15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    How does telling someone to find a better job equal me being better than them? The same thing can be applied to lots of people who complain about their job. Maybe they bitch about having to drive during rush hour, or having to deal with children or whatever else. If you are unhappy with your situation, don't complain about what other people aren't giving you, improve your own situation.
    Actually OP wasn't really complaining just pointing out how shitty some people can be.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Tinykong where is the validity in $2/hour?
    Employees who don't work for enterprise businesses (more than 2 employees and more than $500k/yr of total sales) whose job functions don't relate to interstate commerce are not covered by the FLSA.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/scope/screen10.asp

$500k a year for a restaurant isn't that much, it's roughly $10k a week in sales. If a business isn't making that much, they probably aren't doing very well or are a small operation that probably already pays their staff more than minimum wage in the first place.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zace View Post
    Actually OP wasn't really complaining just pointing out how shitty some people can be.
    How is pointing out he didn't get a tip not complaining, the title of the thread even calls it bs.

And that's been the rub for a good part of this entire thread. people are complaining about on tiny aspect of their job...like EVERYONE does, followed by dozens of people telling them to find a better job. For the skill involved, and the money to be made there is no better job. A complaint, or frustration over one customer in no way implies dissatisfaction with the occupation as a whole.

I think I've pointed that out, in detail, several times.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Employees who don't work for enterprise businesses (more than 2 employees and more than $500k/yr of total sales) whose job functions don't relate to interstate commerce are not covered by the FLSA.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/scope/screen10.asp

$500k a year for a restaurant isn't that much, it's roughly $10k a week in sales. If a business isn't making that much, they probably aren't doing very well or are a small operation that probably already pays their staff more than minimum wage in the first place.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:22 PM ----------

How is pointing out he didn't get a tip not complaining, the title of the thread even calls it bs.
    Ordering $1300 worth of pizza and not tipping even a single dollar is actually BS. Think how you'd feel in the same situation if you had to deliver that many fucking pizzas and not even get a single dollar tip.

Ordering $1300 worth of pizza and not tipping even a single dollar is actually BS. Think how you'd feel in the same situation if you had to deliver that many fucking pizzas and not even get a single dollar tip.
    it's shitty for the driver, but it in no way implies the customer who ordered is a bad human being. Not getting tips is part of the job. I can safely assure you that OP got over it.

Furthermore, I doubt this one customer ruined OP's week. If it did then he does need to reevaluate his job choice...but I strenuously doubt it did.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    it's shitty for the driver, but it in no way implies the customer who ordered is a bad human being. Not getting tips is part of the job. I can safely assure you that OP got over it.
    Exactly, but trying to argue that his frustration wasn't warranted is just dumb.

Exactly, but trying to argue that his frustration wasn't warranted is just dumb.
    Agreed as well. That goes back to the disconect I pointed out a couple of posts ago.

I challenge anyone to tell me honestly that they are never frustrated at work...however much they love or value their job.

I deal with stressful days at work all the time, and I don't get tipped by anyone. I'm sorry that it was a lot of work, but he's paid by the hour and complaining about not getting a tip really stinks of entitlement.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:34 PM ----------

Until someone can explain to me why someone who performs unskilled labor should be earning more than what the government/industry/his employer defines as acceptable income, I won't ever be able to agree with the other side of this argument. Sure, I want everyone to live a comfortable life and be happy. Unfortunately, some people are going to get stuck (perhaps through no fault of their own) doing shit jobs for shit pay. I've done it, as have a lot of other people. The only way they are going to improve their situation is by doing something about it themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    I deal with stressful days at work all the time, and I don't get tipped by anyone. I'm sorry that it was a lot of work, but he's paid by the hour and complaining about not getting a tip really stinks of entitlement.
    I don't understand your logic of comparing your job (whatever you do that's obviously not a delivery man) to someone who works for tips.

No, it stinks of being frustrated. i think if OP made a bigger fuss about it, like refusing to take their business, or defiling their food, then that would be entitlement. Hell, maybe he DID do those things.

I don't understand your logic of comparing your job (whatever you do that's obviously not a delivery man) to someone who works for tips.

He doesn't "work for tips." As already explained countless times, he is going to be earning minimum wage with or without tips, unless he isn't covered by the FLSA, in which case I sympathize with the situation but my reply remains the same. I really don't see why the ability to drive a car and move boxes should earn more than minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Evidently people dont understand why we have tipping. People who dont tip are scummy. Ill make an exception for students and such, but tip your servers, they live off tips.
    The reason people live off of tips is because employers made it so. They pay servers less because they are expecting a substantial amount of payment through tips. When my sister worked at Buffalo Wild Wings, they did it in a way that you got paid below minimum wage (don't recall the exact amount), but then you claimed your tips as well. If your tips did not make up for the lesser wages, they paid you the difference. Basically, you were guaranteed to make minimum wage (and, really, you always made well above it, as my sister would get $100+ in tips on some dinner shifts on the weekends).

So, at least in that case, you don't ACTUALLY live off of tips. You get your minimum wage regardless, but the chance at tips gives you greater earning POTENTIAL. I'll say this: When I worked at Steak 'n' Shake, I only once or twice was given any tips for bussing tables for the servers. It was my first job, so I did not even know that tipping a busser was common practice (meaning I never left a cup for the servers or anything). It wasn't until I had done it several times that I found out about it, and it didn't even bother me. Why? I took the job expecting minimum wage and was being paid that. After I found out bussers usually get a few bucks from servers for the work, I still never once put out a cup (one of the servers did it for me once), because I did not feel like I was doing anything deserving of a tip.

