Poll: What would you do if you found Horse meat in Beef product

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    yeah its really not that bad, the deceiving part is the problem, eating horse isn't really an issue i don;t think, hell the water we drink every day has passed through countless beings, each time you wake up in the morning and take a nice deep swig of that coffee just remember the potentially 100's of dinos that pissed that water out all them years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So ppl would eat a cow, a swine or chicken, tuna, rabbit or deer and sometimes go out of their way to eat ostrich, crocodile or zebra, yet horsemeat is unacceptable?
    Implying all the people who do the former also do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    Not 100% sure... but isn't horse meat said to be taster?
    Of course that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to name is as "beef" when it's not...
    I don't think the problem is to do with the quality of the meat...

It's a social thing. Eating dog might be fine in some Asian Countries but in the US and Europe that would be considered wrong in some way. Eating horse meat brings up similair feelings for British people although maybe not to the same extent.

Another problem is that certain medications that some horses are given that are harmful to humans could be in the horsemeat. Tests are being done to test for this.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-02-08 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every horse can win the Derby.

So ppl would eat a cow, a swine or chicken, tuna, rabbit or deer and sometimes go out of their way to eat ostrich, crocodile or zebra, yet horsemeat is unacceptable?

Ah well, guess this is about having been deceived, but..seriously. Even your bread has the blood, bones and intestines of mice, rats, deer, rabbits and such in it..you think they clear the fields before the harvesters charge in?
    I guess you'd be fine with eating dog even if you had pet dogs yourself ?

Deleted
    I dont object to horsemeat, I've eaten it, and have no issues with it

I do object to meat the origin of which is not know, and that has not been subject to quality control.
    So I'd return it on quality and standards issues, but quite happily buy and eat properly regulated horsemeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be pissed. Mostly because I was deceived, but also because I do not want to eat horses.

To me it would be almost as bad as finding out that I had eaten dog or cat. I have a horse and I really like them. They are very smart animals that live a long time.

Yes, I have every right to decide which animals I deem appropriate to eat.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-08 at 08:23 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I guess you'd be fine with eating dog even if you had pet dogs yourself ?

yep.
    I dont object to eating any animal so long as its safe and tastes nice.

Fido-burgers mmmmmmm,

I'd probably eat dog if it was that or die, it really depends though, i'd have to be really damn hungry. and it better be one tasty ass dog. put it in a curry and you wouldn't know.

its things like eyes and testicles i probably wouldn't eat, even if i was dying of starvation, but then its easy to say that when i'm not so who knows.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-02-08 at 08:23 PM.

The issue isn't that it is horse meat, but rather that the food is marketed as "100% beef". It is totally right to sue the pants off the suppliers for that kind of "mistake".

Does horse meat have it own special name like cow meat is called beef?

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Didn't think the number is 100%, overdramatized? Really don't believe 100%. But again, horse meat ain't that bad, you can survive on it. But of course, you want what you pay for, not something with a different wrap.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Additionally: We don't eat other carnivores as arule, only omnivores or herbivores
    Not true at all. You even list some in your previous post. Gators, snakes, and many fish. Carnivores are not designed to be eaten, though. They are designed to kill and have the physical anatomy to do so, which happens to not be the tastiest of rigs.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Interesting. Didn't think the number is 100%, overdramatized? Really don't believe 100%. But again, horse meat ain't that bad, you can survive on it. But of course, you want what you pay for, not something with a different wrap.
    11/18 samples either had 60% or 100% horsemeat. Not overdramatized.

Deleted
    I think the main issue that people are having is that it was labeled as Beef, when it didnt actually contain beef or it contained a mixture of beef and horse. It's a pretty safe bet that the companies involved where mislead as much as anyone as they would know that they have to label food correctly. What is more worrying is that this happened at all. If another type of meat can be put into products which end up on peoples plates without the knowledge of the producer, what else could have been gotten into the "Food Chain".

I'd be pissy about fake labeling, but I couldn't care if it's a horse or a cow I'm chewing on, might sound harsh, but every animal is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    They are very smart animals that live a long time.
    And cows and pigs aren't? Heck, pigs and dogs are very relatable, it just so happens that one is getting mass slaughtered while the other has been deemed a cute family pet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Not true at all. You even list some in your previous post. Gators, snakes, and many fish. Carnivores are not designed to be eaten, though. They are designed to kill and have the physical anatomy to do so, which happens to not be the tastiest of rigs.
    I dont think animal is designed to be eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    no problem with eating horsemeat but it shouldn't be labeled as beef
    this realy is spot on ... dont mind atall eating horse meat .... but if its sold as somthing else ....... pitchforks and torches tbh.

Sure I would eat it and I know that horse meat can taste good. I would never eat dog or cat tho, mostly because I have a dog myself and I couldn't imagine cat meat being good, but who knows?

I don't like the idea of eating horses. There are some animals we generally do not eat, usually because we consider them as companions.

Horses are treated more like friends than food, that's why alot of people are adversed to it. I think of them like cats or dogs.

Would you happily eat dog?