Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The only thing i don´t like is the fact that it is legal for Facebook to submit such information, while it was clearly flagged as private by the user. Im lucky enough to understand that nothing is safe on the internet, so i post everything with that in mind.(Even facebook) Unluckily for me though, i mostly use FB for my university social events ie parties.
    Last edited by Arlon; 2013-01-28 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Wait so if you don't have a facebook or Twitter or w/e, its considered a red-flag?
    Where has anyone said that?

I mean if I get shit done what in the hell does is matter to you if I spend my free time at home modding game systems or coding or gaming?
    You really should read what is being said. We're not interested at all how you spend your evenings as long as it isn't stuff that could impact our company and your working here. If you spend your nights up until 3:00 am building games, I don't care, that is something for you to manage, but if you spend your nights up until 3:00 am smoking, drinking, fighting and being an ass, I don't want you on my team.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should see some of the crazy shit that people do that are extremely responsible and productive members of society. They would not have their jobs if this sort of shit existed 10-20 years ago.

Real shame. Too bad we have a bunch of morons in HR that think what someone does in their personal, once private, life has any bearing on their ability to work. They would be floored at the amount of drug use and debauchery that was carried out by some of histories greatest minds and leaders.

Anyways, hope your company and every other one that invades privacy goes bankrupt.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-01-28 at 07:51 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    When you're hiring for a position, if there's a 1/10 chance that Candidate A is a loon based on what you found on the Internet, and there's nothing bad about Candidate B at all, you hire Candidate B. That's why they do this stuff. It's how they make the call between prospective hires.
    Because everything on the internet is true right? And because Candidate B doesn't have a Facebook profile, it's not to much that you know there's nothing bad about them, it's just that you know you know nothing about him.

A quote from Donald Rumsfeld is applicable here:
    There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know.
    The fact that someone likes to get hammered is a known known.
    How much that will affect their work is a known unknown(you know it will likely have some effect, just not how much).
    Candidate B however is an unknown unknown. You don't know anything about his habits. For all you know he could be a drunk, child-abusing violent jackass, many of whom are very good at presenting the world with an entirely different face than the one they wear at home. And all you know is only what Candidate B has told you, which Hyve's posts have repeatedly indicated to be full of shit and almost always lies.

So really why Candidate A may be a total loon based on what the internet says, Candidate B you know nothing about at all.

What's a bigger risk really?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Wait so if you don't have a facebook or Twitter or w/e, its considered a red-flag? Why? I mean personally I don't use it as I have no need for it and I keep in contact with people from HS and people I've met over the years through other means as most of my friends are well computer gamers or programmers, basically someone who uses the computer a lot and is tech savvy. I don't understand how it's a red flag though, I mean if I get shit done what in the hell does is matter to you if I spend my free time at home modding game systems or coding or gaming?
    I think that depends on who's doing the hiring. There are some people who see the lack of social media as being an issue for someone who is supposedly "tech savvy" because they themselves have a personal, I would say, bias towards nerdy types. They perhaps see themselves as plugged in because they have facebook and cannot understand why someone who is supposedly more savvy isn't. That's just the "bridging issue" right now I think with social media and part of the reason why I think it's dangerous.

That said, during the process, if you -think- it might be an issue, you should mention the reasons why you avoid social media. I wouldn't suggest going into a diatribe about privacy policies or how you think it's stupid. I would usually bring it up when sharing contact information and mention that you don't use social media etc.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because everything on the internet is true right? And because Candidate B doesn't have a Facebook profile, it's not to much that you know there's nothing bad about them, it's just that you know you know nothing about him.

A quote from Donald Rumsfeld is applicable here:

The fact that someone likes to get hammered is a known known.
    How much that will affect their work is a known unknown(you know it will likely have some effect, just not how much).
    Candidate B however is an unknown unknown. You don't know anything about his habits. For all you know he could be a drunk, child-abusing violent jackass, many of whom are very good at presenting the world with an entirely different face than the one they wear at home. And all you know is only what Candidate B has told you, which Hyve's posts have repeatedly indicated to be full of shit and almost always lies.

So really why Candidate A may be a total loon based on what the internet says, Candidate B you know nothing about at all.

What's a bigger risk really?
    I think they've already pointed out that it's less to do with someone just going out for drinks on a weekend. More to do with duplicity or dishonesty as those are traits an employer should worry about. I mean if you're a deviant there might be problems. I don't think my employer would be doing very well at all as due diligence on staff is a major factor in attracting large investment firms and banks to our business. If I had picture on my FB profile of me dressed as the Grand Wizard burning crosses. I would imagine that would have a negative impact.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-01-28 at 07:55 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    You should see some of the crazy shit that people do that are extremely responsible and productive members of society. They would not have their jobs if this sort of shit existed 10-20 years ago.

Real shame. Too bad we have a bunch of morons in HR that think what someone does in their personal, once private, life has any bearing on their ability to work. They would be floored at the amount of drug use and debauchery that was carried out by some of histories greatest minds and leaders.
    Please explain to me how your extensive business knowledge helped you reach this conclusion, because from what I see, and from what I have made very clear, what people do in their personal life does have an impact on my business.

I've said a million times, and i'll say it a million more. We don't care how you spend your private life, as long as it wont interfere with your ability to turn up and do your job. We pay our staff very well, with plenty of benefits, and again, we apply this policy to upper-management, people who's actions have direct consequences in our company.

I agree though, that if you're flipping burgers it is a long stretch to go, for offering someone a minimum wage job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Where has anyone said that?

