Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I can't help but look at that and think that you tone seems a little pointed, gender-to-be-identified-as-child-version-in-an-attempt-to-be-condescending.

It's a reference to The Big Bang Theory.
    I don't really watch TBBT. Though i know enough to know i'm a hybrid of sheldon and ahh damn the one who dated penny.

And guessing you mean my comment soynds a but childish.

Maybe but i put dogs above humans in many ways. So much nicer and easier to be around LOL.

Oh and the "boy" was a joke bit. I have some relatives who actually used it and my head had that bit in a southern dialect thus the "boy".
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2013-01-29 at 08:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I don't really watch TBBT. Though i know enough to know i'm a hybrid of sheldon and ahh damn the one who dated penny.

And guessing you mean my comment soynds a but childish.

Maybe but i put dogs above humans in many ways. So much nicer and easier to be around LOL.
    Yes for a genius your comment soynds a but childish.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If you look back through history at famous poets, artists, mathematicians, writers, and physicists you would realize nearly all of them suffered from mental disorders, yet they accomplished astonishing things.

Why are these two polar opposites seemingly linked so deeply?
    Ignorance is bliss. There's a lot of truth to that proverb. The happiest people are often the dumbest (Though only to a point, of course). I was expected to do great things, for example, was always told I as smart, now I'm 25, have struggled with mental problems for over 10 years, and I'm wondering if I'll ever get a proper education. I swear to you I'm not dumb, but it's difficult to juggle life and disorders at the same time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, people like isac newton, einstein, leonardo davinci, etc, wich we consider to be genius today, had a diferente way to see and interact with the world and for the most part of our history society considered those that had a diferent way of thinking and interaction with the world as insane.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Yes for a genius your comment soynds a but childish.
    First i said OTHERS consider me that. It's off and on for me LOL. Though generally i either consider myself stupid or a bit above average at best.

The genius bit i tend to hate...So much hubris from declaring yourself as such. I only broughtit up due to being semi relevent to the discussion at hand.

And of course they do i embrace my inner child. Plus i'm a joker at heart. Add in recovering fron a virus and a friend waking me early and yeah i'm not at my most intellectual.

But TBH in general i'd rather have fun then just buckle down and be all serious. Irony is i can find learning and thinking about subjects such as humanity amd where it's going/ways to help it as well as basic stuff like life and it's meaning fun.

I'm an odd duck i guess is the best way to put it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Ignorance is bliss. There's a lot of truth to that proverb. The happiest people are often the dumbest (Though only to a point, of course). I was expected to do great things, for example, was always told I as smart, now I'm 25, have struggled with mental problems for over 10 years, and I'm wondering if I'll ever get a proper education. I swear to you I'm not dumb, but it's difficult to juggle life and disorders at the same time.
    Agreed man. Medicated to a near lobotomized state for alot of my life. Basically been going through teens in my 20s and so on.

Always told i was smart even outright genius inthe past few years but no proper education/not being cut out for school systems really makes it a serious pain in the ass.

So many people think intelligence is how many degrees ya have or how many books you've read.

Bah there are reasons i call degrees dolphin papers. Social hoops is what they are...Ironically both my parents are retired educators high school and college(both of em worked in both areas)and they agree that at least the US has a screwed up school/college system that is overly reliant on tests and reciting prerecorded information.

But think for yourself and que medication or being a problem child....Okay in MY case i did fight a decent amount as a kid(abnormal reaction to percieved dangers triggered an abnormally large amount of blackouts/survival states for me) and make animal noises in class(it was boring i had covered that stuff before...Not that i realized that was why then).

But yeah overall it's hard to be "off" when the primary solution is medicate and in my case throw in day proson for kids(my dads description).

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    The thing is, people like isac newton, einstein, leonardo davinci, etc, wich we consider to be genius today, had a diferente way to see and interact with the world and for the most part of our history society considered those that had a diferent way of thinking and interaction with the world as insane.
    Still do. Only now they're medicated into stupidity or tossed into gods only know what kind of place unless they can "play ball" as well.

I suggest you read Proust, it may give you some perspective on how a genius looks at the world
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Because ignorance is bliss. Being smarter usually leads to seeing the horrible reality much clearly than the rest of the population. From what I've been told its severely depressing.

