Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Most people don't seem to realize that new models are, effectively, brand new races in terms of character creation, not just a new skin like the frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    So have them do twice the amount of work. I am sure adding the skins for the new skeletons would not look right on the old models. SO they would have to make all new skins to tide people over. That makes sense.
    Seeing as that is what everything is in the first place, it makes perfect sense. Hell, most new humanoid models in the game are still using the same skeleton for the Night Elves or Draenei, depending if they have a huge butt or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasconcellos View Post
    Most people don't seem to realize that new models are, effectively, brand new races in terms of character creation, not just a new skin like the frog.
    The frog didn't get a new skin. It got a new frog. Model, skin... Everything.
    It's just that even the new frog is relatively low poly. More recent technology lets you 'fake' rounded shapes, which saves up a lot of polies. Nevertheless, the frog díd receive a new model.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    tbh, when you've played an orc that hunches like a peon for 8 years, you don't want to be told the updated models will look the same as the old.
    The new male troll NPC model isn't hunched, so there is hope.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Simple solution. Play in first person. That way you don't have to look at your ugly orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    The new male troll NPC model isn't hunched, so there is hope.
    thats cause it uses a male nightelf skeleton with some unique animations

To all the new people whining over Blizzards decision to update the Frog model instead of player models: Are you serious?

Do you really think that because one tiny model was updated and had its textured revamped, our player models suddenly got delayed/halted? They don't have a single person working on stuff like this, but rather an entire dedicated team. They've said it time and time again, player models is not just "updating models" but making sure they do it right. If they mess them up, there could be a huge outlash. Sure they could go with GC's thought on "toggling old models" but their not going to use that toggle as a means to rush these models.

We're getting our models, sooner or later. The 3d modellers have quite a bit on their plate at the moment and Blizzard even has "3d character artist" on their hiring boards. Want your models faster? Fill up their Roster then. Otherwise, stop using every single datamined model as a means to complain and whine more about how they don't care about our models and would rather Frogs look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, I can only see the hair/hooves on my Tauren given that the rest of him is basically covered in armour. That said, it does look really dated. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me that much, when I look at my char I look more at the armour he is wearing then everything else really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    thats cause it uses a male nightelf skeleton with some unique animations
    This. They've taken the basic Night Elf Skeleton and have done some tweaks and modifications on the animations, but for the most part its the Night Elf Skeleton.

All these new Trolls we're seeing aren't going to be what the player models look like. In terms of detail and smoothness, yes they will. But the models (the Female one, the Zul'Farak and Forest Troll, etc) are remodels on top of the current existing Troll skeleton. They still have clipping issues, they still have choppy Monk moves. They're the same Trolls you play but with updated Textures. It was likely a lot of work to do something like that and instead of halt their operations on player models, update all textures and give those to us, they're in the process of updating models entirely (not just textures)

This?

This is why I play Worgen.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

I'll be really happy if and when they make it so my Orc isn't so hunched over. I want him to stand tall and proud like Thrall's new model.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can just imagine SO many people disliking remakes. And I'm not talking about now that they aren't made yet, I'm talking once they are made.

"Oh my god, orcs looked so much more bad-ass before!"
    "Oh my, human females were sexier before!"
    "The new gnome model sucks, they look very short!"

And yes, I know those people are idiots but I think Blizzard would rather try and bring !NEW! stuff than remake the old ones, to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lustinus View Post
    I can just imagine SO many people disliking remakes. And I'm not talking about now that they aren't made yet, I'm talking once they are made.

"Oh my god, orcs looked so much more bad-ass before!"
    "Oh my, human females were sexier before!"
    "The new gnome model sucks, they look very short!"

And yes, I know those people are idiots but I think Blizzard would rather try and bring !NEW! stuff than remake the old ones, to please everyone.

Last I knew, they were planning on allowing people to choose between the old and new models to solve this problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    We know they're redoing the classic player models. It's a lot of work, however. Two models for each race, for a total of 16 models, 20 if they do draenei and blood elves too, and each has hundreds of animations, dozens of geosets, numerous textures...

It's not really fair to say, "They created this small frog model! They should prioritize better!"

That frog model probably took about as much time to create as the right hand of a character model. Like, think of that in man hour terms. If it took the rigger and modeler and texture artist, I don't know 60 hours total to make just that frog, how much time do you think it'll take to redo all 20 player models, which are far, far more complicated?

I say wait for them to get done. If it's a launch feature with patch 6.0, that's fine for me. I don't need it right this instant.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-01-21 at 05:59 AM.

They're working on it, just quit complaining and be patient. You'll probably spend all your time on the forums complaining that you don't like them once they finally come out anyway.

I mean hell, look at that thread full of people who hate the female worgen skin... it's like a billion pages long...

You make a solid point, look at this:

A freaking toad got an updated model, that looks better then a vanilla playable race model.

Hozen, Mantid, even the texturing of mogu and yaungol look better then anything we get to play.
    I think it takes sliiiiiiiiightly less effort for them to design a new frog model than to re-do all the player models.

Thank god they did though. Those old frogs are like 4 traffic cones stapled together.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Last I knew, they were planning on allowing people to choose between the old and new models to solve this problem.
    They never said that, it's just feverish speculation on the part of the player base. We won't find that out until the models are released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

They updated a frog model, which looks now better then vanilla character models. Think about it. They didn't need to, they just did.
    You seriously believe the amount of work it takes to update something thats supposed to be like 6 inches tall to something that's seven or eight feet is the same?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    You seriously believe the amount of work it takes to update something thats supposed to be like 6 inches tall to something that's seven or eight feet is the same?
    Exactly.

"This guy built a model airplane! What a waste of time! He could've just as easily built a real airplane!"

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    yeah right,cheap and bullshit apologist argument,if your character model is done good it doesnt matter if it looks completely different,cause it will be good,besides the whole point is to actually change stuff...
    also if you're worried about blizzard making something worse then we currently have,well don't worry your standards are low,I doubt they'd manage to screw up the human model,this model is so horrible I'm quite shocked it toke blizz what 7 years to think about texture updates,like really...they'd have to do it on purpose
    Yeah you say this shit now but you wait until they unhunch the Orcs... or leave them hunched... either way the player base will be sundered down the middle. And what if they change the way those hideous bones work on undead models? Or worse yet, don't?

Easy to say something will be uncontroversial when you haven't seen it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The problem with redoing character models is that they need to still look the same to the people who are just fine with the status quo, yet they need to be new and attractive to the people wanting them to be updated. There's no easy way to do it so that everyone is pleased with the end result. I for one would hate for my main to suddenly look completely different, no matter how many extra polygons would have been added over night.
    Easy way to do it ... allow people to choose the older models as well as the new models ... don't eliminate the old ones. Possibly a free character customization thrown in at remodel launch so people can choose. BAM! everyone is happy.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    wow, you run into some really big frogs in your area!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Updating a frog model vs. a new skeleton, new animations, new facial expressions, the higher bone count in the new models, and multiply that by 16 models (18 if they do BE/Dranei after Classic races). Take a guess why they will take longer to finish.

We aren't getting just a new skin with higher polygon count and texture resolution. They're giving up the whole package pandaren got.
    + adjusting eventual graphical errors for the old equipment? :3