Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    To be honest, I am not too keen on sandbox MMOs. Not that I strongly dislike them, of course. It's just sort of... eh for me. -snip-
    Name one sandbox MMO.

Because, right now - the only ones I can honestly think of are EVE and Ultima Online, and I'm honestly not so sure about EVE as I've only seen images/read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Name one sandbox MMO.
    Xysom, Perpetuum, Fallen Earth (kinda), APB: Reloaded (kinda), Darkfall, Mortal Online (I think...) and there are a few others that are slipping my mind.

Pretty much all of them are indie MMO's or very low budget MMO's though. EVE is really the only big budget sandbox MMO on the market right now.

Second Life? I realize that is far from what anyone here would really want, but it still bears mentioning as it has been immensely successful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Name one sandbox MMO.

Because, right now - the only ones I can honestly think of are EVE and Ultima Online, and I'm honestly not so sure about EVE as I've only seen images/read about it.
    Like Edge mentioned the only big one is EVE in my opinion. EVE works like this:

There is a freaking universe full of planets!
    You can mine all the rocks in the universe!
    There is nothing else to do anywhere in the universe!
    Turn rocks into ships, and turn your ships into space debris! (via battles)

EVE is pretty much a ridiculous amount of empty space, it's definitely a sandbox - but it's not very fun when all you have is sand and all you are allowed to build is ships. If we could colonize some planets it would be much cooler - I think that's kind of the point of DUST 514 - to make those systems more meaningful.

Enough about boring old EVE though...

SOE is dilated! EQN is crowning! It's the return of MMO-Christ! Will there be peace on earth, or apocalypse?! Tune in tomorrow to find out!

*brain explodes with anticipation*
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    Second Life? I realize that is far from what anyone here would really want, but it still bears mentioning as it has been immensely successful.
    Heh, I put Second Life in a whole separate category. The Linden Labs guys are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Heh, I put Second Life in a whole separate category. The Linden Labs guys are nuts.
    Yeah, Second Life there really is no "game" to it other than "making things". :P

Sandbox? Absolutely! "Sandbox MMORPG"? Nope...

I'd find that hard to believe. They've not run a large scale closed beta that we know of, and that's not really a great idea to skip that...
    I doubt it's likely as well. However keep in mind that they have been doing large scale tests on the engine and servers for well over a year. What better way to squash as many bugs as possible before release than to open the game up to 100k+ testers.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    I doubt it's likely as well. However keep in mind that they have been doing large scale tests on the engine and servers for well over a year. What better way to squash as many bugs as possible before release than to open the game up to 100k+ testers.
    It's not going to be the exact same implementation of the engine due to the fact that the game is going to be radically different. They definitely have the advantage of getting a ton of data from PS2, but that doesn't necessarily solve any bugs with the content itself or the additions to the engine they needed to make for EQN.

Deleted
    Xysom, Perpetuum, Fallen Earth (kinda), APB: Reloaded (kinda), Darkfall, Mortal Online (I think...) and there are a few others that are slipping my mind.

Pretty much all of them are indie MMO's or very low budget MMO's though. EVE is really the only big budget sandbox MMO on the market right now.
    With Multiplayer I would say Minecraft also enters the catagory MMO Sandbox

Quote Originally Posted by Holymidget View Post
    With Multiplayer I would say Minecraft also enters the catagory MMO Sandbox
    It's a sandbox game. It's not a MMO.

Deleted
    It's a sandbox game. It's not a MMO.
    Again I said with Multiplayer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holymidget View Post
    Again I said with Multiplayer
    Having a few people hosted on someones old household computer as a server does not an MMO make. Multiplayer: Yes. Sandbox: Yes. Massively: No.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

This forum posting is going to explode soon. I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow and Saturday. :P
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

I'd find that hard to believe. They've not run a large scale closed beta that we know of, and that's not really a great idea to skip that...
    Well Smed has been saying it will be further along than anyone suspects and it will be playable for those at SOE, even indicating they weren't talking early beta playable, so we'll see.

In case people forgot; "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," -Smedley on 1/24/13

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...Es_Smedley.php

I think we could actually see the release for this game in December, maybe January.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalang View Post
    This forum posting is going to explode soon. I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow and Saturday. :P
    I haven't been this excited for an MMO unveiling since WotLK!

A thread that started just before Christmas 2012, and is only up to around 260 posts. I bet starting late Friday, when the information is out, this thread will explode and could be around 400 posts by Monday. I never played the first EQ, and couldn't really get into the 2nd. I did play the crap out of the Champions of Norrath games, though. I definitely look forward to see what all will be going on with EQNext. More information about it will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    "We are passionate about building a gameplay experience that surpasses your expectations.Beta testing is an integral part of making EverQuest Next a thrilling, hardcore MMORPG experience. As with any Beta, the more participation and feedback we receive from you, the players, the more polished and thrilling game we can produce."
    Here's hoping that it's way way off the beaten path of conventional mmo mindset, and absolutely stays that way.

Another generic, or different yet simply undeveloped title is the last thing this genre needs.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Here's hoping that it's way way off the beaten path of conventional mmo mindset, and absolutely stays that way.

Another generic, or different yet simply undeveloped title is the last thing this genre needs.

Yep. I don't expect EQ:Next to be my perfect dream MMO. But as long as it does something different, I'll give it a try. This genre has been stagnating and needs a major shake-up.

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext eqlive twitch feed for the live eq next info