Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of admiration for Gen. Schwarzkopf, but a great general, i don't know. Is he great for adopting the doctrine of "Overwhelming Force"? Defeating the Iraqi regular forces was something of a forgone conclusion.

I will say Schwarzkopf was great for avoiding mission creep. I helps that he had the backing of NSA Scowcroft to contain the mission. Too bad all the politicians forgot these lesson some 10 years later.

He did his job.

Anyways there's too much hagiography for US generals lately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    "Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

He killed thousands of innocent Iraqis. He led a pre-planned war against Iraq, that Kuwait started by diagonally drilling into Iraq land.

It would be like calling someone a great Battleground leader after winning Alterac Valley when the losing side only had five players, and the winning side had 40 players.
    He took the country using only a 3 day ground war, saving a lot of Allied lives, to me thats what matters. Too bad they didnt finish the job the first time, save us going in for round 2.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Great General

Patton
    MacAuthur
    And Schwarzkopf

I figure that the pentagon and army will do something in his honor !

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:35 PM ----------

sniff sniff i smell LIBERAL !
    You don't know what a liberal is do you?

The guy that made shampoo died?
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    "Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

He killed thousands of innocent Iraqis. He led a pre-planned war against Iraq, that Kuwait started by diagonally drilling into Iraq land.

It would be like calling someone a great Battleground leader after winning Alterac Valley when the losing side only had five players, and the winning side had 40 players.

For the love of God...I'm going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    Granted the Iraqi's were outclassed in every way, but it was still an amazing victory; both for the General and his soldiers.

Learn more about Desert Storm before you make yourself look like an ass, please. Desert Storm was basically stopping what would have been another Hitler from gaining more power.

Desert Storm was the kind of Operation that should have happened when Germany Blitzed Poland.

The United States didn't gain land, didn't invade Iraq, and didn't intentionally kill civilians (nor have they ever intentionally killed civies, despite what a lot of nutjobs want you to think). They pushed the Iraqi army out of Kuwait, then gave them a nasty show of force to make sure they stayed out for a long time.

Even France was in on the Coaltion, and they never get involved with anything, ever.

What should the US and Coalition have done? Thrown a friend under the bus while they were screaming for help, while their people were being slaughtered?

On topic: It's sad to see a hero pass from this life, but he lived a good long life and I hope hes watching over us all now.
    Desert storm was nothing but the allowance of US bases in the middle east. thousands of people died to saddam after the US and the mighty general did nothing to stop saddam from killing them. the objectives were entirely wrong.

And no he didn't beat the 4th largest military in the world, he beat saddam's republican guard. the north didn't fight, the shia didn't fight, the soldiers didn't fight because all thought the US would get saddam and his baathist regime. Too bad they put their trust in the great USA and then died like rats. Thereafter, the most incomprehensible sanctions ever were placed on the country that hurt the population but did nothing but empower the regime even further.

Schwartzkof by mistake could've killed saddam if he wanted. Who was going to argue with him? great leaders do great things, not take orders from GWB and claim some greatness.

You ignore the fact that the entire world was against iraq at that time. that includes economic, diplomatic sanctions. no one can stand against that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    Desert storm was nothing but the allowance of US bases in the middle east. thousands of people died to saddam after the US and the mighty general did nothing to stop saddam from killing them. the objectives were entirely wrong.

And no he didn't beat the 4th largest military in the world, he beat saddam's republican guard. the north didn't fight, the shia didn't fight, the soldiers didn't fight because all thought the US would get saddam and his baathist regime. Too bad they put their trust in the great USA and then died like rats. Thereafter, the most incomprehensible sanctions ever were placed on the country that hurt the population but did nothing but empower the regime even further.

Schwartzkof by mistake could've killed saddam if he wanted. Who was going to argue with him? great leaders do great things, not take orders from GWB and claim some greatness.

You ignore the fact that the entire world was against iraq at that time. that includes economic, diplomatic sanctions. no one can stand against that.
    You do not execute heads of state during times of war, ever!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    The guy that made shampoo died?
    This is what I thought....
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-12-28 at 05:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    This is what I thoght....
    His Shampoo could not have been any good, his latest pics showed he had hardly any hair at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    His Shampoo could not have been any good, his latest pics showed he had hardly any hair at all.
    Idk, I have lots of hair AND am an Iraq. How about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of the guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Never heard of the guy.
    Didn't study modern history? He was the General that led the coalition during Gulf war 1 (I refuse to call it operation desert storm for various reasons).

