State of Mage or Monk for 5.2?

Hey guys, I'm seeking advice on which would be an overall better spec to play for all rated PVP in 5.2

I initially heard WW Monks were getting nice buffs, and I levelled one to 50 so far. But from what I understand their healing suddenly got nerfed to hell, worse than live. No idea why. Can someone clarify on the state of monks?

Mages, I haven't kept up but it seems they're getting buffed as well. I haven't played them before but I'm guessing if I survived at 1600+ as ele shaman I can handle mages lol.

Can people discuss their status on the PTR so far?

- I have no preference for ranged or melee
    - I only started arenas for the first time when 5.1 hit, and have hit 1700~ before my teammate quit wow. I'm still new, but would be willing to learn any complexities of the class.
    - If possible, but less important, I want to do well in that spec in PVE as well so I have something to do during non-PVP time.

*Can't get into PTR to test for myself btw, cos of it says my account's cataclysm. Shrug.
    ** I know, FOTM alert, but have some pity on someone who PVPed as a Ret and Elemental this season. I've suffered enough
    Last edited by Booniehat; 2013-02-19 at 06:31 PM.

To answer your question on the state of monks, blizzard ignored almost all Beta feedback so it turned into Over nurfing then Over buffing every patch.

I always get a good chuckle out of the "Monk healing is so bad."

I have been in multiple 1800+ rbgs where Monk healing is ridiculous. On top of that they are a pain in the ass to kill.

In regards to Mages...they are always a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    I always get a good chuckle out of the "Monk healing is so bad."

I have been in multiple 1800+ rbgs where Monk healing is ridiculous. On top of that they are a pain in the ass to kill.

In regards to Mages...they are always a good choice.
    You clearly don't realize there is two types of healing, single target and AOE. In an rbg a monk can really flourish because they can just ReM mist everyone and constantly spam uplift while other healers focus on the spikes similar to Raiding. In arenas, Your essentialy Single target healing our healing surge/flash of light costs an absurd amount of mana which leads up to oom quite easily, our Greater heal is a hot and our basic heal is a channel. There is no real way to deal with burst other than spamming healing sphere or healing surge. Now healing sphere is pretty good except theres a delay from the time you place it and when it heals. Which leads into the second problem, I doubt your teamate would stand still while getting blown up. All three T30 talents deal damage which could potentialy break CC's which makes them problematic in arena. So yeah outside of Arenas ,which is really the only aspect of pvp that matters, is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    So yeah outside of Arenas ,which is really the only aspect of pvp that matters, is good.
    I believe the Op said that he was referring to rated pvp which I believe has two branches... Arena & RBG's yes?

Also curious why Arena is the only aspect of pvp that matters? Please do not get me wrong, I have MUCH respect for people that do high level Arena's. I do not have much of a taste for Arena, maybe that will change but I clearly stated my POV from rbgs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    I believe the Op said that he was referring to rated pvp which I believe has two branches... Arena & RBG's yes?

Also curious why Arena is the only aspect of pvp that matters? Please do not get me wrong, I have MUCH respect for people that do high level Arena's. I do not have much of a taste for Arena, maybe that will change but I clearly stated my POV from rbgs.
    Because Arena is where the "skill" and game knowledge really comes into play as well as reactions. You can clearly see all the 2.2k+ rated RBG players with their t2 gear sitting under 1800 in almost every bracket. Perfect example of how gear only does so much to make you better in arena.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

Hey guys to clarify, by Monks I meant WW monks, not Mistweaver.

And please don't turn this into a RBG vs Arena discussion, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post

then please read the rules next time. what should i reroll topics are not allowed on mmo-champ

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post

One of WW major flaws was addressed in the recent ptr. We now have a "second trink" if you will that removes stuns, roots/slows, and fear. Secondary effect reduces the effects applied after by 60% for 6 seconds. With paralysis becomeing baseline 20(might be 30) yard range, our mobility became a lot less awkward. We have high and more controlable burst via Tiger eye's brew stacking to 20 and mastery increaseing its damage. As of recent ptr build healing got increased on chi wave which is pretty much the only T30 heal a WW monk should use. It's going to be a rare use in pvp, but we got a new ability called storm earth and fire, Bascicaly a glorified cleave but with a twist. Don't feel like going into detail on it just look up the ability. Alot of abilites became free from a Chi cost which leaves more room for attacks.

Deleted
    We can't tell you what to play, you'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people , just find out what you enjoy the most and/or are best at depending on what your in-game goals are and go with that. Discussing class balance is fine, however, but still.

PS: WW healing is fine far as I know, last time friend faced one on PTR like 2 days ago they healed about as much as a shadow priest.