Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's about time.
    Congrats go out to everybody who is going to marry eachother when it is official.
    Here in the Netherlands we have this possibility for years, and since i have a truckload of gay friends the party-ratio gone up alot!
    I never understood why this must be an issue in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    They're doing DOMA and Prop 8 as well. Prop 8 only affects California, however, I'd imagine the ruling's going to set the tone for future arguments. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get any nastier than it already is.
    The repeal of DOMA is all that is necessary. Legally, because of the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution, unions recognized in one state must be recognized in all states. DOMA was designed specifically to counter this.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Yeah, more or less the original 13 colonies, but the Northern Quadrant. I look at it from a historical perspective. I was actually unaware that there were legal boundaries to the region
    I totally understand where you're coming from, but yeah New England is generally considered to be Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

You start lumping all the thirteen colonies together and it gets ugly real fast. Regional pride and all that nonsense.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

House of Lords could be an issue given how it's made up by a significant portion of church members. That said however this is a huge step and a great majority vote!

Compared to America, Britain is as homogenous as the GOP's base.
    I think you're deeply ignorant of British culture. Plus you overrate the variety of US culture.

Yeah, more or less the original 13 colonies, but the Northern Quadrant. I look at it from a historical perspective. I was actually unaware that there were legal boundaries to the region
    So you were trying to make a dismissive comment about the size of the UK by comparing its population to the original 13 colonies, the historical core of the United States? Oh, what a harsh burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Australia next please, thankyou.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    rmfe. Let's start taking away all those comfy laws and rights straights have and you'll see how quickly you're wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by "sexual revolution." The idea of a sex positive culture? Why is looking at sex in a positive way a bad thing?
    It's because people attach morals to physical behavior when they don't necessarily have to mesh all the time.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    That's disappointed.
    A vote to grant equal legal rights to a subset of the population is disappointing...how?

It wasn't already? Well, good, we have another proper 1st world country then

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The repeal of DOMA is all that is necessary. Legally, because of the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution, unions recognized in one state must be recognized in all states. DOMA was designed specifically to counter this.
    That's part of why I'm pissed they're bothering with Prop 8. I feel like they're using it to drag their feet and create even more of a circus around it. Had they decided not to hear it this year, the 9th Circuit Ruling striking it down would have been sustained and Prop 8 would be rendered null.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think you're deeply ignorant of British culture. Plus you overrate the variety of US culture.

So you were trying to make a dismissive comment about the size of the UK by comparing its population to the original 13 colonies, the historical core of the United States? Oh, what a harsh burn.
    I was? I have British family and most of my ancestors were British or French. I've been there 6 times. I hold no disdain for the UK and like it as much as my own country. There is no malice here. If countries were family members the UK would be our dad and we would be the fat diabetic son.

Anyways, America is a massive place, with each state having its own sub culture.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    That's part of why I'm pissed they're bothering with Prop 8. I feel like they're using it to drag their feet and create even more of a circus around it. Had they decided not to hear it this year, the 9th Circuit Ruling striking it down would have been sustained and Prop 8 would be rendered null.
    It's a related bill. Who knows whether they'll drag their feet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hooray! Good job, England. You're starting to be all growns up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    It's a related bill. Who knows whether they'll drag their feet?
    Don't remind me. >_< The whole fracas around Prop 8 gives me a massive headache.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    because of the size of the U.K major laws are passed and it becomes country wide. Districts can be for or against laws but they are instructed to comply with it.
    Scottish law is entirely separate from England & Wales.

/pedantry

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with this personaly, I think it's bad, and devalues Church marriages even more, Being married in a church should be because you're a christian(or whatever religion) Not just because you like churches, I think the only reason you should be able to get married in a church is if you're a proper church go-er and have been for several years
    Too many people want to get married in a church because they think it's sweeter, or means more or other bull, i think it should only come down to if you're a Church go-er, Gay or straight =/
    But also as others have pointed out, it's still not legal, it's just another step closer, so your thread title is terrible wrong

Edit, Obviously i mean i don't think it should be legal in churches, everywhere else fine, But not churches:<
    Last edited by GKLeatherCraft; 2013-02-06 at 12:11 AM.

Deleted
    Hooray! Already had one friend on facebook who's bitching that the moral fabric of the UK is breaking down Can see the next few days will be fun! Honestly I'm glad it's passed. Personally I was happy with civil unions but this is a good thing! Marriage for all! Also the religions can't bitch about it seeing as they cannot be forced into performing a same-sex wedding... which is also a good thing.

Deleted
    Wow. This is great news! I think it is a freaking joke that this is not allowed in every western country yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because people attach morals to physical behavior when they don't necessarily have to mesh all the time.
    meh only when they have garbage morals