Poll: Was it wrong to request a refund?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    The books alone aren't going to pay for my car repairs and/or insurance, however, they will contribute towards it.
    So will pawning your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I picked choice 3, but was leaning towards 1...though I wasn't really sure what you were going for there and I would have rephrased it.

I would say:

"It is wrong, however, once you repurchased it after you get over this financial hurdle it would be excusable/forgivable."
    Sorry for wording it somewhat funky, that is what I meant.

I would offer another alternative if you really feel bad. Find out some more information about the author, and send him/her the money directly. They only gets pennies on the dollar for the books anyway. If you enjoyed them and you want to pay for them, and you don't necessarily want another copy of them, I think it's a decent way to go.

Only the middlemen won't be getting their cut, (personally I don't feel bad about that) and the 'starving artist' gets a deserved sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So will pawning your computer.
    I don't own a computer. I do, however, live right next to my local library.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    So stealing is okay from the rich? Stealing is stealing, and that's exactly what you have done. Yes, its perfectly legal, but its quite immoral.

The way to "make ends meet" would be to not buy the books in the first place. Maybe even sell the Kindle.
    Stealing is when you take something from someone and give nothing in return... she gave money for the books... she is now returning those books and receiving her money... no one loses out... it's just a tad immoral, but hey... morals don't get you in trouble!
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Swazi you may be politically misguided, but you're not a dumb guy. Instead of trying to trap people, why don't you just ask us the real question.
    Thank you, however, I am not trying to trap people. I quite literally am putting this towards my car repairs and insurance. After I receive my next paycheck, I will buy the book again.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Stealing is when you take something from someone and give nothing in return... she gave money for the books... she is now returning those books and receiving her money... no one loses out... it's just a tad immoral, but hey... morals don't get you in trouble!
    It's like pseudo-pirating at the worst.

Deleted
    So stealing is okay from the rich? Stealing is stealing, and that's exactly what you have done. Yes, its perfectly legal, but its quite immoral.

The way to "make ends meet" would be to not buy the books in the first place. Maybe even sell the Kindle.
    I can assure you that most rich people think differently.

As for this situation. Having book refunds for 5 days? Rather silly but very good for customer. Still i would keep them. If you enjoyed them then keep them and be honest.

Usually you can read samples and decide whether you like it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with this at all, you're not a bad person. Do you know all about her life? This could be a pet project and in no way related to her entire income.

The people who are saying you're terrible are just dumb.

Sheilor would.
    I guess Sheilor's a true bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

My service engine light came on last night while driving to my uncle's house and the racket-pinion started to go out (making turning my car nearly impossible). I was doing quite well before this repair, which quite possibly could cost $600 (or more), hit me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol I wouldn't give a crap. If you read them in the amount of time you read them, then return it. Its your money, take it when you want it. Use it when you need it! (I almost went J.G. Wentworth on this reply.)

I don't own a computer. I do, however, live right next to my local library.
    You just made me so grateful for my macbook pro, you have no idea. I wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Or at the least pawn the fucking thing for a bit. Oh wait, that's logical.

Agreed. This thread makes no sense.
    I'll get by without having to sell my Kindle, I have a lot of money saved up. Not to mention I wouldn't really be able to sell my Kindle anyway, since it's registered to my account and nobody would buy it. Plus that would be a breach of contract, which would be illegal. However, it is perfectly legal and within the contract to return any book within 5 days of purchasing it for any reason.

WAIT A SECOND.

Whats this about you having alot of money saved up then?

It's Amazon's fault for offering such a policy. If you're in a tight spot concerning money, then I'd think that what you did is understandable.

Perhaps if you -knew- that the author was literally a "starving artist" who could barely feed themselves, and not just assumed so due to them being an independent author, then it might be more morally wrong. But all you have are assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
    WAIT A SECOND.

I'm sure that his car isn't the only thing he pays for, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
    WAIT A SECOND.

I'm not entirely sure how much the car repairs will cost yet, I was just given a range. To be on the safe side I returned the books now (since I wouldn't be able to if I waited any longer). If it turns out I won't need the money, I'll buy the books again. If it turns I do, I'll buy the books after my next paycheck.

I'm not entirely sure how much the car repairs will cost yet, I was just given a range. To be on the safe side I returned the books now (since I wouldn't be able to if I waited any longer). If it turns out I won't need the money, I'll buy the books again. If it turns I do, I'll buy the books after my next paycheck.
    I'm just busting balls

What's the books name if I might ask?

Sounds to me like he need's 80 bucks before his next paycheck. He doesn't have this 80 bucks and needs to find it somewhere. This 8 dollars is 10% of what he needs to muster up so I don't really blame the guy. Do what you have to do, but just remember what you have done to them and to make it up somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you liked it they deserve you money, If you have financial problems now then oright. Just make sure to support her when you are settled.