Servers are hired at minimum wage to do a job--serve food. If they're getting paid via tips for that, then they're basically getting two wages for their job, because they're getting paid by the customers via tips AND the company. When I held that job, I did several different things--cooked food, make milkshakes, dishes, cash register, stocked food (once had to spend about half an hour in a freezer that was never once above -40 degrees Fahrenheit stocking food), cleaned up things that I was in no way responsible for (like cleaning out the massive chili pot the servers or someone else would make the chili in), swept the parking lot, and whatever the heck else I was asked to do.

In the year-plus I was there, I was tipped that one time, and it wasn't without my knowledge or asking. I'll tip because I know it's polite and that society now looks down on people who don't tip, but servers have one job, while at many places, the other workers get no tips and are expected to do multiple jobs (or at least be capable of doing so). I did almost everything BUT serve in my time there, and I wasn't paid as well as the one-talent servers (though I fully admit that their one job required more strenuous work than any one thing I had to do on a given night).

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:40 PM ----------

He doesn't "work for tips." As already explained countless times, he is going to be earning minimum wage with or without tips, unless he isn't covered by the FLSA, in which case I sympathize with the situation but my reply remains the same. I really don't see why the ability to drive a car and move boxes should earn more than minimum wage.
    I agree, but with being a delivery person, it's a little different. Your work doing deliveries should be considered a work expense that you are compensated for (tips cover that usually, not sure how it's treated otherwise). A delivery person will get paid minimum wage for that work, but then have to put gas in his car to do his job, plus the mileage on his car will be significantly raised doing that job, devaluing his car if he decides to trade it in. Because of those two costs, if a delivery person is not being compensated for deliveries, he's really not making minimum wage.

General travel to and from work is not the same as having a job that IS driving to and from work.

Delivery men in my job don't get tips.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said before the job is usually for people who need the money and can't find better work, I don't see why you consider it such a big problem to help someone out when they need it. Especially when we're talking about a couple dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehealbus View Post
    They don't owe you anything, customers shouldn't be paying for your wage, your employer should.
    I'm sorry. and I'm sure this has come up again and again in this thread but...

Like I said before the job is usually for people who need the money and can't find better work, I don't see why you consider it such a big problem to help someone out when they need it. Especially when we're talking about a couple dollars.
    Well, I'm sorry people can't find better work, but why is that everyone else's problem? I get the sympathy angle, and if you want to tip, go right ahead that's awesome. I'm not going to tip someone for doing the job for which they are already employed, unless they provide me with some sort of service beyond what is expected. He was paid to drive the pizzas to the customer, if they didn't feel he earned a tip, so be it.

The customary 10-18% tip on a $1300 tab could range from $130-$230. That's not "a couple of bucks." I'm pretty sure if they gave him a $5 bill, he probably still would have complained, the trend of tip shaming going on certainly would agree.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    I agree, but with being a delivery person, it's a little different. Your work doing deliveries should be considered a work expense that you are compensated for (tips cover that usually, not sure how it's treated otherwise). A delivery person will get paid minimum wage for that work, but then have to put gas in his car to do his job, plus the mileage on his car will be significantly raised doing that job, devaluing his car if he decides to trade it in. Because of those two costs, if a delivery person is not being compensated for deliveries, he's really not making minimum wage.

General travel to and from work is not the same as having a job that IS driving to and from work.
    If his employer isn't covering his expenses, quit.

Its not the customers obligation to ensure their employer is treating them fairly. Lots of places tack on a $2.50 delivery fee, if that isn't going to cover the cost of delivery (gas, insurance, mileage, etc.) then what is it for?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm sorry people can't find better work, but why is that everyone else's problem? I get the sympathy angle, and if you want to tip, go right ahead that's awesome. I'm not going to tip someone for doing the job for which they are already employed, unless they provide me with some sort of service beyond what is expected. He was paid to drive the pizzas to the customer, if they didn't feel he earned a tip, so be it.

The customary 10-18% tip on a $1300 tab could range from $130-$230. That's not "a couple of bucks." I'm pretty sure if they gave him a $5 bill, he probably still would have complained, the trend of tip shaming going on certainly would agree.
    I'm quite confident if he got $5 this thread wouldn't exist. Also deliveries for things like pizza aren't tipped for by % like in a restaurant.

I'm quite confident if he got $5 this thread wouldn't exist. Also deliveries for things like pizza aren't tipped for by % like in a restaurant.
    As a delivery driver I really don't used a percentage to determine whether a tip is good or not.

I'm quite confident if he got $5 this thread wouldn't exist.

Really? Because I've seen hundreds of tip shame photos of people complaining about getting less than 10%. Sure, it's possible this thread wouldn't be here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

http://tipshaming.tumblr.com/

That's just one, there are other communities/blogs with absolutely vitriolic comments and complaints about people leaving small tips or no tips.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really? Because I've seen hundreds of tip shame photos of people complaining about getting less than 10%. Sure, it's possible this thread wouldn't be here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

http://tipshaming.tumblr.com/

That's just one, there are other communities/blogs with absolutely vitriolic comments and complaints about people leaving small tips or no tips.
    We're talking about the OP's post here, not random people on the internet posting on tumblr. And seriously you waste your time looking at stuff like that?