Poll: Worst Expansion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt like how colorful and cartoonish BC was but it was when I started and I do kinda have fond memories of it. Wrath is my fav because I love the macabre feel of it, the dark gritty theme. Cata Had some great moments like DW flying around the first few months destroying everything, transmog but over all I found it pretty dissapointing, and it seemed to go back the the crystal theme of bc that I didnt like so much. I am loving MOP although I am not subscribed right now and I am kinda worn out on wow atm because of how long I have been playing wow.

My ranking is Wrath > Mop > BC > Cata.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2013-02-11 at 12:34 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    You started 6 months before Vanilla launched

Nice one
    He was probably in beta

Cata design made several mistakes.

The leveling quests were fantastic ...BUT... Because the experience lets you out level before your excellent questlines ended, it was badly tuned in experience gains, so unless you put off EXPERIENCE, you didn't see the epic ending of these quests.

There was no new continent in the end game. You jumped from one zone to another. Azeroth was no longer that one huge wonderful open world you knew. It became a jumping to hoops game, and many people did not like that. I hate it in games like GW2.

So by the lack of one new continent Cata fell apart in little pieces. The fact only ONE questline was available in the end game was not very good in questing with your alts.

Also: people tend to prefer the expansion where they were the most occupied with or where they started in the end game. So it is no surprise lots like TBC, but at the time TBC was not that popular either.

In fact the latest active expansion always gets tons of critical comments.

I think WOTLK was a little bit too easy, but overall the story ended nicely with WOTLK. Now you get the impression more content and more story is put on top, but the pyramid was already build with WOTLK, so it is very difficult to put expansions over that top again.

The China expansion is not very liked in the East I guess! Morhaime stated most of the latest sub losses came from China.

The problem you have now is that WoW is too huge for new players, so what to do in the next expansion?
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-11 at 12:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    You started 6 months before Vanilla launched

Nice one
    21 December 2004 Was when I started playing. It came out on 23 November, 2004. I had to wait a month after it was released to get my copy because of bills and expenses.

As for the funny way of dating it was because I opened up my account page and looked at the date. Blizzard uses the military date method of Day/Month/Year.

Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-02-11 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy, the newest expansion. All the time about how it ruined wow.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    It's still shows a very different result to what we see today. You seem to be failing to grasp my point that Wrath wasn't loved as best expansion when it was still fresh in everyone's memories. The polls that featured Wrath show a very different result to the ones that are taken today:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Best+expansion

This is the entire point of my argument, which is something you fail to be grasping. Wrath was unpopular amongst the long time raiding community. It coined such phrased as Wrath baby and is generally paraded as the banner for dumbing down and quick irrelevancy of previous tiers. This was the xpac that gave us rehashed Naxx as the first raid, Ulduar is largely considered one of the best raids of all time, however ToC was seen as lazy, short and boring. ICC was a decent raid, however the time we had to live with it made us never want to see it again.

Roll around to present day and we see a sharp rise in the love of WOTLK.

Consistently (in the past) when asked what was the best expansion, TBC has been the winner. Today Wrath now takes the crown.

Believe whatever you will, but Wrath was not popular at Cata release. It may not be as unpopular as Cata is today, but it was not some Golden Egg of an expansion that was loved by everyone since time immemorial.
    Wrath was never as unpopular as some would have you believe, the shift towards it being more popular than TBC has little to do with people changing their minds, although there will be some, it is mostly due to different people voting. It is likely that as time goes on there are less and less people answering these polls that have actually played during TBC so the amount of people that can vote for TBC with any knowledge of what it was like will decrease.

Cata was the worst. Purely because there were so few new things to do as patches went on. It was awesome at launch. A major content patch with nothing but 2 rehashed dungeons while removing the old raids... lame. Only 3 total raid tiers. Final content patch going on for a year... bad idea.

Oops. For some reason I thought it was "best expansion" and put Wrath.

I started early BC and MoP is probably my least favorite so far, with Wrath being my top and Cata right after, then BC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was incredibly unsatisfied with Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harakhte View Post
    I am really curious (and always have been) about the Cata hate. I suspect a large percentage of it is from players who started in Wrath, and dislike the drastic change Cata took on Wrath design. If there were a way to do it, I wish I could poll just those who have played since Vanilla/early-BC and see if the large Cata percentage drops to more even w/Wrath (as I suspect currently it might).
    Started playing in December of 2005, although I haven't been subbed continuously since then. I unsub during lulls in content or when I have better shit to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Wrath was never as unpopular as some would have you believe, the shift towards it being more popular than TBC has little to do with people changing their minds, although there will be some, it is mostly due to different people voting. It is likely that as time goes on there are less and less people answering these polls that have actually played during TBC so the amount of people that can vote for TBC with any knowledge of what it was like will decrease.
    Seeing as I've been here for every expac launch, I'm pretty confident with my stance that Wrath was unpopular with the raiding community for most people who didn't start playing then.

