Poll: Are you an Organ donor?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm not a donor, but in around 15 months I'll become a sperm donor

I'm on the register, I have considered blood donation (or at least testing) but I haven't really ever acted on it. It'd be nice to do in the future.

Deleted
    I've been thinking of trying to register as a blood-donor, but I have to take some tests first I guess to see if I'm "able" to be a blood-donor. Organ-donor I haven't signed anything of yet, but when I get around to it I want to be one, maybe I'll have a few things that I don't want to donate, but if I can help someone else when I'm already dead, why shouldn't I?

Deleted
    I started donating blood at 18, mostly because I would get free day from school, free pizza and best glass of beer straight after donation.
    Now I'm 21, have 8 donation so far, and going for another one this week.

I don't mind giving away my organs after I die, even while I'm alive, as long as I wont have serious drawbacks for doing so.

Deleted
    Iam .

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't donated blood and am not sure whether I'll do that ever. My organs will be donated when I die though, as I won't have use of them anymore then anyways.

Deleted
    can't donate blood (anaemic) but i'll donate all i can to medicine and science once dead. there's no easier way to do a good deed that improves this world a little, assuming correct handling, distribution of body and organs, which we have here. i'll never understand how some people (quite a lot, oddly) wouldn't want to donate their organs. it's not like they need them once dead, and moreso in a cremated or worm-eaten state!? really this seems so irrational to me. and yes, i realise that most organs need to be extracted while the circulation is still being maintained artificially. that doesn't make someone less dead, once the brain's broken, there's no chance of recovery.
    Last edited by mmoc96e249ad29; 2013-01-23 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am, but I dont know if they want my organs lol

I started donating blood when I was 18. Long story short, after a small talk with one of the blood centers techs I was sold on the notion to help people, and to boot they gave money for it, not a lot by any means, nor the reasoning.

This is when I found out I had the rarest blood type, after the initial questionnaire regarding past drug history disease etc etc, they did a thumb prick and said I had AB-, which they found odd, meaning that less than 1% of the population has the same blood type but being Filipino is where the oddity of the blood type.

A few years past, and when my license was due for renewal, I was asked if I wanted to be an organ donor at the DMV, at first I was like many whom were not given proper information about this and denied wanting to be one... years past again, and again I was at the DMV and was asked if I wanted to be a donor, this time I was in my late 20's and had some conversations about it, and agreed.

I have now been an organ donor since 27yrs old, I am also on the bone marrow registry, and I still take the time to donate blood bi-weekly.

Now to answer your questions.

I do not believe that any government should pay for organ donation. Imagine the requirements the Gov. would need to have over the course of your life to ensure you are at the best shape you can be to ensure your organs are in the same... No one will give up their freedoms as such.

It be worse than trying to qualify for a 30yr fixed note when you only have a 640 Fico and zero down

People should be donors out of the goodness of their hearts, and the benefit of people they have not met, and those of which such as myself have lost.

Deleted
    Organ donor. Why would I incinerate them?

Deleted
    They wouldn't let me donate blood because of my body weight. :<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    This would apply to me, too, anyway. So even if I would want to, I couldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem with donating my organs, it's not like I need them when I'm dead.

I donate blood now and then - I always say that's the only charity I can afford to support. LOL I'm also registered as an organ donor, and would like to figure out how set things up so that when I die my body gets shipped off to med school or something for research/teaching purposes. If I'm done with it, might as well let it be put to as much use as possible rather than rotting in the ground or getting fried.
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

Why would that be an issue? I am no light weight by any measure and I donate blood all the time.

Deleted
    I hold an organ donor card with everything ticked as being 'up for grabs' and I used to give blood relatively frequently before my health got to poor, but I intend to give again once I get a bit more mass. I just need all my blood for myself right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Why would that be an issue? I am no light weight by any measure and I donate blood all the time.
    They've got a requirement in sweden that you need to weigh atleast 50 kg. I don't weigh 50 kg, I weigh 45 kg.

They've got a requirement in sweden that you need to weigh atleast 50 kg. I don't weigh 50 kg, I weigh 45 kg.
    some of the charts I was looking at to get a scale don't even show 45 kg X_X

10+ Year Old Account
    Organ-donor I haven't signed anything of yet, but when I get around to it I want to be one, maybe I'll have a few things that I don't want to donate, but if I can help someone else when I'm already dead, why shouldn't I?
    What's your reason for being selective on what you would donate? I became an organ and tissue donor recently, but was a little irked to hear a story on NPR (sorry righty's) about a high percentage of tissue donations that ultimately end up being used for cosmetic surgery. This is controlled by states and the percentage varies as such. In some states like California, you can go online and "pick and choose" exactly what tissue you would like to donate (tendons, ligaments, skin, cornea etc) and more importantly, you can also choose where you would like your donation to go. There are 10 other states in the US that grant the donor more choices other than simply YES or NO.

I'd much rather have my useless junk go to little Jonny that needs a skin graft after being burned than have it go to fabulous Gionni's new chin line.

Interesting stuff. Link for those interested.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/07/18/156968...ssue-donor-too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    some of the charts I was looking at to get a scale don't even show 45 kg X_X
    I wonder if your blood is in poor condition when you're underweight? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    What's your reason for being selective on what you would donate? ]
    As usefull as giving everything is, I think they can't complain when someone is giving organs already. So it isn't something anyone should complain about imo.
    Even if all you want to give is 1 kidney. Just like it is with donating money to charity, Many people can miss donating 5 euros but they still donate 2. You don't hear anyone complaining because they're giving it away for free~ and well all bits help
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2013-01-23 at 04:25 PM.