Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Fiscal Cliff News: Democratic Aide Says Deal Reached

ASHINGTON — A Democratic aide says the White House and congressional Republicans have reached an agreement to avert the so-called fiscal cliff.

The measure would extend Bush-era tax cuts for family incomes below $450,000 and briefly avert across-the-board spending cuts set to strike the Pentagon and domestic agencies this week.

Vice President Joe Biden was set to sell the agreement to Senate Democrats at a meeting at the Capitol on Monday night.

The aide required anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

This is developing.. Check back for more..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2390849.html

Edited. I know it was posted earlier Republicans walked away. It appears Republicans and Dems are back trying to make one last effort.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2013-01-01 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    We don't follow the constitution either, so I'm not sure what you're on about. In fact. we haven't been following the constitution for a long time, at best we pay it respect as a formality. The Federal Reserve debate is interesting, unfortunately centralized banks have attempted to control our monetary supply as early as George Washington's second term in office (TYVM, Alexander Hamilton).
    "We" fallow it only when something effects us.

to prove what I mean

The WBC can go to dead kids funeral's or the most recent school shooting and bad mouth/bash them all in the name of what they believe in and because freedom of speech its ok.

We try to ban a few types of weapons then people come out of the wood works yelling saying its there right to have them due to "inserct whatever here"

The current system from how much power the president has right down to the constituion in its current state is broken and needs to change. Like i said before what worked 200 years ago dose not work now.

With that im done with this thread you guys have fun and a happy new years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dota2please View Post
    "We" fallow it only when something effects us.

to prove what I mean

The WBC can go to dead kids funeral's or the most recent school shooting and bad mouth/bash them all in the name of what they believe in and because freedom of speech its ok.

We try to ban a few types of weapons then people come out of the wood works yelling saying its there right to have them due to "inserct whatever here"

The current system from how much power the president has right down to the constituion in its current state is broken and needs to change. Like i said before what worked 200 years ago dose not work now.

With that im done with this thread you guys have fun and a happy new years.
    You do realise that the constitution has been changing since it was created. It was worded so it can evolve to meet the needs of the country. That's why we have amendments. It's not broken, it's working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post

ASHINGTON — A Democratic aide says the White House and congressional Republicans have reached an agreement to avert the so-called fiscal cliff.

The measure would extend Bush-era tax cuts for family incomes below $450,000 and briefly avert across-the-board spending cuts set to strike the Pentagon and domestic agencies this week.

Vice President Joe Biden was set to sell the agreement to Senate Democrats at a meeting at the Capitol on Monday night.

Edited. I know it was posted earlier Republicans walked away. It appears Republicans and Dems are back trying to make one last effort.

Biden enters the Capitol hours before the deadline to sell the "deal" to Dems.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 06:58 PM ----------

What's crazy is that in a sane world, they would have cracked the whip early on and hammered something out much sooner. This last minute BS reeks of high-school procrastination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Biden enters the Capitol hours before the deadline to sell the "deal" to Dems.

When I looked at the title. It said deal reached. I was honestly not paying attention to the news for past few hours. I thought they had actually reached a deal. Sadly this deal only will apply for tomorrow. I said it before but I will say it again. Republicans are at fault here. I do not think that can be under stated. I know spending cuts come with tax increases.

But if they pass a bill now to extend tax cuts for the middle class 98 percent of the people. That will in itself at least give them a chance for their be extended to work on different offers. Why the Republicans are protecting the special interest of 2 percent over 98 percent of America. This in my view is what is wrong with America.

When I looked at the title. It said deal reached. I was honestly not paying attention to the news for past few hours. I thought they had actually reached a deal. Sadly this deal only will apply for tomorrow. I said it before but I will say it again. Republicans are at fault here. I do not think that can be under stated. I know spending cuts come with tax increases.

But if they pass a bill now to extend tax cuts for the middle class 98 percent of the people. That will in itself at least give them a chance for their be extended to work on different offers. Why the Republicans are protecting the special interest of 2 percent over 98 percent of America. This in my view is what is wrong with America.
    Look at the bill. Republican's compromised on everything. No tax hikes for anyone turned into three new tax hikes. Spending cuts are pretty much non existent. Republican's bent over for the democrats, who got everything they wanted, albeit for people making 450 instead of 250.

This wasn't the Republican's fault, it was the democrats who have been refusing to compromise.

And now the republican's have given away their only leverage to get any real spending cuts. This with several prominent economists coming out and saying that our deficit will likely destroy both our economy and country entirely in the next 2 years. Congratulations America.