Yes you are correct that the number of TBC players is decreasing, however you will see a shift in attitude from the older players now that there is an expac gap. I myself now look back at Wrath with some fondness, even though it killed the raiding model that I enjoyed so much. Just the fact that it brought Ulduar to the World of Warcraft alone is enough for me to rank a close second behind TBC.

voted for mop. boring as hell
    Casual.

TBC > WotLK > MoP > Cata

Cata's rework of the classic world, while needed, completely destroyed the "world" feeling and just made it a railroad to 60. Most people probably don't care about that aspect of it, but it changed WoW irrevocably for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    21 December 2004 Was when I started playing. It came out on 23 November, 2004. I had to wait a month after it was released to get my copy because of bills and expenses.

As for the funny way of dating it was because I opened up my account page and looked at the date. Blizzard uses the military date method of Day/Month/Year.

Everywhere that is not the United Statesd uses Day/Month/Year

But anyway, you typoed it as 21 not 12, there was only one way to read that. So yeah all good

Still don't understand why everyone loved BC so much I thought it is easily one of the worst expansions in WoW. the first 6 months had barly any good end game content level 70 was a utter disappointment, the dungeon system was terrible, the amount of rep grinding was worse then MOP and pvp was pretty much broken thanks to the sloppy arena throw in. I hardly survived playing through BC, If it wasn't for wrath I doubt I would of kept coming back

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Everywhere that is not the United Statesd uses Day/Month/Year

But anyway, you typoed it as 21 not 12, there was only one way to read that. So yeah all good
    oops I'm dyslexic like crazy. (why on earth is the condition spelled so I have to use spell check to spell it. it should be 'Backwards Letters and Numbers condition')

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    oops I'm dyslexic like crazy. (why on earth is the condition spelled so I have to use spell check to spell it. it should be 'Backwards Letters and Numbers condition')
    "Dys" is from the greek for "bad" or "abnormal", and "lexia" is "relating to speech or words". *shrug* It's a scientific name, if it weren't annoying or hard to remember in some form it wouldn't be a proper name :-P

(Side note: the reason we write our dates that way is because that's the way we say our dates. "Today is February 10th, 2013; 02/10/2013". Not debating which is better, and in fact I personally would write "10-Feb-13" to eliminate all chance of confusion, just commenting.)

My favorite expansion may still be Wrath, though TBC and its version of the Prot Paladin still has some fond memories for me... part of it's definitely style though. Cata didn't have much (and what little it did have I didn't like), and MoP's while appropriate, just doesn't do as much for me.

Cata was boring from lvl 80 to lvl 85

MoP is boring at level 90

All I can say after hitting 88 with my toon and after Kun lai summit, i'm just of sick all this chinatown shit

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they were all good. My favorite as far as theme goes was Burning Crusade, because I like weird and different things.

Cataclysm was bad and was a major reason I stopped playing WOW at that time.

However, I voted MOP being the worst since it caused me to not return like I thought I would and had planned to.

(2) I am really curious (and always have been) about the Cata hate. I suspect a large percentage of it is from players who started in Wrath, and dislike the drastic change Cata took on Wrath design. If there were a way to do it, I wish I could poll just those who have played since Vanilla/early-BC and see if the large Cata percentage drops to more even w/Wrath (as I suspect currently it might).
    I voted for Cata, though I quit before MOP came out so it's possible I may have hated it more. I did not start in Wrath however. I started later in vanilla a little under a year before BC was released IIRC (Naxx came out shortly after, so that sounds about right). I disliked Cata because the story was horribly executed, most of the raid bosses sucked, and I hated the healing model. Whenever I say that people say I must be a Wrath baby for hating mana management but that's really not true. I really enjoyed the 5SR/Downranking model of mana management from BC and Vanilla. The Cata style was boring and made me feel weak. I guess when they said they would bring back mana management I was wrong to hope for something like BC and vanilla.

edit: why am I here if I quit? I've been missing the old WoW a lot lately so have been reading some about MOP. But ultimately it probably doesn't have what I am looking for at all. Maybe they will do a free trial one of these days.