10+ Year Old Account
    A great person dies and all liberals can do is hate him. Wahhh he killed people.What is a general supposed to do? Go on the ground and hand out flowers and pats on the backs to people who are invading another country for gold and killing them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't study modern history? He was the General that led the coalition during Gulf war 1 (I refuse to call it operation desert storm for various reasons).
    No.

Somehow to me only the time and the opponents are worth to know. Except the REALLY famous leaders from back in the day which everyone knows because they are mentioned all the time. The first Gulf War is just not important enough that details are widely known around here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    A great person dies and all liberals can do is hate him. Wahhh he killed people.What is a general supposed to do? Go on the ground and hand out flowers and pats on the backs to people who are invading another country for gold and killing them?
    Oh boy. The irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Never understand what make the generals great expect they was on the winning side. All the generals did have all the benefits/advantage of more troops/material, more logistic, air superiority, the strategic initiative etc, you are expected to win, it only prove that they do not suck.

Remember then MacAuthur did fight and did not have all the of advantage of more troops/material, more logistic, air superiority he lost badly in the Philippines and did make a "draw" in Korea.

A great general can win then he do not have the advantage, a smart general trying to get all the advantage he can before he do battle. Your great generals is only entitle to be smart generals.
    I hope you know what you’re saying when you want MacArthur to have gotten every advantage he could in Korea before he did battle. China would be a radioactive wasteland had MacArthur gotten his way with Truman.

You do not execute heads of state during times of war, ever!
    Sure you do if they are bad enough. The Allies had people in position to assassinate Hitler at Berghof. The only reason the trigger was not pulled is that the Allies determined that Hitler was screwing up badly enough that to kill him and potentially get someone who could run the war better wasn't worth it. Assassination is a perfectly legitimate tool in war if the person to be assassinated is guilty of crimes deserving death (Hitler, Saddam, anyone who has ever run North Korea).

RIP General Schwarzkopf
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-12-28 at 06:55 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I hope you know what you’re saying when you want MacArthur to have gotten every advantage he could in Korea before he did battle. China would be a radioactive wasteland had MacArthur gotten his way with Truman.

Sure you do if they are bad enough. The Allies had people in position to assassinate Hitler at Berghof. The only reason the trigger was not pulled is that the Allies determined that Hitler was screwing up badly enough that to kill him and potentially get someone who could run the war better wasn't worth it. Assassination is a perfectly legitimate tool in war if the person to be assassinated is guilty of crimes deserving death (Hitler, Saddam, anyone who has ever run North Korea).

RIP General Schwarzkopf
    Execution and assassination are usually considered different methods, assassination during wartime is generally accepted as a risk. Executing a prisoner however is a big no no, if you did that once then it sends a message to other enemies that the same fate is in store if they also surrender, they will fight to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    ...this post with a single-watching person right here is the problem with America... I'm a liberal who wrote TWO very specific counter-posts to showcase that guy who posted isn't a true representation of a liberal, but just being vindictively mean. But you willingly ignore my posts and just select the hate-mongering one as the be-all, end-all example of liberalism.

I don't believe the Westboro Baptist Church is a model of the Conservatives... so why should you treat this doink as a model of a liberal?

As much as I admire General Schwarzkopf, he was a total prick and let General Fred Franks get left out to dry. General Franks was the commanding general of the ground invasion into Iraq and it was his leadership which enabled the US ground forces to do so well. I would encourage you to read, "Into the Storm; A study in command." which was co-authored by Tom Clancy and you will gain a lot of insight into how General Schwarzkopf thought of and treated the senior staffs.

Deleted
    Always good to read when mass murderers, invaders, conquerors and destroyers of the nations die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    Always good to read when mass murderers, invaders, conquerors and destroyers of the nations die.
    Surely you must feel the same way about Stalin, Mao, Che, and castro when his decrepted ass finally kicks the bucket.

The irony of a communist calling someone else a murderer.