Poll: How Much Have You Spent?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    No doubt you make their Xmas happier by being their for them and its the thought that counts! Etc etc...
    They wish

Dunno, when I had money I only bought stuff for my close family (father+brother) anyway, everyone else should just get themselves something and we do it like that, then no one can be disappointed by a gift and we all get what we really wanted for Xmas.
    Hmm, if money wasn't a problem for me I'd want to buy everyone I know something at least for the thought. But without much cash at hand it's hard to buy something without being the cheapest gift ever, so I'd rather not =/

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't asked for any gifts and probably won't buy them either. I don't really need or want anything. Things have been chaotic with my family the last few years; I'll probably just stay home on Christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Dad's side of the family lives in Chicago so we don't exchanges gifts, which is good cause there is 32 unless someone else had another baby. My mom's side of the family is small by comparison, 13 of us all together before people started getting married. We have always done the pick a name out of a hat and that's who you got gifts for, rather then having to buy something for everyone. And now that people bring significant others to Christmas, they come as a package and you have to buy gifts fro both of them.

I spent ~300 on my girlfriend alone, but half of that was Tickets to see Elf live at the 5th Ave. Theater.

Deleted
    Nothing. I don't buy presents or expect presents to be bought for me, just the actual day and being with my partner, friends and family is enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a cent and I intend for it to stay that way.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

I spent about $150 each on my two parents and about $100 for my brother. My husband and I don't buy each other anything for Xmas because our money is pooled together, If we want something we go buy it. We did gifts when we were dating but it just seems silly for us to go out and buy each other something with money that is both of ours.

I cannot imagine spending $3,000+ on Christmas.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    somewhere in the $3000-3500 range, which is not an option...
    Wow, how many people do you buy for?
    Last edited by Seirith; 2012-12-21 at 03:52 PM.

Deleted
    Spent about £22 all together. Only bought for two friends 'cause they got me something when I told them not to... felt bad then when I had nothing for them so I had to make a quick Tesco trip.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Hmm, if money wasn't a problem for me I'd want to buy everyone I know something at least for the thought. But without much cash at hand it's hard to buy something without being the cheapest gift ever, so I'd rather not =/
    Ive just never been one for giving gifts I spose, probably more to do with my early upbringing as a JW and then we not having much money until I had my own place and job. Personally I enjoy Xmas for the nice big family dinner (normally was around 13-15 of us), thats what made it special, presents were just never one of the things that mattered (except maybe from my dad, who always made a huge effort.)

Deleted
    Too much...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    I just cannot imagine spending $3,000+ on Christmas.

When you're buying for multiple teenagers (3 in my case) and a few other kids, plus partner/parents x 2 sets/assorted other family members = easy to do that much cash

10+ Year Old Account
    Wife + 3 kids + family coming to town = over 1000

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliani View Post
    I decided a looong time ago that I would only buy presents for my mom, dad, and brother. There are a couple family members that still insist on giving me something, though I tell them it isn't necessary. I also put a lot of though into what would be the perfect gift, though the most I've spent on a single gift was about $55. It was the farting hippo stuffed animal, Fred, from NCIS for my Dad.

Spending tons of money per gift to wow the recipients and the other people in attendance isn't about gift giving, it's about impressing others and out-doing them.
    That's true, most of the time it is. Though... a farting hippo stuffed animal? I have to get that!

10+ Year Old Account
    i spent close to 1000 i think

Deleted
    Don't celebrate it, YAY MONEY!

Just finished my shopping today.

There's really only 5 family members I care/like enough to get presents for (Sisters, Mum, Dad and Nana - All my cousins and whatnot are assholes) ... And since I turned 18 (20 now) my brain decided that it was time to up the anti and $100 per person was the correct amount ... I usually go over and hence this year I've spent slightly under $600.

I really wish I earned a ton more so I could give more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    Wow, how many people do you buy for?
    It's not always the amount of people. Mine worked out like this:

- $75 Amazon.com gift card for dad
    - $50 x 3 gift cards for niece, nephew, and cousin
    - $1,837 in gifts for my partner!

So most of it was just one person, not really a whole pile of people. He wanted some big gifts, like a new iPad, which came out to just over a $1000 with all of the accessories.

About $600 for 13 people. All of it is for family. If I didn't have to worry about my husband's giant family (and their children) it would be maybe $100-$150 for my family (parents, sister, and her husband). Next year since we have a new baby we will be staying home for Christmas and honestly I will probably only get my family small homemade gifts. I hope people understand since we need to save for our child now. If they don't they can go screw themselves.

My husband and I haven't even bought anything for each other this year.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Deleted
    Nothing at all..

Deleted
    According to Google's currency conversion, $19. It was a "3 pocket books at a set price" offer, so I fetched two as gifts and one for myself. Gonna get something simple for my nephews as well, but I'll probably land somewhere around $30. Don't really have too much elbow room economically as a student. =P

Deleted
    Bought 3 presents. Didn't have to buy decorations or food because i'm spending christmas with my parents. So spent about 150$ total.

I honestly wish I didn't have to buy presents, i'm so sick of it, but tradition is tradition and I don't want to be the odd man out.