Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Evolve Announcement Might Be Coming Soon

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evo.../1100-6441535/
    Update: Evolve is no longer available for sale through Steam. This might be an error, or it could be an indication that the game is perhaps going free-to-play. We'll keep an eye on the situation and report back with any further developments as the countdown approaches zero.
    Original Story: The website for monster-hunting game Evolve has been updated with a countdown clock that suggests some kind of reveal will take place this week. In addition to the countdown clock, there is the hashtag #StageUp, but it's unclear what that means.

Developer Turtle Rock also retweeted a tweet from Twitch streamer Robert Paz that mentioned the countdown clock (via Game Informer). What connection he may have to the game or this announcement is unknown.
    Evolve launched in February 2015 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It has shipped more than 2.5 million copies and is now described by Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick as a "permanent" and "long-term" franchise. Others series that Zelnick has previously referred to as "permanent" include heavyweights like Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, Civilization, and Borderlands.

If there is a sequel to Evolve in the works, it might not be as multiplayer-centric as the first game, Zelnick previously teased. Take-Two paid nearly $11 million to buy the Evolve franchise from THQ during its bankruptcy auction.

Turtle Rock, which also created the Left 4 Dead series, is now hiring for an unannounced new IP that is described as "cutting edge" that features "unique and stunning characters." Nothing at all has tied the countdown clock to this game.

We'll keep our eye on the countdown clock and let you know what the reveal is later this week.
    Putting my money on it going f2p. If it go's f2p I may try it again but I was so burned when I bought it for $60 original. Traded it in 2 days later.

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-07-07 at 12:00 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Besides mobile, Free to Play gaming is the scourge of the gaming world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought this game flopped completely, might try it if it goes F2P though.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I'm not entirely sure even what game Evolve is, but I think I know the game (as in seen some news about it and watched a few videos). Wasn't this game AAA expensive game that had P2W elements in it? Unlockable weapons? Classes? Monster types?

Seriously... games like Overwatch went wint AAA prince tag on it as a multiplayer fps shooter and that was pretty close whether I'd buy it. This game tried that with barely anyone knowing about the game (pulling this from my ass, but I do try to keep eye on interesting games and rarely miss any relevant ones) and then tried extort more money with paid unlocks. Can't go right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Besides mobile, Free to Play gaming is the scourge of the gaming world.
    I disagree but different strokes I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I'm not entirely sure even what game Evolve is, but I think I know the game (as in seen some news about it and watched a few videos). Wasn't this game AAA expensive game that had P2W elements in it? Unlockable weapons? Classes? Monster types?

Seriously... games like Overwatch went wint AAA prince tag on it as a multiplayer fps shooter and that was pretty close whether I'd buy it. This game tried that with barely anyone knowing about the game (pulling this from my ass, but I do try to keep eye on interesting games and rarely miss any relevant ones) and then tried extort more money with paid unlocks. Can't go right.
    Added a trailer to the OP.

Its made by the guys who did L4D. Its a 4v1 pvp game. I wouldn't call it P2w but ya new monsters and classes was locked behind the season pass'es and yes there was two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    I thought this game flopped completely, might try it if it goes F2P though.
    Its still around just with a super small playerbase. They re-released it with all content as one package on console (Not sure about PC).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game flopped hard and it deserved it. I don't know why all the game news outlets rated it so high. The whole situation with this game leading up to the launch was pretty ridiculous.

Well, depending on how they overhaul the team play I'm interested in giving it a go. Still not hot on the asymmetrical 1v4 gameplay as a concept (Though it is interesting), but I'll give it a try at some point.

The game needed F2P for a while it's a fun enough game but, very niche and so it needs to reach a very wide audience to build and maintain a large community.

I thought the game was, very pretty graphically pretty dark though, it was super fun to play as the lizard monster, playing as hunters was much more fun if you had people you knew.

The community is kinda dead this is the end solution to get more people it should've happened months ago.

I liked the idea but never tried it. Isometric pvp tends to never work well but I'd give it a go if it went f2p.

Deleted
    The game suffered from.... how would you call it... "poor gameflow"?

Early on - maybe they fixed it - you *had* to kill the monster in it's early stages, or it was impossible to win.
    The game never had a 50/50 situation, it was always either a 90/10 or 10/90 chance of winning.
    The monster hunt by itself was boring too. Running around for 10-15 minutes, is not something you can consider fun gameplay.

Add to that a really fucked up DLC model and yeah ...well, most people lost interest in it before it realeased.