Edit: By republican's here I mean the Tea Party Freshmen and libertarians, who are the only people who seem to actually care that the pyramid scheme that is our economy is coming crashing down. The rest of the republican's are half the reason we're here.
    "We are dwarfs, but dwarfs who stand on the shoulders of those giants, and in our insignificance we are able then to see further than they over the horizon." Umberto Eco - Il nome della rosa

A fantastic guide to what's not in the constitution! http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#life

Quote Originally Posted by Tandrius View Post
    And now the republican's have given away their only leverage to get any real spending cuts. This with several prominent economists coming out and saying that our deficit will likely destroy both our economy and country entirely in the next 2 years. Congratulations America.
    Two years? Dear lord. I would've put it at the end of the decade.

I have to laugh that someone might think the deficit will "destroy our country entirely in the next two years".

Quote Originally Posted by Tandrius View Post
    Look at the bill. Republican's compromised on everything. No tax hikes for anyone turned into three new tax hikes. Spending cuts are pretty much non existent. Republican's bent over for the democrats, who got everything they wanted, albeit for people making 450 instead of 250.

This wasn't the Republican's fault, it was the democrats who have been refusing to compromise.

Edit: By republican's here I mean the Tea Party Freshmen and libertarians, who are the only people who seem to actually care that the pyramid scheme that is our economy is coming crashing down. The rest of the republican's are half the reason we're here.
    I am pretty sure Republicans can not even agree what income to tax people. The Majority House Speaker even tried to put his own plan called Plan B. It was pulled for lack of support from their own party. As far as I'm aware Obama placed actually spending cuts that would hurt him with his core base. I'm not sure where this information you are getting.

Republicans so far from last few weeks want to cut down on spending alone raising taxes on no one and closing loop holes in tax system that would hurt middle class familys. If the republicans are the core base for family party as they say. Then they would pass a bill delivered to them six months ago before the election to extend taxes for 98 percent of the people.

That alone would solve this entire situation. Yet they kept saying no..over and over. They put nothing on the table and act like they won the election. I been watching the news since before the election from several news outlets and scanning over articles. I know what they put on the table and its not even a fraction what dems are offering.

For example in exchange for raised taxes on top 2 percent. Obama was willing to make serious cuts to both medicare and other programs. Yet they did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both sides can squabble like a bunch of little bitches, but neither side wanted to own tomorrow. Big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I have to laugh that someone might think the deficit will "destroy our country entirely in the next two years".
    What does 'bankruptcy' mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    What does 'bankruptcy' mean to you?
    Oh please.

Oh please.
    People have been talking about what is going to happen for 50 years. Bankruptcy isn't something even "MURICA" can just ignore. People with their head in the sand think that NOTHING will happen.

Sadly, you're wrong. It's something that's been put off for a long time, but eventually (and I'm not saying it will happen right now) - it's going to have to be dealt with. Did you ignore what happened in Greece when THEIR country was wallowing in debt? The massive public service spending cuts, the massive hikes in taxes? THE RIOTS? Or did you look at them and say, "Oh, that couldn't happen in MURICA!" Pfft.

And we're no where close to bankruptcy. We're not Greece. Our problems don't even compare with theirs. We control our currency. We have far more wealth.

We're still going to be here just fine in two years.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your current definition of "just fine" is our situation now, I'd like to get your definition of not fine.

And we're no where close to bankruptcy. We're not Greece. Our problems don't even compare with theirs. We control our currency. We have far more wealth.

"Bankruptcy is a legal status of a person or organization that cannot repay the debts it owes to creditors."

I'm sorry, but we ARE there. The US government, "we", CANNOT possibly pay off the debt. It's literally impossible.

At this point we're working on whether or not the interest on the debt outweighs our entire national value - the value of all of the property (including, of course, private) in the US, plus our production. At that point, what happens is basically just theory, because no country has ever gotten to that point, ever. The difference between us and Greece is that their creditors would not let their situation deteriorate as far as ours has already. The US government's debts are weighed on the fact that they already take ~30% of everyone's income in the country, and that it can go up further before "we the people" openly revolt. Who wouldn't revolt if the government taxes on EVERYONE went up to 100% just to pay off interest on its debts? That's the point we're approaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    If your current definition of "just fine" is our situation now, I'd like to get your definition of not fine.
    Really? Are things fantastic? No, but they're not getting worse, they're just slowly getting better. I mean christ its like you people want the sky to be falling.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 03:54 AM ----------

I'm sorry, but we ARE there. The US government, "we", CANNOT possibly pay off the debt. It's literally impossible.
    Its been this high before. We managed.

No, sir, it hasn't. It NEVER goes down. It ONLY goes up. Every day, it's the highest it's ever been.

15+ Year Old Account

They fucking should be. That solution will hold for 1-2 months, it is far better than the 'fiscal cliff'.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Are things fantastic? No, but they're not getting worse, they're just slowly getting better. I mean christ its like you people want the sky to be falling.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 03:54 AM ----------

actually it hasnt... the debt hasnt gone down since Clinton and its nearly tripled since then
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.