Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    (Bircher-)Müsli - A mix of cereals joghurt and fruit. "Invented" by Alfred Bircher. Müsli is a typical german word and is widely used outside of german speaking countries.

Ehm... Words that don't have a literal translation (Frisian):
    Smûk, Dreech.
    Funny words:
    Mûthûn (moat-dog, a kind of fish), fierljieppen (far leaping, the national sport) and so, so much more.
    Dutch: Gezellig. Yeah; that's pretty much it. Gezellig.

India ( Ram Ram = Hello )
    India ( Ram Ram Bhai = Hi Hello Bro)
    Now RAM RAM To All my MMO Friends......

Deleted
    In dutch we have the word 'gezellig'. It can mean a lot of things.
    I'd try to explain it, but I'd rather just be lazy and quote:

No, it’s not hospitality. It has to do with the atmosphere and intimacy of a place and/or a gathering. You can say a house or a room is cozy (cosy) and that would translate “gezellig” pretty well, but you wouldn’t say “cozy” about a fun evening with your friends. In English you’d say it was fun, or you had a good time. In Dutch you’d say it was “gezellig,” so there really is not a good single English word to translate “gezellig.”
    http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/about/Miss Footloose | Life in the Expat Lane says:
    February 2012 at 2:24 pm
    This all-encompassing word is often translated as “cozy,” but it describes an atmosphere which is a whole bunch of warm fuzzy feelings all wrapped up in eight letters – cozy, pleasant, friendly, convivial, quaint, fun, sociable, delightful, togetherness, belonging… it’s just, well, gezellig.
    http://whatthedutch.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/gezellig/And another explanation
    Edit: Ah damn, someone else posted about gezellig. Ah well ^^

Deleted
    "Widget" I think is a bit of an odd general-use word.

Deleted
    One that every exchange or international student learn first, and there is no translation for this feeling in any language, gezellig. Also when they announce it, it is already fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    "Widget" I think is a bit of an odd general-use word.

Isn't that a 'Thingamajig'?

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:59 AM ----------

So apparently 'have' aka the possessive verb doesn't exist in a lot of languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untranslatability

Kalabalik is a fairly special word, the word only exists in Swedish, Turkish and Finnish as far as I know.
    It was a word that our military(finnish and swedish) brought home with them after years spent in Turkey.

Not sure how to translate it exactly, "a huge mess" or "massive confusion" probably comes closest.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not English, but I always liked the word Schadenfreude.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Kalabalik is a fairly special word, the word only exists in Swedish, Turkish and Finnish as far as I know.
    It was a word that our military(finnish and swedish) brought home with them after years spent in Turkey.

Not sure how to translate it exactly, "a huge mess" or "massive confusion" probably comes closest.
    Probably equivalent to "clusterfuck," "SNAFU," or "FUBAR" in English?

For those who don't know, FUBAR is "Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition" and SNAFU (also a great word) means "Situation Normal: All Fucked Up."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Pička ti materina.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Probably equivalent to "clusterfuck," "SNAFU," or "FUBAR" in English?

For those who don't know, FUBAR is "Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition" and SNAFU (also a great word) means "Situation Normal: All Fucked Up."
    Yeah those are pretty good words and sums up Kalabalik in a good way!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Isn't that a 'Thingamajig'?
    More of a kajigger.

So apparently 'have' aka the possessive verb doesn't exist in a lot of languages.
    Kind of like how "whilst" isn't translatable into anything civilized people use?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Portuguese - Saudade

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Shinanigans!
    YES! and Tomfoolery

Deleted
    I'd say Duende in Spanish. It can be a spirit or an imp, but it evolved into evoking the arts, kind of like sudden inspiration. And of course, paella lol.

And we do have a verb that stands for schadenfreude, regodearse.

In french I'd say "l'esprit de l'escalier" (the staircase wit). You know that great comeback that comes to your mind after losing an argument? Yeah, that's it.

Deleted
    I can't come up with any unique words other than "Lagom", which isn't completely unique either.
    So here's a word I had trouble translating in the past.

Rondell: Meaning "Turnabout" In Swedish.

Many tourists has asked me for direction and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to translate "rondell" into English.
    In lack of a better word I have always used "The fucking place you drive around in a circle with your car". xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I can't come up with any unique words other than "Lagom", which isn't completely unique either.
    So here's a word I had trouble translating in the past.

Rondell: Meaning "Turnabout" In Swedish.

Many tourists has asked me for direction and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to translate "rondell" into English.
    In lack of a better word I have always used "The fucking place you drive around in a circle with your car". xD
    Roundabout, though I'm pretty sure Rondell is a word in English as well. It just means a round thing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
    Hyggelig from danish!
    Damn it, you beat me to it. Wanted to say "hygge"
    Guess the best translation to that word is the american "quality time", or snuggling without the sexual undertone there can be to that.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Roundabout, though I'm pretty sure Rondell is a word in English as well. It just means a round thing.
    Oh yeah, that's true. Still can't translate it properly...

I know it's not unique. It's just one of those words that always fucked me up the arse when I needed it the most.