Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Did you care about not seeing high-end raids during TBC/Vanilla?

So this really got me curious, during TBC (I only played one week before TBC release) I did not care that much about seeing every raid available. I remember when the Sunwell launched, I saw the cinematic and thought "shit, that looks cool as fuck" but I didnt think that "Wow, I demand to do that, seeing I pay the same fee as the core raiders". I insted looked up to those guys doing BT/Sunwell thinking, wow their effort in this game sure payed off. They strived for this and they've earned it. Maybe I'll get there one day myself.

Point is, I had a goal to reach, I always had something to strive for. If I could just see the instance itself I'd be so happy.

Im not making this thread to bash on the fact that WoW has gone with the model "Everyone shall see the content" and I agree, it is truely good that they did that, but I atleast, really miss the fact to have something to truely strive for. (Im not an heroic raider, but I have still seen the content they do) so its not the same, not for me atleast.

I made this thread just to see if anyone shares my opinion
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I did. When I'd watch a trailer or preview I'd go "Oh look, more stuff I will never get to do."

I honestly didn't care much, i was in a guild that was at SSC/TK and i still had fun, my guild knew how to have a good time even if we didn't down every boss.

Deleted
    As someoner who only started playing raids half way in TBC. No I did not...I did not work for it, so I didn't earn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is not made for me (I saw and killed it all), but I'll still add my 2 cents:

Back then, it was a different game, in a different time.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The difference was that you were still new to the game, so there were other things to keep you entertained because the game was still shiny and new. Heck, leveling was still interesting (and not because of the difficulty). Now, after playing the game for 5 years, would you enjoy just questing? Most people wouldn't.

i saw them, teheheee..

hardcoreraiding gets boring after a while... i like the new system :3

I didn't get to see much of Naxx because of my job, and again I missed Sunwell because I was deployed. I guess I was sort of sad I didn't get it see them, however I don't think I'm the player you are aiming the question at. I cleared the other content while it was current.

Right now, I haven't raided at all in MoP (outside of LFR) and it doesn't bother me.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Yes I did. When I'd watch a trailer or preview I'd go "Oh look, more stuff I will never get to do."
    This. Also, "Oh look, it's almost time for t6 guilds to pillage my guild of tanks and healers again so we can be forced back into attuning new recruits and slogging through Kara yet again."
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    No I didn't. At the time, I was busy exploring the content that I had access to. However, when I got a taste of how powerful you could become when raiding I started looking into tanking and making it my goal to see all the content. I joined a guild, and slowly progressed through TBC and had an awesome time.

I was in a casual guild back then and we cleared everything. So the argument of I don't have enough time for this shit is pretty invalid imo. I miss those days though. =(

10+ Year Old Account
    I started like right before BC so I didnt get to see Vanilla raid content, but with BC I got to Hyjal but didn't get to experience BT or Sunwell and was kinda bummed, I always want to see raid content, as I experienced all of wotlk, cata, and a little MoP. I love raid content myself and always look forward to seeing the next tier of raids.

Yes, that's why I worked hard to earn my spot getting into them.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly no, my end game was what I made my end game and that was 5 man heroics and led onto Karazhan and the other two mini raids. I was content with that and that was the great thing about BC, end game was long that the end game was different for others. If you put work in then you saw those higher tier raids.

One thing I don't understand is how people complain that they don't get to see the content when it's been literally posted (video footage and whatnot) on the web, that's what I did whenever I was curious "back in the day". But alas, my opinion is my opinion.
    Hey everyone

No. It gave me a reason to get good at the game. I went on to kill Arthas on 25 heroic. Now people can kill end of expansion bosses while watching Game of Thrones on their other monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Honestly no, my end game was what I made my end game and that was 5 man heroics and led onto Karazhan and the other two mini raids. I was content with that and that was the great thing about BC, end game was long that the end game was different for others. If you put work in then you saw those higher tier raids.

One thing I don't understand is how people complain that they don't get to see the content when it's been literally posted (video footage and whatnot) on the web, that's what I did whenever I was curious "back in the day". But alas, my opinion is my opinion.
    I don't understand why people would want to risk their lives skydiving when they can just watch videos of people doing it.

When the game was new, there was just so MUCH content to consume that not being able to do one part didn't really matter because there was so much else to choose from.

Now, all that content has been consumed. And we consume content much, much faster than Blizz can possibly make it. If I run out of content, I go do something else. Some other game gets my attention.

I don't know about you, but I do not play video games to "strive" for anything. I play to have fun. Striving is reserved to real world activities with real world consequences. If I'm not having fun, if I'm bored, I do something else. Entertainment is inherently disposable. Blizzard knows this, and is in a constant battle against players getting bored or not having fun.

I did see them, but before I did (it took some doing) it was an excellent thing to strive towards, and not get handed to me, since that destroys its entire value; ie catalysm/mop.

Agreed back in TBC I felt it was more about the journey less about the destination. I personally started raiding early in TBC but only sought a guild that could full clear content much later after the release of Sunwell and I will say even after clearing all the tier four and part of tier five every week for over a year I was still having fun and looking forward to progressing through what by that time was already considered old content.

I raided all the way through Sunwell while everything was still current, so this thread doesn't really concern me. However, I'll say that I if I hadn't been raiding I wouldn't have continued playing. There's simply not enough else to do, and I still feel that way, if I wasn't in a progression guild I'd certainly have quit by now, seeing as the only other thing to do is arenas.

The changes they've made have been good, allowing everyone to see content means that there's more for everyone to do, which means people will play for longer. Game is a lot different now than in TBC, but it is better in some ways (worse in others, but that's bound to happen)

I didn't really care, no. I remember when my friend showed me Shattrath for the first time, I was like "woooow, so that's how it looks like" (I somehow hadn't thought of searching for it on youtube, I had only seen it on the map)

The first time I stepped into Outland, same reaction. The first time I saw Gruul, "Holy shit, that's BADASS!" The first time [Inser whatever was kinda lore heavy/cool looking], [insert nerdy response]