Page 10 of 173 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    EQ has always been a heavily PvE focused game, and its successor should be as well.

Soooo... can we get this merged with another thread, or get this OP unbanned (assuming the roommate thing is true) so it can actually be updated?
    If anyone wants to take over the OP, just PM me with what you want to post and I'll update it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am slightly concerned the art direction will be something grotesque.
    Honestly I think the art style in EQ1/2 is beyond bland and boring, so I'm hoping they'll actually try to do something interesting with this. If they use a similar style to PS2, I'd be ok with it, but please god not the same horrid style used in EQ2 -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Though I never really got into EQ1 nor 2 (tried them both for a short period), I'm quite eager to see what EQNext is gonna be like. From what few official statements I've heard, I gather they're really trying to make something different from current MMO's. Most of all I want to see how PvP is handled. PvE is like 10% for me, PvP 90%. If they can deliver a sandbox MMO with a PvP system that has some epic world PvP and no instances, then I can see myself really enjoying it. We'll see on August 2nd, until then it's just hype
    I have zero experience with EQ PVP, however if EQN has any PVP similarities to SOE's other sandbox mmo Star Wars Galaxies then I don't think you will be disappointed.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    I have zero experience with EQ PVP, however if EQN has any PVP similarities to SOE's other sandbox mmo Star Wars Galaxies then I don't think you will be disappointed.
    EQ PVP was...I don't know...interesting? I didn't play on the pvp servers, but iirc, you could actually friendly fire your guildmates if they were on a warring faction against yours. You could gank people in the middle of their raids, proceed to steamroll them and take their mobs, provided it was open world. It didn't look like it required much skill though. You just needed a bard to give you Selo's and resists and you could be near invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post

Honestly I think the art style in EQ1/2 is beyond bland and boring, so I'm hoping they'll actually try to do something interesting with this. If they use a similar style to PS2, I'd be ok with it, but please god not the same horrid style used in EQ2 -_-
    I agree. Definitely not a fan of EQ2's art style. And EQ1, well it's ancient and it shows.

I agree. Definitely not a fan of EQ2's art style. And EQ1, well it's ancient and it shows.
    For old stuff, absolutely. Though the newer stuff they've been putting in actually looks pretty spectacular. They hands they're riding are new and they look absolutely fantastic for a game that's what...14 years old now?

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing EQ a couple months after the release of Kunark (1/2000) and still have an active account. Played WoW for 8 years and now completely burned out on it, SO bored waiting for something new. I have such hope for EQNext and I cannot WAIT for August so we can get some news on this game!
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by obake1 View Post
    EQ PVP was...I don't know...interesting? I didn't play on the pvp servers, but iirc, you could actually friendly fire your guildmates if they were on a warring faction against yours. You could gank people in the middle of their raids, proceed to steamroll them and take their mobs, provided it was open world. It didn't look like it required much skill though. You just needed a bard to give you Selo's and resists and you could be near invincible.
    Ganking during a raid is griefing to the highest degree. Bravo sir, bravo.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Strike View Post
    That's why I never played on the red servers for that reasoning. It was that cutthroat to get kills, at least on Sullon Zek, where pretty much anything goes. From a PvE standpoint, it was not illegal. Do you: wait nicely for the guild to wipe before you engage or do you kill all of them mid encounter then take the kill? The only thing stopping you is your own conscience and from all of the open world raids for the first 4 or 5 expansions, I could think of many raids where you could literally go in with a group of people, kill a few of their critical classes mid encounter and they would be done for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am slightly concerned the art direction will be something grotesque.
    I felt like EQ2 had good graphics when it came out, but felt kind of uninspired and dull compared to WoW. I'm hoping they can provide realistic graphics with charm. I'm honestly tired of cartoony. If Wildstar winds up being the most fun mmo I think I'd cry inside. It just feels very aesthetically similar to WoW.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Strike View Post
    Its not even slightly griefing, its called PvP servers and it is completely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Its not even slightly griefing, its called PvP servers and it is completely fine.

Yeah, I personally don't consider it griefing. I don't understand how people make the choice to play on PvP servers and then complain when someone crashes their raid party

You didn't need to play on a pvp server to basically be "ganked" when killing a world boss. If another guild showed up and wanted to grief you they would train mobs onto your healers. Considering back then you needed a set rotation usually for healers just one of them dying could easily lead to tank deaths and a boss going ape shit on your entire raid.