They should've made it so that (since it's a 4v1) hunters need to splitt up early on (by doing side objectives like activating generators). Which gives the Monster the opportunity to fight them 2v1 or not at all and grow.... I don't know, something like that basically.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-07 at 08:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually played it quite a bit (think I managed two elite skins before I quit) and it took them way too long to fix the monster that could tele and leave decoys (can't remember the name) but you could never catch it if you really wanted to (even in a dome it was a pain).

It was terrible, you knew exactly what was going to happen; you'd spend 10 minutes chasing something you couldn't catch, only to fall back to power station at stage three, then get trashed in seconds.

I loved the game when everyone was new to it, it was exciting to chase, but once everyone figured shot out it got boring
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    F2P confirmed, start is - today. That was quick. Will actually give this a try, but I doubt that I'll play this with "randoms". I remember that the lobby system was horrible and it took ages for games to start.

So whenever I can gather 5 (or 4+me) people, I'll give it a try.

This game always sounded like a game that ought to be subscribing to the F2P model.

As far as someone saying F2P is the scourge of the industry - nah. I think F2P works well for multiplayer titles and buy-to-play works well for single player titles. The problem is once you start mixing and matching, like Overwatch having a box-price for a game with no campaign and still being structured like a F2P title with microtransactions. That shit is the real cancer and will metastasize into the entry industry after people gave Blizzard a pass just because Overwatch wasn't bad.

Well its certainly had the microtransactions for it since launch. Though i dont know why anyone would trust the 2015 gaming blunder of a year that totalled at something like $300 to unlock all the on disc content with a f2p system.

People are always quick to hear 'free to play' and jump on something and forget why games like this get into these dire straights to begin with.

Frankly i'd rather play Umbrella Corps and thats saying something. At least then the shitty game with triple digit playerbase gives you the game and not 6 more games cost in dlc and that was when this was buy to play, i cannot imagine what greasy shit they will do now.

Actually yes i can, they will give you free hunters that are weak and you get strong ones by paying cash. I can absolutely see them doing that.

People are always quick to hear 'free to play' and jump on something and forget why games like this get into these dire straights to begin with.
    Because if it's free, it doesn't cost me anything to play, and if I fall in love, then I don't have a problem spending money (generally speaking). That's why F2P works.

That said, wasn't a big part of Evolve getting into dire straight in the first place the payment model? A lot of people like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling panned the game largely because of "Fee-to-Pay" (and they're critical of Overwatch for that same reason).

Deleted
    Not sure what you are trying to say here, if it's F2P I can clearly see for myself whether I can enjoy a game or not if I was on the fence before. I don't lose anything, most likely not even the time I played it because most games are actually very fun and get boring later on.
    You don't really "jump on something" at all, you don't commit yourself to playing it because you paid X for the game and Y for the DLC/subscription or anything like that.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-07 at 03:31 PM.

Well seems PC version is going f2p but no word on consoles.

Depending how they balance it out I may enjoy it finally. It will be f2p so ill give it a go.

I like the concept but the delivery was piss poor on top of the shitty micro sells.

Go home f2p. Nobody wants you here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Because if it's free, it doesn't cost me anything to play, and if I fall in love, then I don't have a problem spending money (generally speaking). That's why F2P works.

That said, wasn't a big part of Evolve getting into dire straight in the first place the payment model? A lot of people like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling panned the game largely because of "Fee-to-Pay" (and they're critical of Overwatch for that same reason).
    F2P doesn't work though, not for players (it might work for devs/investors). It's the absolute worst payment model for gaming. Game design will ALWAYS be influenced by the cash shop, tainting the entire experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    F2P doesn't work though, not for players (it might work for devs/investors). It's the absolute worst payment model for gaming. Game design will ALWAYS be influenced by the cash shop, tainting the entire experience.
    This is a opinion not a fact. There is MANY f2p games that is great for players. Just because a few games have done it bad doesn't mean they all do.

DOTA2 is a f2p title and yet all its content is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    You can argue game design is "tainted" for a lot of different forms of payment models. Buy-to-play games incentivize front-loading their content, minimal replay-ability, all in the pursuit of high review scores (blow their load in the 20 hours or less that reviewers will actually give attention to a game) which don't always agree with general interest in gaming, since higher review scores lead to higher profitability in general. Multiplayer season passes or subscription models are also "tainted" as well, the games are designed in order to string out your interest in the game so that you're more likely to be retained and drop money on new season pass releases or keep renewing your subscription. So on and so forth.