Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Confused by Team Siren

Shouldn't a team of League of Legends "professional" players be determined by skill, and not by the fact that you are a female? I just need help understanding how they could possibly be serious, when zero of them have been offered professional spots. Are we really "forcing" the female down, and not letting them into the professional scene? Or could it be they are not good enough to play on a professional level?

Please try and keep this constructive.

Deleted
    I currently can't watch the video, so what I write will be more general.

I don't get why being female should get any attention, negative or positive. If you take a look at statistics from similar games, the chances are high that around 30% of all LoL players are female. Meaning it will average on 1-2 females on your team per game.

Noone is forcing the females down. There are probably not enough role models for females to be interested in professional gaming. I can name two female players (I know there were more) that participated in normal tournaments (Hafu and Tossgirl, both in different games than LoL). I also heard TPA had a female sub at some point.
    Pro players put themselves into the spotlight. Just by visiting big forums you'll see a lot of people shit talking pros for making mistakes. Maybe some female players simply are afraid that it will turn into "of course she's bad, she's a girl". But if someone can't stomach that, they also couldn't handle the "normal" criticism about progamers.

How they could be serious? Probably like every other amateur team out there.

Or could it be they are not good enough to play on a professional level?

Please try and keep this constructive.
    If you want a constructive discussion, you might want to take that part out, some might jump at it.

I truly believe that there is no difference between the "skill" that playing a game takes for men or women. Some argue that the different genders think differently and therefore one of them must be better, but even if that is true, the difference is too minor.

Many players also mistake some jokes about females as being slightly insulting. Even many comments like "go back to the kitchen" are just some people that try to be funny. Just like "Froggen DDOS" or anything similar.

TL;DR: Gender should not matter for being a (pro) gamer.

It's the whole "hurr look guyz im a gurl gamer" thing again. Not trying to be rude towards females, but i never really understood why it's so special to be a female who plays videogames.

Deleted
    Sex sells. Welcome to the internet.

Deleted
    Hmmm... I'm sorry to the ladies in this video, but the fact is, they're just not that good. Their KDAs put up during that video are far, far, far, far, inferior to those that the pros are putting out. They're not dominating in solo queue by themselves and their team with those stats, is unlikely to get anywhere near the top. I don't care that they're women - I'm female and I know how rare female gamers are, and in LoL, far more so than MMOs - but professionals need to be the best in the world regardless of gender, and these lovely ladies may be the best female team but that's irrelevant, they're not good enough to compete at a world level.

There are a couple of female players who have made it to challenger that prove that women can make it to the top tier on an individual level and i'm pretty sure if they really wanted to find a team they could do so. I think all the girls on this team are Diamond at best?

I wish Team Siren luck in getting to the top, as I would all amateur teams who are seriously pursuing a dream but I hope they focus on getting better and improving their skills - which is how they will make people take them seriously - and not on getting attention for being female. At the end of the day this video is just a promotional video to hype up their start and I don't really care that they used their gender to do that, an all female team at the top would be pretty interesting and probably would change some perceptions of gender-gaming... we'll see how they actually do in tournaments though.

The skeptic in me says, well they all stream with ads, subscription fees and webcams, this sort of video will get their streams a lot more views, which quite frankly is where they're going to make their money if they don't win big tournaments... but I do hope they actually intend to improve and compete rather than just capitalise on the fact that they're girls and streaming.

It would be nice to see more girls on the pro scene. But they need to be good. Best way to introduce yourself is to take top places in rankings if you can't reach tournaments.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Scarlett (SC2), TossGirl (SCBW) and Hafu (WoW) all have shown that females can compete on a professional level with male competitors, while many others receive fame (and viewers) just for being female. If the eSports scene is to take female competition serious, they have to stop using the tag "female" to their advantage. If they want to be a pro-team, they have to beat other pro-teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Elendoil View Post
    Scarlett (SC2), TossGirl (SCBW) and Hafu (WoW) all have shown that females can compete on a professional level with male competitors, while many others receive fame (and viewers) just for being female. If the eSports scene is to take female competition serious, they have to stop using the tag "female" to their advantage. If they want to be a pro-team, they have to beat other pro-teams.
    Well, they can use it to their advantage ... no reason not to, but again they need to be good. Nobody will give a damn about them just because they are girls, that's what models and actresses are for.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Well, they can use it to their advantage ... no reason not to, but again they need to be good. Nobody will give a damn about them just because they are girls, that's what models and actresses are for.
    If they keep down that route they'll be made jokes out of if they fail, that alone should be enough reason not to use it.

