Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    You tell me. Does this look like outside of their waters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fa...onomicZone.png
    National jurisdiction (the right to board a ship with a warrant) ends 12 miles out to sea. National waters (the right to exploit resources and own territories) ends 200 miles out to sea. That leaves 1000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The bottom line is that you have failed to produce any logical argument to support the Argentinian claim.
    The difference between us is that I argue shades of gray, whereas you argue black and white. I don't accuse you of making no sense and providing no arguments, because I'm not trying to prove an issue as something that's black and white. You fail to understand that. You keep trying to prove an issue as black and white, keep distorting my arguments, and overall keep making this a pointless conversation.

You, sir, have managed to teach me nothing useful today. Your entire reason for being here seems to be to win an internet argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    lol.. yeah it would be nice
    Most oil companies are owned by britain and the US so the americans would side with the british on this one instead of some two bit corrupt regime

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    National waters (the right to exploit resources and own territories) ends 200 miles out to sea. That leaves 1000 miles.
    Tell that to China, and their claims in the "South China Sea".

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Argentina's obsession over the Falkland islands is akin to some weirdo stalking a celebrity

They need to stop this its getting embarrassing
    You seem to have no clue about what's going on. But don't worry, you are not alone.

Islas Malvinas are a military strategic enclave, not only because of the oil, also because it's a solid base to control the gate to the Antartica, and let's not talk about the access from there to the rich area of South America, yeah rich in raw materials. It's one of the most important areas in the world, in terms of strategy.

Remember, Argentina is fighting over something that GB stole. It doesn't mean it should belong to Argentina since they are Isles... but let's get real, doesn't it remind you people to Gibraltar? It's in Spain, but the UK guys liked it on it's day basically for the same reason they like Malvinas/Falkland.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You seem to have no clue about what's going on. But don't worry, you are not alone.

Islas Malvinas are a military strategic enclave, not only because of the oil, also because it's a solid base to control the gate to the Antartica, and let's not talk about the access from there to the rich area of South America, yeah rich in raw materials. It's one of the most important areas in the world, in terms of strategy.

Remember, Argentina is fighting over something that GB stole. It doesn't mean it should belong to Argentina since they are Isles... but let's get real, doesn't it remind you people to Gibraltar? It's in Spain, but the UK guys liked it on it's day basically for the same reason they like Malvinas/Falkland.
    HAHAH i was wondering when gibraltar was going to get brought up

Shouldnt you be more worried when spain goes bankrupt and has to beg of us brits to bail you out LOL

hey maybe we can buy barcelona off you before it goes independant HAHAHA
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2013-01-04 at 11:26 AM.

How do you steal something that had no inhabitants at the time of conquest, and had been abandoned by the people that had colonised them beforehand (note the usage of the past tense) for nearly 50 years because the islands have no natural resources on the surface, no means to grow crops in any usable amounts and are subject to the storms of the South Atlantic?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The British government wants the Falklands to remain a British dependency. If Argentina wants the Falklands so bad, they can come invade again. Oh wait, we destroyed their air-force and navy 20 years ago and they haven't been able to buy any new equipment since then, because the government has RUN THE COUNTRY INTO THE GROUND.
    That is the reason the Falklands remain British. Not some drivel about democratic principles being so important that 2,841 people determine who gets to benefit from trillions of USD worth of resources. In any event, it won't be them.

Argentina should get the islands. Their claim is a relic of a long dead age.

Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    That is the reason the Falklands remain British. Not some drivel about democratic principles being so important that 2,841 people determine who gets to benefit from trillions of USD worth of resources. (Though in any event, it won't be them.)
    Actually, they would be entitled to a portion of the proceeds of the exploitation of oil reserves in their waters.

Deleted
    What is making me chuckle, are the few people claiming the UK only has an interest in the Falklands due to the "huge natural resources". What they seem to have forgotten (and it is all in the links to sources I provided in the OP) is that the UK defended the islands DESPITE THE FACT WE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE OIL. The oil was discovered recently (as in, the last five years) and Argentina are heading down the same path again due to a poor economoy and wanting to distract their people from the horrible truth.

The fact there is now 60,000,000+ barrels of oil there will just mean we fight even harder should they invade again.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That's because it never happened. Argentina has never really controlled the Falklands.
    Not true actually. Please read the wiki-article about "Falkland Islands sovereignty dispute". I'm not allowed to post the link here.
    But the the whole issue is quite complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Argentina should get the islands. Their claim is a relic of a long dead age.
    In 3 months time that claim will be renewed by a democratic vote of referendum by the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands, initiated by their own government.

Didn't Argentina steal it from Spain anyway?

Besides, the people there want to remain under the British.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    What is making me chuckle, are the few people claiming the UK only has an interest in the Falklands due to the "huge natural resources". What they seem to have forgotten (and it is all in the links to sources I provided in the OP) is that the UK defended the islands DESPITE THE FACT WE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE OIL. The oil was discovered recently (as in, the last five years) and Argentina are heading down the same path again due to a poor economoy and wanting to distract their people from the horrible truth.

The fact there is now 60,000,000+ barrels of oil there will just mean we fight even harder should they invade again.
    Not to mention that no one on that Island wants to be part of a shitty government and economy. Not saying the UK government is super great, but it's at least 1000x better than that banana republic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    HAHAH i was wondering when gibraltar was going to get brought up

Shouldnt you be more worried when spain goes bankrupt and has to beg of us brits to bail you out LOL

hey maybe we can buy barcelona off you before it goes independant HAHAHA
    If i were a brit I'd be careful when laughing at other countries economic situation, your situation is going to be worse than Spain in a few years.

Deleted
    Nation bashing at its best I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    Argentina are heading down the same path again due to a poor economoy and wanting to distract their people from the horrible truth
    Does repeating this make you guys feel better or is it a mantra? Maybe you think by repeating it every 5 seconds you will convince the world that it is true? Britain claimed the islands 150 years. They have no legal right to be there and a huge chunk of the "locals" are in and around the military base there.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-01-04 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Didn't Argentina steal it from Spain anyway?

Besides, the people there want to remain under the British.
    No they didnt the falklands was inhabited before argentina became a country

There flimsy claim comes from some failed penal colony where the inmates rebelled and killed the commander then the british took control this was before the United provinces became argentina and before that the islands discovery has been contested by the dutch british french and spainish
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2013-01-04 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Gibraltar is not in Spain, it's in the Iberian Peninsula. The Bourbons ceded Gibraltar in order to become Kings of Spain.