So. You're putting mathematicians/physicists and poets/writers in the same category. I don't like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qprahwndfury View Post
    Because ignorance is bliss. Being smarter usually leads to seeing the horrible reality much clearly than the rest of the population. From what I've been told its severely depressing.
    Yeah can be...I am also a bit of an optimist. But TBH all this control going on by various nations in the guise of preserving peace(which if you think about it is VERY bad seeing as humans adapt and grow from "pain") and protecting the children.

Alot of potential and freedom has been list and yet the way modern systems are designed to prevent corruption also ironically means that it's that much harder to solve said problems once they arise.

That gets pretty depressing. Thus why i drown my sorrows in my inner child...And desires for ignorance/stupidity LOL

As it has already been said; ignorance is bliss.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think people overestimate just how smart they are. I see a lot of people who border on the edge of insanity (or who are already there) who think they're geniuses and can see the world for what it really is... when they're really just crazy and not much else.

There are lots of crazy people that aren't geniuses, being smart has nothing to do with being crazy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Disorders linked to obsessiveness can lead to someone becoming a master in a field with that inhuman determination lead in the right direction.

As well as the fact nearly everyone has some form of disorder, some people just make up for it with drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    I think people overestimate just how smart they are. I see a lot of people who border on the edge of insanity (or who are already there) who think they're geniuses and can see the world for what it really is... when they're really just crazy and not much else.

There are lots of crazy people that aren't geniuses, being smart has nothing to do with being crazy.
    I can see that...I still doubt i am TBH i know so lottle about the universe and even the basic stuff. Though i'd rather prefer to think i do a fucking sambo all over that line LOL.

But i am probably closer to the crazy side LOL.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Disorders linked to obsessiveness can lead to someone becoming a master in a field with that inhuman determination lead in the right direction.

As well as the fact nearly everyone has some form of disorder, some people just make up for it with drive.
    This as well. I have ALOT of random knowledge from various things i;ve been obsessed with...These days it's almost exclusively anime and manga. But i have a fair amount of history, science, mythology and other various things stored in my noggin LOL....Alot of people are surprised i'm as sane as i am LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Are you asking because you're worried you're falling into a descent of madness with your genius? That's the usual conclusion with your threads.
    Threads? More like livejournal entries.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Because both involve some degree of brain hyperactivity. That's why you can find common symptoms in the two.

Epileptic Seizures are also caused by synchronised brain hyperactivity (pretty much most the brain "lighting" up at the same time).

Because it actually is not.

Haven't you already made a thread about this? Recycling old topics? =/

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/how-gen...ked-to-madness
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...lved-gift.html
    http://www.creativitypost.com/psycho...achieve_genius
    (still trying to find a more reliable source, but bighthink.com should be reliable enough)

Some quotes:

"Genius requires penetrating insight into reality, whereas madness is confusion about reality. Nonetheless, both madness and genius appear likely to be positively related to the broad trait of Openness/Intellect. Without the tendency to perceive patterns that is fundamental to Openness, Intellect may by unlikely to lead to the creativity required for genius. Perhaps, then, genius is most likely to emerge given the combination of high Intellect and high Openness, and one must risk madness to achieve genius."

"Were it not for those “disordered” genes, you wouldn’t have extremely creative, successful people. Being in the absolute middle of every trait spectrum, not too extreme in any one direction, makes you balanced, but rather boring. The tails of the spectrum, or the fringe, is where all the exciting stuff happens. Some of the exciting stuff goes uncontrolled and ends up being a psychological disorder, but some of those people with the traits that define Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, ADHD, and other psychological conditions, have the fortunate gift of high cognitive control paired with those traits, and end up being the creative geniuses that we admire, aspire to be like, and desperately need in this world."
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Or just our society think that they are mad. In a different place and time, with different surrundings they could be considered the most sane person.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

The difference between a genius and a madman in this context is how society perceives them. If someone comes up with an innovative idea and people like it, he's a genius. If people don't like it, he's a madman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Or just our society think that they are mad. In a different place and time, with different surrundings they could be considered the most sane person.
    Thus why people like me who don't fit in wish we had been born inva different temporal point...Or rality either works for me LOL.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    The difference between a genius and a madman in this context is how society perceives them. If someone comes up with an innovative idea and people like it, he's a genius. If people don't like it, he's a madman.
    This also...Or a mad genius as my friend has called me LOL. Seems i remind him of alot of many cheesy 70s-80s mecha mad scientists.