Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why isn't Eminem the definition of the American Dream? :<

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    People still believe in some sort of 'American Dream'? o.O

OT: Personally, I wouldn't want to be famous - you have zero privacy.
    terrence malick

I've never dreamt of being a rapper.

I guess being rich would be allright though.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I Never dreamt of making ,arguably, shit music.

Being a professional athlete, ice hockey or football would be fucking amazing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The American Dream is to be big, ugly, overrated gf and rich?

For starters, American Dream? Have we travelled back in time? At least he has the rich part correct.

Deleted
    When OP means American Dream, he doesn't mean that everyone's dream is to become Jay-Z. Rather that Jay-Z managed to achieve the American dream that was available to him.

He rose from the bottom to the top his own way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so?

Doesn't mean his music doesn't suck. Just means he was good at making money with it.
    Putin khuliyo

Somehow this generation was brainwashed into thinking they are somehow special and they can all be "artists" and crap. I fail to understand why you would hold Jay-Z to be the American dream and not rather the President? Or Warren Buffet? Or Bill Gates? Or even Steve Jobs (altought I hate the man and his company I will accept that he was a shrewd buisnessman)?

Or why dont you consider Neil deGrasse Tyson a representation of the American Dream? It one of your nations proeminent scientists who was raised in the Bronx and was the offspring of family of college educated african americans who achieved all that during the 40's and 50's when shit was really rough.

I really hate the value our society has grown to place on flash over substance. I'm not here to dismiss Jayz or Beyonce. But there are a great many living Americans who achieved more and really contributed a shit load more to your country and the world then Jayz with a couple of albums and a few fashion lines.

But in our world is all about flash over substance. That is why we are so fucking hopeless. Or values are all over the place. I can bet there are video game designers out there who contributed more to the world trough developing a novel way of programming or coding that was a technological frogleap for the IT industry then Jayz can ever contribute in his life. But he has the bling bling.

You can say whatever you want, you can hate how much you want

but as long as you strive for success and money, you have to admit that this guy made it. He's rich, looks good, got style, his wife is freaking Beyonce, he's famous and he enjoys his life.

And he was a nobody at the beginning.

That is quite impressive... no matter if you would like to live his life or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Somehow this generation was brainwashed into thinking they are somehow special and they can all be "artists" and crap. I fail to understand why you would hold Jay-Z to be the American dream and not rather the President? Or Warren Buffet? Or Bill Gates? Or even Steve Jobs (altought I hate the man and his company I will accept that he was a shrewd buisnessman)?
    to my knowledge, all of those men except Steve Jobs were rich, and than became super rich. None of them were poor, though Steve was adopted which makes his story also the dream.

Or why dont you consider Neil deGrasse Tyson a representation of the American Dream? It one of your nations proeminent scientists who was raised in the Bronx and was the offspring of family of college educated african americans who achieved all that during the 40's and 50's when shit was really rough.
    The definition of the dream, is you start with nothing, and achieve a lot. If you start with college educated parents, and become very smart, that isn't as big of a spread as someone going from projects to Jay-Z's money.

I really hate the value our society has grown to place on flash over substance. I'm not here to dismiss Jayz or Beyonce. But there are a great many living Americans who achieved more and really contributed a shit load more to your country and the world then Jayz with a couple of albums and a few fashion lines.

But in our world is all about flash over substance. That is why we are so fucking hopeless. Or values are all over the place. I can bet there are video game designers out there who contributed more to the world trough developing a novel way of programming or coding that was a technological frogleap for the IT industry then Jayz can ever contribute in his life. But he has the bling bling.
    american dream isn't about contributing most to society - that's what nobel prize is for, and Jay-Z won't get that (I think).
    if we don't believe that wealth is zero-sum game, than there will be a lot of good to the world if everyone can achieve what Jay-Z achieved in building his wealth.
    His success does not take away from other people's success.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Mhm but they aren't legal...

