding out I was female, even as I outperformed other priests easily in battlegrounds and such... I was duelist a few times, but never got the partners needed for gladiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Are people seriously suggesting don't use vent as a solution to hide that you're a girl?

Good luck getting into any guild then.
    Since I'm the only one who said that I guess this targeted at me. I've actually had no problem getting into raiding guilds ever. Not everyone's that keen on hardcore raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I had a few people lose interest in arenaing with me after finding out I was female, even as I outperformed other priests easily in battlegrounds and such... I was duelist a few times, but never got the partners needed for gladiator.
    Yeah people like that are just immature. Well... it's their loss!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I'm the only one who said that I guess this targeted at me. I've actually had no problem getting into raiding guilds ever. Not everyone's that keen on hardcore raiding.
    Same here. PVE players are generally more laid back, I have found, and with 25 people you can't be as obsessively picky as 3 or 5. Although they always assumed I'm a healer before even asking.... which worked out fine because I was.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's... weird. Were the boys afraid they were going to look like crap in front of a girl or something?

You'd think a girl being into the same thing they're into would be attractive, not something to repulse them.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 12:29 AM ----------

Same here. PVE players are generally more laid back, I have found, and with 25 people you can't be as obsessively picky as 3 or 5. Although they always assumed I'm a healer before even asking.... which worked out fine because I was.
    Something about girls always being healers or spellcasters and blah blah blah. Been too long since I played WoW to know if that's still true, though. But I played with as many girls as guys back in the day and I think the only non-healer/non-spellcaster girl I remember was a rogue.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    That's... weird. Were the boys afraid they were going to look like crap in front of a girl or something?

You'd think a girl being into the same thing they're into would be attractive, not something to repulse them.
    I think it was just the assumption that girls aren't as quick in pvp as guys are. Gladiator is really something only a minute percentage of players are capable of getting, and for various reasons (primarily cultural) top end gamers are predominantly male, which gives a biased perspective even though there are individual girls who don't follow that trend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was just the assumption that girls aren't as quick in pvp as guys are. Gladiator is really something only a minute percentage of players are capable of getting, and for various reasons (primarily cultural) top end gamers are predominantly male, which gives a biased perspective even though there are individual girls who don't follow that trend.
    I could understand them being hesitant to work a girl into their clique if she's unproven, but you said yourself that you were outperforming guys they were using. That doesn't make sense, then, to skip you for one of those underperforming guys unless they're insecure in their masculinity or something.

Oh no, a GIRL might be better than a BOY! MY WORLD-VIEW IS RUINED!
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account

Something about girls always being healers or spellcasters and blah blah blah. Been too long since I played WoW to know if that's still true, though. But I played with as many girls as guys back in the day and I think the only non-healer/non-spellcaster girl I remember was a rogue.
    Mmm, I played a variety of classes, although I've never played a warrior... probably my best char was a 49 hunter twink, where I got to the point where I was one of the top 5 alliance twinks in my battlegroup (yes, battlegroup, it's been a while since I was involved in WoW as well).

I could understand them being hesitant to work a girl into their clique if she's unproven, but you said yourself that you were outperforming guys they were using. That doesn't make sense, then, to skip you for one of those underperforming guys unless they're insecure in their masculinity or something.

Oh no, a GIRL might be better than a BOY! MY WORLD-VIEW IS RUINED!
    Haha, perhaps... but overall, I got pretty high and enjoyed my time while doing it, so everything worked out well in the end!

The most ironic thing, though, was that the number 1 pvper on the server, as in gladiator in every season except for 1 good, was a female.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm, I played a variety of classes, although I've never played a warrior... probably my best char was a 49 hunter twink, where I got to the point where I was one of the top 5 alliance twinks in my battlegroup (yes, battlegroup, it's been a while since I was involved in WoW as well).
    I still miss server-specific queues. My brother and I used to server-hop to play in the best, most active battleground brackets. Had some really fun times in level 49 PvP back on Mannoroth. Even had my warrior there make Champion.

Haha, perhaps... but overall, I got pretty high and enjoyed my time while doing it, so everything worked out well in the end!

The most ironic thing, though, was that the number 1 pvper on the server, as in gladiator in every season except for 1 good, was a female.
    Heh, don't let the facts get in the way of the fragile male ego. Insecurity seems to reign supreme among boys in most games like WoW. It seems like most of them refuse to grow up.

Hmm, I never noticed it before, but now that you mentioned it, that does seem to be the case... o.O

Going through the list of girls I've played with: Tree druid, holy pally, warlock, priest, mage, mage, mage, mage, mage, mage (bestest class ever), priest, warlock, tree, priest, resto shammy. Oh and two rogues. Wonder if there's something special about rogues...
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-25 at 06:51 AM.

I also believe in "I don't care what gender you are IRL. It's not like I would hit on someones avatar in a game." Even if you were on vent and knew they were a girl, you still don't know what they look like, much about them at all, or would probably get to see them ever IRL.

I care more about if you're dragging down the group or not.

Interesting I always knew enough pushovers who would even carry the worst females to glad or Grandmarshal sometimes in exchange for some explicit content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I never noticed it before, but now that you mentioned it, that does seem to be the case... o.O

Going through the list of girls I've played with: Tree druid, holy pally, warlock, priest, mage, mage, mage, mage, mage, mage (bestest class ever), priest, warlock, tree, priest, resto shammy. Oh and two rogues. Wonder if there's something special about rogues...
    Everyone knows that leather clad is sexy! At least, that's what I've always come to given that odd exception.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Interesting I always knew enough pushovers who would even carry the worst females to glad or Grandmarshal.
    My server didn't have a large enough surplus of high end pvpers to allow that, and ultimately I decided to stay on a server where I knew everyone than go to someplace like Blackrock just for arena availability.

10+ Year Old Account

What's the rating here? PG-13? Not sure if my predictable joke would be appropriate.

The only class I've ever been able to stick with is warrior. I enjoyed the playstyle before they kept fucking with it and I've never been a fan of subtle or squishy classes in any RPG. THOK SMASH, stuff like that.