Thread: PC Temps

Deleted

PC Temps

So I've just moved back into my uni house for the start of the new year and as its a student house, the heating is hardly on. This means the ambient temperature is cold to say the least.

The thing I was curious about is, can low temps actually damage pc parts? I realise that you can get condensation forming etc but I doubt thats going to happen in my room. My CPU is currently sat idle at around 8-20 degrees C across the 4 cores, is that a problem? My GPU is sitting at around 14 degrees and my HDDS at like 11-12.

I was planning on messing about with my overclock anyway so the low temps might actually allow me to reach a higher clock speed, but anyway.

Is there anything I should worry about?

That sounds like incredibly low temperatures and most likely not healthy to live in as a human being. For the hardware it shouldn't be a problem.
    What are you ambient temperature? Like 1-2 degrees Celsius?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    That sounds like incredibly low temperatures and most likely not healthy to live in as a human being. For the hardware it shouldn't be a problem.
    What are you ambient temperature? Like 1-2 degrees Celsius?
    Haha nah it's probably more than that, I don't have anything to monitor it though. Noones been living in the house over christmas so the heating hasn't been turned on, it should heat up later on when the heating turns up but yeah it is very cold. The life of a poor student!

As long as the hardware is fine I'm happy, I'll manage physically :P Tbh though, it is starting to snow outside so it is probably slightly colder than usual.

Deleted
    Your hardware will have no problem functioning from 0 to 60-70 degrees Celsius. It's the humidity you have to worry about. Cold air can hold less water, so be be careful not to let your room/place to get too much moisture in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    Your hardware will have no problem functioning from 0 to 60-70 degrees Celsius. It's the humidity you have to worry about. Cold air can hold less water, so be be careful not to let your room/place to get too much moisture in it.
    I thought as much. But yeah I hear what you're saying, but my room is generally pretty cold and the humidity here isn't high at all (I live in Manchester, not the most humid of areas )

Yeah, on LN02 the core clock can easily be -45*c and still operate fine (I haven't looked into LN02 but remember that number from an OC!)
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    You can buy an electrical heater for like 50 bucks online And I wasn't talking about tropical rainforest-humid, more like old-house-cold-cellar humid. Aside from damaging computer components, low temperatures/humid air can damage walls, furniture and other things, too.

Your PC is probably fine. I store my work laptop in the trunk of my car (we've had various nights of like -30C around here) and its still going strong these past 4 or so years Mind you, I have to let it warm up for ~15mins some mornings before it'll turn on though. However, like others have said, keep an eye on the humidity. If you see condensation on your windows, than your room is too humid.