And drugs shouldn't be legal with socialized healthcare in place. I don't particularly like footing a junkies medical bill with my taxes.
    Well, if that's the case, let's start making anything that can lead to a problem illegal. No more soda, beer, cigarettes, cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. Because why should we all have to foot the bill for anyone who can't use those things in moderation? Your taxes and your socialized healthcare are going to be footing their medical bill whether those drugs are legal or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    I Never dreamt of making ,arguably, shit music.
    Even though it wasn't your type of music, If you somehow had talent for making the music he does wouldn't you just do it anyway for the benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    In many ways stealing is a fuck sight worse. Drug dealing is only a serious crime because we are told it is. Stealing is one of the "golden oldies". I'm very surprised by your logic here.

What if he is selling drugs to survive? Most drug dealers aren't into it make big bucks, *most* don't really want to be 'in it' at all. they do it to make enough money to live.
    "I only stole 2 cars, so i could pay the rent" Sorry but crime is crime and at no point is there a good crime, hints the word and idea of it being a crime.
    If what it takes to be a shining example of the "American Dream" is a dealer that manages to amass a fortune by singing or proclaiming it to the world, then i feel sorry for the little guy that decided it was not only morally wrong but just and out and out stupid thing to do.

Deleted
    American dream? Whenever I hear that I think of:

Whos Jay-Z?

The man or the women?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moarfail View Post
    This! I just want to be a secret billionaire quietly plotting the end of the world while forever expanding my huge underground bunker system... wait what.
    Thats the Russian/Chinese dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay-Z worked his ass off to get where he is, his fortune doesnt come from music alone. If you read up on the guy, you will find out hes a pretty savvy ol` SoB. I find it odd that hes a democrat, but whatever.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 09:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by serravenger View Post
    "I only stole 2 cars, so i could pay the rent" Sorry but crime is crime and at no point is there a good crime, hints the word and idea of it being a crime.
    If what it takes to be a shining example of the "American Dream" is a dealer that manages to amass a fortune by singing or proclaiming it to the world, then i feel sorry for the little guy that decided it was not only morally wrong but just and out and out stupid thing to do.
    Remember bud, rap music is like TV. If the singer/rapper says he sold a kilo of Cocaine, its code for, "I sold a dime of marijuana for a friend one time at band camp".

Because none of those men came from extreme poverty unlike Jay-Z. All those men had people to help them start out financially.

Bill Gates dad was a successful lawyer and he grew up in a pretty privileged household.

Warren Buffetts dad was a member of Congress and grew up extreme wealthy.

Steve Jobs mom was an accountant for one of the US's first high tech firms and made good money, and his dad taught him many mechanical skills and how to build electronics. Again, came from a nice middle class family.

Jay-Z on the other hand had none of that. His father walked out at a young age, and up until 25 he lived on other peoples couches and grew up in Marcy projects, one of NYC's worst slums. He didn't have family to fall back on, and unlike those other guys, couldnt take out a loan from wealthy family to take his first step. He did it all on his own.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-01-23 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    So let them front it with their taxes
    Most don't pay tax and probably never have... and while I'm paying 50% tax and despise the fact that I do, I'll stick by what I said.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Why isn't Eminem the definition of the American Dream? :<
    Because he isn't black. Unless you're black, you're not 'disadvantaged' regardless of where you start your life.

Hope this doesn't get me infracted lol, but yeah, pretty much how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Most don't pay tax and probably never have... and while I'm paying 50% tax and despise the fact that I do, I'll stick by what I said.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:55 PM ----------

Because he isn't black. Unless you're black, you're not 'disadvantaged' regardless of where you start your life.

Hope this doesn't get me infracted lol, but yeah, pretty much how it is.
    That is a pretty ignorant comment because there been loads of TV specials about Eminem and his rise to fame. Also there have been talks of other races achieving the American dream. The poster just didn't make Eminem his topic.