PCI-E SSD vs Regular SSD

I've been doing a little research of late and I've found something I didn't know existed and that's PCI-E SSDs. I know for the most part that they're a lot more expensive but I found one on newegg that's only $117 USD and I'm wondering if it would be worth picking up over the original ssd I had planned on.

PCI-E: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227709

Standard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

If you can manage to find an 830, I would recommend that any day of the week; They are currently going out of stock everywhere though. The 840 pro is an acceptable substitute.

As for PCI-E SSDs in general, they are definitely faster. But the superior sustained speeds are just big numbers - they will have little impact to most non-specific usage areas.
    I feel the technology is too immature and... finnicky at this point in time (esp with older units such as that) to at all be worth it in a non-enterprise environment.

I agree with Tetris, PCI-E drives are only for true enthusiast with a lot of money to spend. You want at least a Revodrive 3 to even consider going down that path.
    They start at around $300 and most people will not notice the performance difference with the lower end model like that.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Samsung 830 @Buydig
    Samsung 830 @Amazon Not sure about the "only 1 in stock" and $130.

The Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB is still a good buy at $109

For $87 you can get the Samsung 840 yes it's not the same durable NAND as in M4 and 830 but really for that price it's quite good (for the average user) and it won't break anytime soon just because of that.

Deleted
    PCI-E SSDs are generally for server use. Client machines are already generally bottlenecked by CPU power by SATA6 drives.

Pretty much the exclusive case where you aren't is file copying (and you'd still need two individual drives)... but SSDs rarely have the capacity to sustain that for more than a few minutes.

You'll see PCI-E SSDs in a lot of enterprise/database environments - but not in consumer machines.

The revodrives as I recall, were also not really the pinackle of stability. Plus their formfactor makes mounting them significantly harder, and you completely lose Laptop compatability.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend the 840 before the 840 Pro (if you cant find an 830). The 840 Pro is faster... But it's not faster in any way a normal person with normal use can see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd recommend the 840 before the 840 Pro (if you cant find an 830). The 840 Pro is faster... But it's not faster in any way a normal person with normal use can see.
    Hey you're calling me "not normal"! Not fair. Price performance is pretty good for the 840 but hey I skipped dinner one day and bought the Pro instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 840 pro is certainly nice. I just think that for the $30-40 it costs extra... If you upgraded the 840 to the 840 Pro... you wouldn't 'see' (as in experience) a difference. Benchmarks will surely show a difference, but not in every day stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The 840 pro is certainly nice. I just think that for the $30-40 it costs extra... If you upgraded the 840 to the 840 Pro... you wouldn't 'see' (as in experience) a difference. Benchmarks will surely show a difference, but not in every day stuff.
    I feel a difference even if it's only placebo. You're right though if you're on a tight budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I feel a difference even if it's only placebo. You're right though if you're on a tight budget.
    After taking so many econ classes, everyone is on a tight budget to me >.>

I mean, certainly, if the money is no different, the better one is still better.