Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    Though i hope that it goes through the lords without issue.
    Considering just how large the margin was (400 to 175) in an essentially fractured parliament - I don't see Lords holding it up for very long. While they may be 'appointees' even they will see that times are changing (and if they want to keep their plush jobs - they're going to need too as well)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    The lable matters.

Its much more than a title.

If i have to label myself as in a civil partnership then i am labelling myself as gay, and there is still discrimination. Also, if there is no difference then call it the same, if you call one marriage and one civil partnerships you are differentiating by saying one is not the measure of the other.....

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:35 PM ----------

Really? Wiki says 14 mil
    Depends what you consider New England. I consider the northern half of the original colonies to be New England

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    I'm not sure were you're getting your numbers from GreatOak, but the Wiki™ says there's only 14mil in New England. Are you by chance including New York state with it?(The Wiki™ doesn't).
    Yes, I dont really consider New York to be its own region
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    It could theoretically happen this year, as DOMA is being challenged in the Supreme Court
    oh yeah i forgot about that, though i wouldn't quite count on it legalizing the whole shebang if they do overturn it. knowing this country, someone will find a way around the supreme court's ruling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Your telling me. It's just that easy to make gay marriage legal in all of the U.K just like that? better then the system we have in United States where some of the states don't allow it.
    U.K. Population 62,641,000
    U.S.A. Population 313,914,040

Well the tide is turning. I actually feel like the world is a slightly different place this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Quo View Post
    The topic is mis-leading. It's not actually legal *yet*. You can't go with your gay partner tomorrow to a church or a registry office and get a certified marriage certificate. So its not legal yet. This vote is part of the process of it becoming legal. It won't be legal until royal accent. This is an ongoing process, the bill was approved in this stage by House of Commons, its yet to go to the House of Lords for further scrutiny and maybe some amendments, then it returns to the Commons.
    I think Royal Assent is pretty much a done deal. Canada already received Royal Assent when it legalised gay marriage, plus all of gay civil partnership legislation has received Royal Assent in three states of Australia and previously the UK.

The crown would never jeopardise its remaining purely nominal authority by attempting to oppose serious legislation even if it wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I wonder why people are so resistant to allowing Gays full rights. For both sides its a win win.

Gays can come out in the open and not be in the shadows. They can participate in society as they are.

For the homophones because Gays are out in the open and accepted the likelihood of them conceiving and passing on their "deviant" genes due to societal pressures won't be passed on to the next generation so eventually as Darwin would have it eventually be bread out of existence.

Win win in the end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well the tide is turning. I actually feel like the world is a slightly different place this morning.

I think Royal Assent is pretty much a done deal. Canada already received Royal Assent when it legalised gay marriage, plus all of gay civil partnership legislation has received Royal Assent in three states of Australia and previously the UK.

The crown would never jeopardise its remaining purely nominal authority by attempting to oppose serious legislation even if it wanted to.
    I wasn't saying that the Crown would not grant Royal Accent, the point I was making that this is only the 2nd reading in the Commons, which means that the process is some way to go yet. Royal Accent is just a formality, but nothing is ever a Law until that happens. Apologies if the insinuation was that the Crown would not grant Royal Accent, was just pointing out that today, tomorrow, or for the near future, it's not legal as the topic stated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats great!

I really dont understand how it is constitutional to not allow gay marriage in the states. What credible argument is to be made against gay marriage other then a religious one? I hope the U.S follow suit soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I wonder why people are so resistant to allowing Gays full rights. For both sides its a win win.

Gays can come out in the open and not be in the shadows. They can participate in society as they are.

For the homophones because Gays are out in the open and accepted the likelihood of them conceiving and passing on their "deviant" genes due to societal pressures won't be passed on to the next generation so eventually as Darwin would have it eventually be bread out of existence.

Win win in the end.
    All reasons against boil down to 'I think it's icky', more or less.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

I wonder why people are so resistant to allowing Gays full rights.
    You don't have to wonder real hard, they'll tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    It's almost like they're a relatively homogenous island with the population of New England.
    Homogeneous? In the UK people living in towns a casual bike ride apart have completely different accents. Every region of the country has thousands of years of history behind it. The US is probably far more homogeneous than the UK is.

Still struggling to understand your creative geography. Can you please delineate exactly which states you mean when you say "New England"? New England plus New York is about 20m + 14m = 34m so you're still only up to about half the population of the UK. Are you basically talking about the entire eastern United States?

10+ Year Old Account

Win win in the end.
    I was never raised to see anything wrong with homosexuality or LGBT people in general (I myself am sort of bisexual). It never seemed rational to discriminate against people with immutable characteristics that don't harm anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats great, considering my opposition against it. I don't think homosexuals need anymore laws passed to live as functioning members of soceity. Now the sexual revoloution can finally end! Oh wait a small minority want to let those who practice illegal things live free from persecution, I have definatly seen bubbles about watering down of laws: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...raphy-law.html
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    oh yeah i forgot about that, though i wouldn't quite count on it legalizing the whole shebang if they do overturn it. knowing this country, someone will find a way around the supreme court's ruling.
    They're doing DOMA and Prop 8 as well. Prop 8 only affects California, however, I'd imagine the ruling's going to set the tone for future arguments. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get any nastier than it already is.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Win win in the end.
    Homosexuality is prevalent in every human society and the entire animal kingdom. You can't breed it out. If it is genetic, it's probably non-isolateable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Homogeneous? In the UK people living in towns a casual bike ride apart have completely different accents. Every region of the country has thousands of years of history behind it. The US is probably far more homogeneous than the UK is.

Still struggling to understand your creative geography. Can you please delineate exactly which states you mean when you say "New England"? New England plus New York is about 20m + 14m = 34m so you're still only up to about half the population of the UK. Are you basically talking about the entire eastern United States?
    Compared to America, Britain is as homogenous as the GOP's base.

Deleted
    Welcome to 2013 UK, smells good right ?

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, more or less the original 13 colonies, but the Northern Quadrant. I look at it from a historical perspective. I was actually unaware that there were legal boundaries to the region

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You don't have to wonder real hard, they'll tell ya.
    No, they just keep talking about their favoriet book. It's strange cause it sounds like they've not read it or they would be protesting outside Red Lobster and the Gap.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    Thats great, considering my opposition against it. I don't think homosexuals need anymore laws passed to live as functioning members of soceity. Now the sexual revoloution can finally end! Oh wait a small minority want to let those who practice illegal things live free from persecution, I have definatly seen bubbles about watering down of laws: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...raphy-law.html
    rmfe. Let's start taking away all those comfy laws and rights straights have and you'll see how quickly you're wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by "sexual revolution." The idea of a sex positive culture? Why is looking at sex in a positive way a bad thing?