Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Talk about nostalgia goggles. We live in the apex of human progress and development, and the OP is what, sick and tired of the convenient of computers, the internet, the entertainment, the transportation networks, the modern medicine, the peace and security of not dying in the trenches of WW1?
    OK, but besides all that, what have the romans ever done for us?
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Ask woman, black people or different minorities.
    Yes, because I condone slavery.

What did I say?

I said the freedom people had in the 19th century was something to be jealous of.

Not that I want to reverse women's suffrage or own black people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smallpox was fun in the 19th century, as was the life expectancy of around 55 years old.

Deleted
    In case of the United States: "...if you were a white male."
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there are so many other things we didnt have in 1880 too....like civil rights for minorities.
    I am pretty sure if you read the post correctly you would have read the part that stated " The only thing I would like to keep from today would be the abolishment of slavery, eradication of racism and equal rights for all ". Pretty sure the reasons for such radical changes was the population growth, no doubt caused by the lack of the above things you mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are so many other things we didnt have in 1880 too....like civil rights for minorities.
    I did mention at the beginning of my post I would like to keep those civil rights

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk about nostalgia goggles. We live in the apex of human progress and development, and the OP is what, sick and tired of the convenient of computers, the internet, the entertainment, the transportation networks, the modern medicine, the peace and security of not dying in the trenches of WW1?

Weren't you just posting like four hours ago? o.O
    Or were you up that early :O
    you mean the front lines of the franco-prussian war? wouldn't that have been closer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Weren't you just posting like four hours ago? o.O
    Or were you up that early :O
    When I first got up and was enjoying my cocoa, hehe. Then I went for a run and read for a while. I also usually wake up at 7:00 or 8:00, even on weekends.

But ya, this perspective of the 1880's being so good is essentially facetious. You could say that it was better, if you are a business owner. But considering that the basic rights of workers back then was absolutely laughable at the time, that isn't saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    He's not sick of modern trappings such as computers. He's sick of the government. It's a political post.
    I know, but it's still ridiculous to say that "today's world sucks except for all of these things that we didn't have back then". It's a completely different era and he wants to adopt (a highly romanticised view) the government from that period while acting as though the rest of his life would be the same. Yeah good luck with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidfish View Post
    I am pretty sure if you read the post correctly you would have read the part that stated " The only thing I would like to keep from today would be the abolishment of slavery, eradication of racism and equal rights for all ". Pretty sure the reasons for such radical changes was the population growth, no doubt caused by the lack of the above things you mentioned.
    except that would change history. history says those things DID NOT EXIST in 1880.

you mean the front lines of the franco-prussian war? wouldn't that have been closer?
    Well that was in 1871, before the 1880s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was in 1871, before the 1880s.
    still closer than wwI which was 1914. okay how about the frontlines of the sino-french war?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-01-05 at 05:54 PM.

No internet, no highways, no planes, no televisions, no video games, no microwaves, no air conditioning, no cell phones, most areas didn't have plumbing yet. Not the life for me.

Reading this on an iphone while watching Netflix and drinking coffee from a coffee machine hell no all the quality of live stuff i would never ever want to miss again.

Sure there are things that where nice in 1880 but the point that you even post in this forum more or less means you would never ever have wanted to live in this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, if I could live in 1880, I would need to survive long enough to test out if Westwood lied about alternate timelines to us!

Deleted
    Well, I'm all for small government but some of these things just wouldnt work in 2013 because theres at least 10 times more people than there were in the 19th century.

If everyone could buy guns and shoot animals, there wouldnt be any animals left in a year.. same with building. Im pretty sure you needed a permit to build something in big cities even back then. Even in ancient rome you couldnt just build whatever you wanted and building higher than 2 floors were forbidden.

Otherwise, you can still do most of the things the old fashioned way. Use cash if you dont want to be tracked etc..

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    no thanks

i kinda like dating girls that would not be approved of back then with out either of us being killed
    Oh my.

Oh myyyy...

Also, there is one very simple thing I appreciate nowadays... the amazingly quick communication we have, such as internet forums like this one!

I LOVE YOU MMO-CHAMPION.COM!!! <3 My post count should be proof enough...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, if I could live in 1880, I would need to survive long enough to test out if Westwood lied about alternate timelines to us!
    well you need to live to at least 133.

10+ Year Old Account
    well you need to live to at least 133.
    Goddamit... stop crushing my dreams

I know, but it's still ridiculous to say that "today's world sucks except for all of these things that we didn't have back then". It's a completely different era and he wants to adopt (a highly romanticised view) the government from that period while acting as though the rest of his life would be the same. Yeah good luck with that.
    He's not wrong about the bureaucracy. The high taxes ("Being lower than the rest of the world" does not mean we have low taxes.), requirement for permits to do things on our own land, paying taxes on things we supposedly own.

He's not wrong in any of it.

The only century-old standby I genuinely wish would make a serious comeback is the idea that there is never NOT a time that warrants putting on good clothes. I take every single excuse I can ever get to wear suits, sport coats, tuxes, anything 'nice.' In fact, just about the only time I -don't- wear at least something generally considered 'formal' by most folks is when I'm just swinging by the grocery store or some fast food...