Can't wait till Aug 2nd. If they say anything at all about bringing back the difficulty and not catering to the general masses like wow did then i am sold hooked and pre ordering!

Yeah, I personally don't consider it griefing. I don't understand how people make the choice to play on PvP servers and then complain when someone crashes their raid party
    I think it's one of those "Honor amongst Thieves" kinda thing.

Either way, I could care less. Hate PVP servers - but I'm so glad as they keep the majority of the really horrible jackasses away from PVE servers.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enitzu View Post
    You didn't need to play on a pvp server to basically be "ganked" when killing a world boss. If another guild showed up and wanted to grief you they would train mobs onto your healers. Considering back then you needed a set rotation usually for healers just one of them dying could easily lead to tank deaths and a boss going ape shit on your entire raid.

Can't wait till Aug 2nd. If they say anything at all about bringing back the difficulty and not catering to the general masses like wow did then i am sold hooked and pre ordering!
    Griefing on a blue server was frowned upon by GMs and was a reportable offense. It was only acceptable on Sullon Zek if you trained them, but they had to be able to defend themselves, i.e. on a warring faction and able to attack you, since the pvp teams were deity based.

Had I played on a red server, I would not think twice about steamrolling someone or ganking clerics/tanks/important role classes mid raid for a kill if they weren't in my guild. My friend played on Sullon and that's just how ruthless it was. Probably the most fond memory of the pvp servers was watching 3 guilds on Rallos zerg the sleeper down in a like 4 hour death touch fest.

The funny thing was to be able to pvp, you had to pve to outgear them...either that or zerg them down.
    Last edited by obake1; 2013-07-19 at 02:47 AM.

Is it just me or does it seem from there pic of the races that has been shown that they are not going with a very high quality char look. The races look bland and general compared to modern day MMOs. Considering they are putting EQ Next out on PC and possibly ps4/Xone they should have higher quality going into the game. The earlier screen shots release earlier this year looked great but I'm not seeing how those chars fit into the world they showed.

Hoping that it's just my high expectations and not how it ends up.

https://www.everquestnext.com/ if you don't know what picture I'm referring to in terms of the races.

Is it just me or does it seem from there pic of the races that has been shown that they are not going with a very high quality char look. The races look bland and general compared to modern day MMOs. Considering they are putting EQ Next out on PC and possibly ps4/Xone they should have higher quality going into the game. The earlier screen shots release earlier this year looked great but I'm not seeing how those chars fit into the world they showed.

https://www.everquestnext.com/ if you don't know what picture I'm referring to in terms of the races.
    It's just you.

There is no way to assume what character models will be like based on a stylized image of an older stylized image. If what you are truly aiming at is art direction then that is another matter and not one we have much of evidence of one way or another.

However, we do know that EQNext will use the same game engine as Planetside 2. Which is fairly high end even for modern PCs at the moment.

You're absolutely right. That's the reason I was concerned mainly. Using the PS2 Forgelite engine I was expecting a better look and am still hoping for that. But the poster they revealed seems cartoonish which is never what I would have applied to the EQ name. Hope it is just a teaser and the art work does progress. Guess we will all know in a couple weeks!

It's just you. Anyway it's just a piece of art, not a screenshot. But if the in-game graphics will be similar to that drawing, then I'll be happy. I think the "realistic" look that they tried with EQ2 is awful compared to WoW. I like cartoony.

Actually that image is just based off an iconic illustration from EQ1 as a throwback to old times for marketing's sake and has really nothing to do with the graphics in the coming game.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalang View Post
    Actually that image is just based off an iconic illustration from EQ1 as a throwback to old times for marketing's sake and has really nothing to do with the graphics in the coming game.
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know if they were going for an actual "preview" so to speak of whats to come or if it was more of an homage to the original.

While I don't mind the cartoony games i do like them to at least have some sort of up to date graphics and that painting was something that could have been done during EQ1 and still made sense. I do want the game to go back to its roots and bring back the difficulty but at least update it to the current graphics. Using the new engine should be exactly what I want in terms of graphics, I just hope they have learned enough to work out the latency issues from PS2