You really should read what is being said. We're not interested at all how you spend your evenings as long as it isn't stuff that could impact our company and your working here. If you spend your nights up until 3:00 am building games, I don't care, that is something for you to manage, but if you spend your nights up until 3:00 am smoking, drinking, fighting and being an ass, I don't want you on my team.
    Ahh, I didn't mean you said it but someone else did in the first few pages haha sorry I didn't imply you specifically. But yeah basically I'm a nerd and spend my time working with computers all day.

Please explain to me how your extensive business knowledge helped you reach this conclusion, because from what I see, and from what I have made very clear, what people do in their personal life does have an impact on my business.

I've said a million times, and i'll say it a million more. We don't care how you spend your private life, as long as it wont interfere with your ability to turn up and do your job. We pay our staff very well, with plenty of benefits, and again, we apply this policy to upper-management, people who's actions have direct consequences in our company.

I agree though, that if you're flipping burgers it is a long stretch to go, for offering someone a minimum wage job.
    I like how you keep saying you are in the business world when all you are is an HR minion. Like what do you actually know about how business works?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I like how you keep saying you are in the business world when all you are is an HR minion. Like what do you actually know about how business works?
    Where has he ever said he was just an HR minion? I'm imagining he's a manager of IT for a company at the very least, or something similar.

I'm the Chief Operating Officer of the company ...

judging by hyve's grammar and use of terms like molesting police officers i really think this guy is trolling and making this up

Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    judging by hyve's grammar and use of terms like molesting police officers i really think this guy is trolling and making this up
    But he is also the COO of his made up company.

Infracted: Please do not harass and insult other users
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-29 at 05:00 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I think they've already pointed out that it's less to do with someone just going out for drinks on a weekend. More to do with duplicity or dishonesty as those are traits an employer should worry about. I mean if you're a deviant there might be problems. I don't think my employer would be doing very well at all as due diligence on staff is a major factor in attracting large investment firms and banks to our business. If I had picture on my FB profile of me dressed as the Grand Wizard burning crosses. I would imagine that would have a negative impact.
    So if the issue is dishonesty, then being a Grand Wizard or burning crosses isn't a problem at all, as long as you're honest and up-front about it.

But that's exactly what my point was above. Even if you know Candidate A is a total loon, even if he lied to you about it, if you operate under the assumption that you cannot get truthful information from a prospective employee, then Candidate B is even worse. You know nothing about him at all! You know Candidate A is a loon who lied to you, all you know about Candidate B is that based on your assumptions about prospective candidates, he lied to you too, the problem is you have no other evidence to go on beyond his lies.

So both candidates are liars, but you know what Candidate A lied about, you don't know what Candidate B lied about, even though you know he lied.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So if the issue is dishonesty, then being a Grand Wizard or burning crosses isn't a problem at all, as long as you're honest and up-front about it.

But that's exactly what my point was above. Even if you know Candidate A is a total loon, even if he lied to you about it, if you operate under the assumption that you cannot get truthful information from a prospective employee, then Candidate B is even worse. You know nothing about him at all! You know Candidate A is a loon who lied to you, all you know about Candidate B is that based on your assumptions about prospective candidates, he lied to you too, the problem is you have no other evidence to go on beyond his lies.

So both candidates are liars, but you know what Candidate A lied about, you don't know what Candidate B lied about, even though you know he lied.
    Then I would move on to Candidate C :P

But I don't think it's done with the intent of fact checking. It's just being thorough. If someone happens to slip up, then it becomes an issue. But in this case Candidate B wouldn't be under the microscope.

I go back to the concept of other businesses performing due diligence. If an employer neglected to find out as much as they could about their staff, but a potential partner or investor did and found out their head of accounts moonlights as a cross dresser who kills kittens on youtube. That may have consequences...
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-01-28 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I would move on to Candidate C :P
    That's probably a reasonable thing to do in the situation.

Of course there's the chance that Candidate B is mostly harmless, and you're passing over a perfect employee because you're cynical, paranoid, distrustful.

Considering that you'd probably continue to covertly spy on your employee, Candidate B is probably better off not working for you.

Just, be kind.

That's probably a reasonable thing to do in the situation.

Of course there's the chance that Candidate B is mostly harmless, and you're passing over a perfect employee because you're cynical, paranoid, distrustful.

Considering that you'd probably continue to covertly spy on your employee, Candidate B is probably better off not working for you.
    I have a tendency to edit rather than making extra replies. Go up!

Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    So i'm not allowed to have a personality? Also, what has my grammar got to do with anything? I have people working for me who check anything I type out ...

But he is also the COO of his made up company.
    Because not spilling my entire companies details mean it is a fake company. Nice attempt(s) at derailing the thread, and turning it into a Bashing Hyve thread, but unless you intend on getting back on topic, you might want to leave the thread.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:10 PM ----------

I have a tendency to edit rather than making extra replies. Go up!
    Made extra reply about not making extra replies.

Because not spilling my entire companies details mean it is a fake company. Nice attempt(s) at derailing the thread, and turning it into a Bashing Hyve thread, but unless you intend on getting back on topic, you might want to leave the thread.
    Remember though, he needs to call up his lawyer and file an injunction on your Widgets Company for peeking at the facebooks.

Remember though, he needs to call up his lawyer and file an injunction on your Widgets Company for peeking at the facebooks.
    I'm pretty sure Hyve commutes on Highway √-1.

So i'm not allowed to have a personality? Also, what has my grammar got to do with anything? I have people working for me who check anything I type out ...

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:10 PM ----------

Made extra reply about not making extra replies.
    You are the COO of a company and you pay people below you just to check to make sure you can spell and use grammar correctly? What an amazing Operations Manager.
    Gamdwelf the Mage