Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's the EXACT same model as GW2, or Neverwinter. Replace diamonds with gold... No different at all.

Why in the world would you pay $10 for a mount? You buy them in game... I bought mine for 400 silver.

Just like EVE, people buy plex and then sell it. Samething here. People buy mounts then sell them. I've spent $9 since november. I've opened the cash shop atleast 6 times trying to find something to buy. I feel like I'm ripping them lmao.

Last year I spent $80 on swtor, $50 on TSW, $60 on GW2, $50 on pandas, $120 on Planetside 2. The industry robbed us in 2012. Again I've spent $9 on AoW for 4 months of HEAVY play. I played longer than I played any of those others. Thank you Snail Games. I will buy something soon.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 01:18 AM.

It's the EXACT same model as GW2, or Neverwinter. Replace diamonds with gold... No different at all.
    Not sure how freeium and B2P are exactly the same and not sure how gems and gold are the same. Not that gold in GW2 gives you an advantage besides vanity and time.

If gems and gold were the same there would be no point in having gems and gold.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-03-07 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Last year I spent $80 on swtor, $50 on TSW, $60 on GW2, $50 on pandas, $120 on Planetside 2. The industry robbed us in 2012. Again I've spent $9 on AoW for 4 months of HEAVY play. I played longer than I played any of those others. Thank you Snail Games. I will buy something soon.
    This is exactly why you dont understand our concern.

Look man, the game looks good you don't need to champion for the sake of the quality of the game. This business model, implemented the way it seems, its going to kill the game. Most people do not spend the money you say you spent on Planetside2, let alone people who don't spend that much on multiple games in a year. People are not going to tear away form their cost effective $15 dollars a month for WoW/Eve/Rift or the plethora of B2P games out there now for something that will cost upwards of $21+ a month to stay competitive. Its a shame too because I bet this game really does kick ass.

And what you have spent on AoW while in beta is irrelevant. We are talking about their live business model and how it will be when the game is live and people are playing.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2013-03-07 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Not sure how freeium and B2P are exactly the same and not sure how gems and gold are the same. Not that gold in GW2 gives you an advantage besides vanity and time.

If gems and gold were the same there would be no point in having gems and gold.
    Sorry if I was confusing. GW2 has gems, which you can convert into gold. AoW has Gold, which you can convert into silver.

What people have been talking about for the last page are the mounts. Mounts last 30 days in AoW. You can either buy a mount with gold, or you can but them from a player in game.

The point up for debate is if the mounts should expire after 30 days. That's a fair debate. Everything else is just people talking about a game they haven't played. Again I have paid $9 over the past 4 months.

edit - I really do feel bad about only spending $9, but the only things I can buy are gold and mounts, and some cosmetics. I don't need the gold to convert, I will not pay 9 bucks for a mount, and I look like this

for being a top 10 sever calligrapher. The cool thing about it is, you can't buy this. You have to work for it, and only 10 people have it.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 04:25 AM.

This looks amazing. But I'm in the EU. I'm betting I can't play it. I hope I lose that bet though.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    the game looks good you don't need to champion
    Man so much bull was championed last year. Three month games, one after the other all doing the same thing. Quest, dungeons, battle grounds. Costing 50$ minimum.

On bored night dissapointed that DF:UW was delayed again, I stumbled on this gem called AoW, with everything we've been asking for except terraforming. I mean it says "Age of Wushu is a PvP world are you sure you want to continue" You have to check the box to log in.

You don't have to listen, but I'm gonna tell any gamer who will.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 03:59 AM ----------

@Shandowbane- Goons and Shinobi from EVE play. Their Guild leaders live in London. In my guild alone there are people from china, england, sweeden, vietnam, and a bunch of other places.

That being said, you will need to use a ping reducer. Something like "Leatrix" You will probably still ping 235- 275. The game is Ultra smooth though. 0 fps lag on a P4., and have only crashed 1 time. A lot of people have never crashed. I think that makes it possible for them.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 04:07 AM.

That being said, you will need to use a ping reducer. Something like "Leatrix" You will probably still ping 235- 275. The game is Ultra smooth though. 0 fps lag on a P4., and have only crashed 1 time. A lot of people have never crashed. I think that makes it possible for them.
    Don't bother, won't help much, wait for EU like the rest of us
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    This looks amazing. But I'm in the EU. I'm betting I can't play it. I hope I lose that bet though.
    well... if 200 ms latency is unplayable for you, you won that bet.
    Southern Germany, I usually get 160-220 ms latency.

Deleted
    you can buy gold which can then be used to level up skills.. the start of pay to win. Thats just bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    you can buy gold which can then be used to level up skills.. the start of pay to win. Thats just bullshit.
    Yep you sure can.

That being said, the skill system is time based. From doing things you get XP. The XP goes into a pool, and is time released into cultivation points. You select a skill, those cultivation points will go to your skill over a period of time, 20mins - 2 days.

Now let's look at this. Let's say a skill takes 2 days to go up 1 rank. 1 rank may be a 2% diffference. That one rank would cost someone spending cash around $100. That's P2Lose if you ask me...

Honestly I would rather have Snail making money of idoits, than gouging me.