That, and the fact that no one is going to respect them until they show actual results against top teams.

There's a lot of girls playing on a high level (the one I know the most of is Hafu from WoW) without having to advertise their boobs, it's just sad as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    It just conforms to the stereotype that girls can't play and girls will just use their boobs to get attention. Some women actually want to be taken seriously for their skills, and treated as equals... so everytime women out there just sit on a stream pointing the cam at their wonderbra enhanced cleavage without demonstrating any skill, it just adds to the problem that women trying to go pro already have.

Now if they can pull off looking hot AND being pro then fair enough, but if they're seriously aiming to go pro they should demonstrate that with hard work and skills, not with viewing figures on a stream because of a webcam.

Deleted
    It's cool to see an all female team but they shouldn't emphasis on being female if they want to be taken serious. Although it might be for getting more viewers/attention so that they get popular and i hope they have the skill to prove they are worth the attention.

Deleted
    All female is surely nice to see, because it means that five female players want to be competitive, but it also means that they will probably stay a weaker team because if one player drags them down, they can't replace her until they found a better female one.

Something I've been wondering about is, that I read on Reddit (not the most reliable source) that some LCS teams refuse female players. One apparently searched for a support at some point and a female with a good statistic applied and got turned down with the comment "we don't take girls".

Now, there might be reasons for it, like some WoW guilds refuse female players, but if more teams are like that, female players also get less chance to prove themselves.
    That might not only be a reason for the lack of female LoL progamers but maybe an all female team is for some the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elendoil View Post
    @Scarlett, thats a IT, not a she nor he. Also. Ms Spye, high masters Zerg on SC2, really great player, also a girl, but then again..shes not making a video of her /team and tries to look pro. Shit just seems so legit with "team siren". gl winning anything, bye
    IT.

---------- Post added 2013-06-03 at 02:51 PM ----------

On topic: Their KDR was terrible compaired to TSM/Crs and all those teams. Its like saying to a team in bronze: Hey guys, wanna join LCS or whatever its called ? crappy KDR, npnp ! just be a chick team, herp derp. Simply, I could beat that team without trying. They arent even close to pro !
    Last edited by FoShizzleMyGrizzle; 2013-06-03 at 02:57 PM.

Deleted
    What's there to be confused about? A publicity team that is going to focus on media exposure and raking in money from the sponsors who want in on the "first all-female League of Legends proteam". Most likely no one, including the team's players, cares about the actual results. They are going to get famous and rich regardless of them.

I was actually watching a few of their streams awhile before this was put up, and Solvanas was telling her stream that their manager hired some hot shot from hollywood to write the script and all that, and Solvanas was constantly bitching at the stuff they made them say but they got pissed and wouldn't change the script regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaeva View Post
    All female is surely nice to see, because it means that five female players want to be competitive, but it also means that they will probably stay a weaker team because if one player drags them down, they can't replace her until they found a better female one.

Something I've been wondering about is, that I read on Reddit (not the most reliable source) that some LCS teams refuse female players. One apparently searched for a support at some point and a female with a good statistic applied and got turned down with the comment "we don't take girls".

Now, there might be reasons for it, like some WoW guilds refuse female players, but if more teams are like that, female players also get less chance to prove themselves.
    That might not only be a reason for the lack of female LoL progamers but maybe an all female team is for some the only way.
    Might be just because having a female might "distract" some members' play, but that's pretty silly to think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    It's the whole "hurr look guyz im a gurl gamer" thing again. Not trying to be rude towards females, but i never really understood why it's so special to be a female who plays videogames.
    I have to second this,really.

There aren't enough girls playing, and showcasing an entire team of them would really get them interested

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDok View Post
    I have to second this,really.
    Female gamers are special because one in fifty pro players, if that, is female. Nothing to debate on, just a fact. Until it gets closer to one in three gurl gamer will stay special.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hypotheticaldude: you should check out this pro team
    Me: ehhhhhhhhh
    HD: they've going undefeated atm in all the tournaments
    Me: ehhhhhhh
    HD: they have an interesting playstyle that is redefining the metagame itself
    Me: ehhhhhhh
    HD: they're the first all-girl team to do it
    Me: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    HD: one of them has huge boobs and streams her cam during games
    Me: ohhhhhhhh...

And that is how the system works.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.