Deleted
    i have no idea about the game but im guessing there is end content.. items which can be sold at a premium if found first.. which only adds to the wealth of those willing to spend money. The devs have said they intend the best weapons to be bought by gold and not sold in the eshop.. which is kinda stupid as you can buy currency in the eshop lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    i have no idea about the game but im guessing there is end content.. items which can be sold at a premium if found first.. which only adds to the wealth of those willing to spend money. The devs have said they intend the best weapons to be bought by gold and not sold in the eshop.. which is kinda stupid as you can buy currency in the eshop lol.

Hey, no problem man. We are all learning. Couple things wrong with your assumptions.

1st there is nothing in the game world that can not be done 1/2 a day into the game outside of dungeons, 6, 12, 18 man. All items are created by players. No items as in weapons or armor drops in these dungeons, or anywhere in the game. Recipes drop.

That being said, yes if you happen to be one of the first to do something you may get a rare recipe you could come back and sell, just like WoW or any other game.

The devs may have said that they intend for best weapons to be bought in game. Like it should be right? You can't buy weapons or armor in the cash shop. The cash shop is were you spend gold on cosmetics.

Again the system is no different than GW2. Replace the word Gem, with Gold. If you feel GW2, or EVE is p2w, well then that's how you feel I guess.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 03:01 PM.

All items are created by players. No items as in weapons or armor drops in these dungeons, or anywhere in the game. Recipes drop.
    Huh? All the gear I got was either from quests or from treasure chests found in the world.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Huh? All the gear I got was either from quests or from treasure chests found in the world.
    That's because you only played for 2 hours, tutorial stuff The stuff that drops from quest and chest are "wood" quality items. Think grey or white items in WoW. They are better than being naked. You can't sell the stuff though, well I guess you could, but no will buy it.

I'm telling you people don't quest after there first day or so, unless they just want some immersion or history.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 03:08 PM.

I tried not to quest - went into crafting. But first I needed resources. After 30 minutes of running between 3 wood nodes and 2 ore nodes, which spawned on fixed timers in fixed locations, I quit the game. It's 2013 and I'm supposed to deal with grinding methods from 10 years ago... It begs for using bot - who right in their mind would be excited by monotonous running between 5 points for hours?

There's this approach to the game design which I like - if you feel you want / need to automate your gameplay then game design is broken.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Deleted
    seems interesting, but still not really what I'm looking for. wish there was permadeath and more sandbox elements.

Most of your comments about AoW I read look like you've pretty much played just the tutorial, which is, I admit, the worst part of the game. It's quite long and confusing for new players and gives an absolutely wrong impression of the game - an impression that you'll have to quest like in your average generic themepark. I haven't completed one quest beyond the tutorial, because a)they're boring b)not worth it / reward bad c)other options are much more appealing and rewarding.

And yes, all the gear beyond the starter set that you get from tutorial quests/NPCs/chests is player crafted, like bcbully said.

As for earning money... I've had troubles as a free player. It's much easier to gain some silver if you're a VIP. So basically the game is freemium, but the monthly cost AFAIK is cheaper than your standard MMO pricing, and the game is worth it.
    Despite all that, the cash shop doesn't have a huge influence on the game, even though you can buy silver through it.
    Last edited by Grable; 2013-03-07 at 03:29 PM.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Is there anything to do apart from PvP, grindy crafting system and boring questing then?

Is there anything to do apart from PvP, grindy crafting system and boring questing then?
    Trying to be objective here. I believe the main focus of this game is definitely PvP. You can see that because they managed to stick PvP in so many different and unique forms in it. Crafting is the usual crafting, I guess you can have fun with economy/market like in EVE if you feel like it, not that you'll gain much from being rich. Boring questing can be trashed for all I care, it's pretty pointless after tutorial.

So no, I guess there isn't much more to it, except if you enjoy the theme/world/music or for whatever other extravagant reason. PvP is the heart of this game.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Trying to be objective here. I believe the main focus of this game is definitely PvP. You can see that because they managed to stick PvP in so many different and unique forms in it. Crafting is the usual crafting, I guess you can have fun with economy/market like in EVE if you feel like it, not that you'll gain much from being rich. Boring questing can be trashed for all I care, it's pretty pointless after tutorial.

So no, I guess there isn't much more to it, except if you enjoy the theme/world/music or for whatever other extravagant reason. PvP is the heart of this game.
    or is it crafting

It's certainly not questing lol. You could literally take out all the quest (keep gossip quest those are pretty dame cool, random encounters triggered by collecting gossip, and whether npcs like you or dislike you. You action matter.)and the game would not change at all.

anyone have a write on the gossip random encounter systems?

Gossip Guide Link

"In AoW, a generic NPC may have one of 14 personality traits. Each personality type will react to your behaviour in different ways."

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 10:04 PM ----------

Just bit the bullet. the 30 days on my horse expired. My choices were -

A) Whip out the CC and buy 30g for $9.
    B) Buy one from a player

I choose B. I searched around and found one for 450 silver. The reason I chose B, even though I've been looking for something to buy, is that I just don't think a horse is worth it.

4 months in, and still only paid $9 to get into the first CB
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-07 at 10:06 PM.